• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I seek help! Galactus arrives at your planet in a ship
1 1

56 posts in this topic

I seek help! Galactus arrives at your planet in a ship

Hi all,

I have a customer asking me to do an art commission, and he is asking for a Silver Surfer cover, but he also wants the page to include the ship of Galactus.

Now I am embarrassed to admit this, but I am not certain exactly what ship Galactus would be in, I believe it would be the spherical ship based on what I read in this article:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/galactus-ship/4055-55839/

The Star Sphere

Galactus uses a smaller spherical ship to travel the cosmos to consume planets. It is used to reserve Galactus' energy.

Searching google I find the big G has several different ships.

Which ship is it?

After getting the consensus here, I will ask my customer what ship he wants but I would like to be more informed when I have that discussion.

Thanks!

GalactusSphereWarp.jpg

4451279-2987278655-Taa2_.jpg

Galactus'_Ship_(Earth-634962)_from_Silver_Surfer_(Animated_Series)_Season_1_1_0001.jpg

I think of the second one

24e842a9e1086008eb0c0ab9b50a6165.jpg

but then again I am a kid of the 80s and that's the one that was shown during 80s events like Marvel Super Hero Secret War...

What era is your requester from? that might inform what he's expecting...

8 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I think of the second one

24e842a9e1086008eb0c0ab9b50a6165.jpg

but then again I am a kid of the 80s and that's the one that was shown during 80s events like Marvel Super Hero Secret War...

What era is your requester from? that might inform what he's expecting...

He is late 40's in age. He tends to ask for silver age/ bronze age art.

57 minutes ago, skrank said:

I'd go with whichever you think you can make the best use of, i.e. composition, layout, figure/ground.

The sphere might be easier in that regard, but that second one is one hot mess!

The second one is absolutely gargantuan in size and if I were to include it on my page it would be partial at best as it is larger than planets typically.

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

The second one is absolutely gargantuan in size and if I were to include it on my page it would be partial at best as it is larger than planets typically.

Show it off in the distance?

6 minutes ago, piper said:

Show it off in the distance?

To look as imposing in size as it should it would still be partial. The ship literally dwarfs the planet Jupiter in size. Look at the image I posted: those are planets around it.

If I understand you right, you are doing a cover re-creation and needing to add the ship? Or are you doing an all-original piece? 

In either case the sphere will lend itself easily to most any composition, and you could de-emphasize it by size/simplicity to the point it works for you. 

The Kirby ship is so complex it'd risk overtaking Galactus and Surfer figures, presumably the focus of your image.  Unless, as said,  you showed it off in the distance, which I don't think is that problematic.

1 minute ago, skrank said:

If I understand you right, you are doing a cover re-creation and needing to add the ship? Or are you doing an all-original piece? 

In either case the sphere will lend itself easily to most any composition, and you could de-emphasize it by size/simplicity to the point it works for you. 

The Kirby ship is so complex it'd risk overtaking Galactus and Surfer figures, presumably the focus of your image.  Unless, as said,  you showed it off in the distance, which I don't think is that problematic.

original piece

5 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Why don't you ask the guy which Galactus ship he means?  

I did, his answer is : "whatever ship he uses when he is going to eat a Planet?"

He doesn't know what it looks like. I am trying to educate him. :)

I am thinking the sphere based on the webpage information I linked above.

Edited by Artboy99

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I did, his answer is : "whatever ship he uses when he is going to eat a Planet?"

He doesn't know what it looks like. I am trying to educate him. :)

I am thinking the sphere based on the webpage information I linked above.

here's the ship he used when he went to eat Ego:

thor-160-19.jpg

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

To look as imposing in size as it should it would still be partial. The ship literally dwarfs the planet Jupiter in size. Look at the image I posted: those are planets around it.

Why would a thirty foot  tall person have a house the size of Jupiter? It would take years to get from the living room to the bedroom?

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

Why would a thirty foot  tall person have a house the size of Jupiter? It would take years to get from the living room to the bedroom?

30 years is but a blink of an eye for GALACTUS

Or you could do what the marvel artists do and just create a new ship for him every time they draw the sucker