• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coca-Cola ads in Marvel/DC Comics
1 1

19 posts in this topic

This might sound odd but it occurred to me recently that there seems to be zero coca-cola ads in Marvel/DC comics.

Not sure about moderns but from the 40s to the 80s I cannot find a single example of a coke advertisement in any Marvel/DC comic.

Does anyone know the reason for this? If there are ads for coke could someone provide an example of an issue with them.

I just find it odd because Coca-Cola has always been aggressive with their advertising.

Any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by grayzr

You couldn't just ask for a hostess fruit pie add? lol

Anyway intriguing question, I would think Marvel would have one to coincide with the Avengers/Coke Super Bowl add a couple years ago. hm

IMG_3805.JPG

I recently went to world of coke in Atlanta and it dawned on me. They advertised to virtually every audience. Yet there are no coke ads in pre 90s comics. Never noticed it in the past but now I am curious as to why?

Like most non-toy and cereal manufacture advertisers, Coke's advertising campaigns were geared towards the people that purchased the products.  The theory was that you sought out or targeted the person who controlled the purse/pocket strings.  Coke was targeting mom and dad's via TV ads, ads in magazines, and product placement.  If you look at older Coke advertisements (pre-1970's) you'll see that Coke was driven via image or impressions.  It was about good times.  There were some ads that brought in Speedy, Betty Boop and David Cassidy (for the teen market).  They were conservative in their marketing and it wasn't until Pepsi captured a large chunk of the market that they woke-up and started to be a more aggressive in how they went after market share.  Think the "swing for the fences" ads they attempted with new Coke that was a huge strike-out.

I think they like many companies didn't view kids as having expendable income so they didn't target them.

Edited by Lucky Baru

I don't know much about comics past the 70s, but I don't remember ever seeing a coke ad in any comics ever. I know there was pepsi ads in lots 40s and 50s comics, with the pepsi cop comic and in the 40s some other soda ads like Kooba.

21 hours ago, nepatkm said:

You couldn't just ask for a hostess fruit pie add? lol

Anyway intriguing question, I would think Marvel would have one to coincide with the Avengers/Coke Super Bowl add a couple years ago. hm

IMG_3805.JPG

they should have had the Hulk drinking a 2 liter bottle. That tiny can looks ridiculous-- less than a mouthful for a big guy like that.

13 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

they should have had the Hulk drinking a 2 liter bottle. That tiny can looks ridiculous-- less than a mouthful for a big guy like that.

True, but the commercial was also a contrast to how big The can was to Ant-Man. ( If you zoom in on the can he is on it :) )

And yes a 2 liter would have been much better for both. 

Edited by nepatkm

1 minute ago, 01TheDude said:

good point-- I guess I was just trying to give the Hulk a properly sized beverage

You're absolutely right. A 2 liter would have been better for both purposes. (thumbsu

11 hours ago, HarrisonJohn said:

Weren't ads in comics generally junky stuff? Not really big name brands so much.

For the most part ads back then were coupons for toys or services. There were also bigger companies like General mills who ran ads though.