• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to comics for the most part. Wanting to start collecting X-men 1st series 1963. Where do I start and what are the highlight editions?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

New to comics for the most part.  Wanting to start collecting X-men uncanny 1st series 1963.  Where do I start and what are the highlight editions?  Just got #34 from a comic book store and looking to buy #10 4.0 grade.  Should I look for higher grades?

Edited by BoucheC

Since you did not open a new thread in the "Silver Age" section and the Mods have not moved this thread for you I will respond here.

First let me say, Welcome to the World of Comic Collecting!!!

The original X-Men (Sept. 1963 - ???)  series ran from issue's 1 - 93, issues 1 - 66 were original stories, issues 67 - 93 were reprints of the some of the first 66 issues.

The "New X-Men" started with issue #94.

The first appearance of the "New X-Men" was in Giant Size X-Men #1.

The questions you will be asked are to get the proper response will be....

1)Are there any specific characters/storylines you are really interested in?

Some characters had their first appearance outside of the X-Men series such as Wolverine, Rouge...

2)What is your budget? 

3)Are you looking for raw or graded books?

I only collected up to #150 so IMO the "Key" (disregarding storyline , individual characters or movie tie in's) books in the original X-Men series would be...

X-Men #1,

X-Men #4

X-Men #94

The other X-Men books I am partial to include...

X-Men 2 - 13, 19, 35 and 66 (9 is an Avengers crossover, 35 is a Spider-Man crossover. 66 is a Hulk crossover)

Any other questions, feel free to ask and ENJOY!!!

6 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Since you did not open a new thread in the "Silver Age" section and the Mods have not moved this thread for you I will respond here.

First let me say, Welcome to the World of Comic Collecting!!!

The original X-Men (Sept. 1963 - ???)  series ran from issue's 1 - 93, issues 1 - 66 were original stories, issues 67 - 93 were reprints of the some of the first 66 issues.

The "New X-Men" started with issue #94.

The first appearance of the "New X-Men" was in Giant Size X-Men #1.

The questions you will be asked are to get the proper response will be....

1)Are there any specific characters/storylines you are really interested in?

Some characters had their first appearance outside of the X-Men series such as Wolverine, Rouge...

2)What is your budget? 

3)Are you looking for raw or graded books?

I only collected up to #150 so IMO the "Key" (disregarding storyline , individual characters or movie tie in's) books in the original X-Men series would be...

X-Men #1,

X-Men #4

X-Men #94

The other X-Men books I am partial to include...

X-Men 2 - 13, 19, 35 and 66 (9 is an Avengers crossover, 35 is a Spider-Man crossover. 66 is a Hulk crossover)

Any other questions, feel free to ask and ENJOY!!!

#14 is first Sentinels. = key

Silver Age - key issues:

1-4, 9, 10, 12, 14 are the big ones IMO - but I think a nice collection of #1-15 would be awesome

Bronze Age Key issues (where the X-Men really take off IMO):

Giant Size X-Men #1 and X-Men #94, 101, 109, 120/121, 129, 141/142

Thank you for all the great feedback.  I spent hours last night researching and I look forward to collecting #1 - #10 and I have been searching for #94.  Huge Wolverine Fan!  Also for some reason I am drawn to #9 right now.

If (and only if) you do want to consider future value of what your collection may or may not be worth, you may want to consider the higher grades do tend to go up in value faster....a lot faster. Something you may want weigh in against what your budget is. Both should be considered. If your goal is to simply put the run together, nothing wrong with that.

Some do put a lower grade run together and then slowly upgrade over time. That's another way to do it.

I'm offering this advice, 'cause nobody told me that when I started collecting 38 years ago and I wish someone had. Had I know, I may have done things differently.

Whichever you decide, lotsa' fun.

Good luck.

That is a nice one to start with. Since I have not seen it mentioned yet I would suggest a subscription to GPA, it will not only give you the current market price for the issues you want to obtain but it will also show you where many of them are for sale.

I got back into collecting around 2008 after being away for about twenty years. My first goal was to finish a goal I had as a kid and complete my X-Men run. I am now only three books away. (see sig line)

I have some regrets from when I started back into collecting... most of it as to do with learning about the condition of a book and ensuring I got value.

My advice to you is to stick with CGC until you get a handle on grading books on your own. Decide if you want to go with speed or quality to complete your collection. You can get lower grade books fast, but the pretty books are more expensive and take time. I will be looking to upgrade once I finish my set.

Decide on how much you want to spend in a year and how many books you would like to purchase in a year. Right now, I try to get five CGC graded books a year for my collection. Sometime more, some times less based on the cost of some books.

Also, and most importantly, have fun with your journey!

Edited by Magneto

If you're buying slabbed buy the absolutely highest grade (CGC) with the best page quality that you can find and can afford.  If you only want to read them then buy the Marvel Masterworks.  Note that books with the same grade are not necessarily all equal.  Translated that means buy the book not the CGC grade.

In fact, if you're new to the series, which it appears you may be, you may want to start with the Masterworks, see which issues you like the best and then go after the originals in high grade.  Good luck!

20 hours ago, BoucheC said:

Thank you for all the great feedback.  I spent hours last night researching and I look forward to collecting #1 - #10 and I have been searching for #94.  Huge Wolverine Fan!  Also for some reason I am drawn to #9 right now.

Because #9's cover is so awesome!

11 hours ago, Magneto said:

I got back into collecting around 2008 after being away for about twenty years. My first goal was to finish a goal I had as a kid and complete my X-Men run. I am now only three books away. (see sig line)

I have some regrets from when I started back into collecting... most of it as to do with learning about the condition of a book and ensuring I got value.

My advice to you is to stick with CGC until you get a handle on grading books on your own. Decide if you want to go with speed or quality to complete your collection. You can get lower grade books fast, but the pretty books are more expensive and take time. I will be looking to upgrade once I finish my set.

Decide on how much you want to spend in a year and how many books you would like to purchase in a year. Right now, I try to get five CGC graded books a year for my collection. Sometime more, some times less based on the cost of some books.

Also, and most importantly, have fun with your journey!

I would echo this 100 times over and then some.  

Get familiar with the GPA website for research but realize that the information documented isn't gospel to how every single book will sell today or tomorrow.  

Try to get into a routine of cycling through the sources of SA/BA books (both raw and slabbed).  Whether it's members selling here on the boards, sellers with a web presence, eBay, conventions, or the main auction houses.  Half the fun of the hobby is the hunt for that one piece you're looking for next.  

Don't get into a race to complete a set or run.

Enjoy rediscovering the hobby again.

Echo what others have said with regards to GPA (worth it!) so you get a decent idea of appx market value.    Besides some of the keys, you should be able to put together a nice run without breaking the bank (unless you decide to go for only HG books).  

The #10 you picked up is a nice start.   I like those solid mid-grade books.   You still get a pretty nice book without the HG premiums.    For me, I've found that 7.0-9.0/9.2 is the "sweet spot".   Much more bang for your buck, IMO.   Although, as others have said, the higher grades (in general) appreciate at a better rate. 

I'd also suggest to go for the keys/bigger books first.   Try and get (some of) them out of the way before chasing the "filler" books.    Marvelmania posted this above:

issues 67 - 93 were reprints of the some of the first 66 issues.

Those are books I'd hold off on, personally, and try and get the stuff with original material first. 

18 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Echo what others have said with regards to GPA (worth it!) so you get a decent idea of appx market value.    Besides some of the keys, you should be able to put together a nice run without breaking the bank (unless you decide to go for only HG books).  

The #10 you picked up is a nice start.   I like those solid mid-grade books.   You still get a pretty nice book without the HG premiums.    For me, I've found that 7.0-9.0/9.2 is the "sweet spot".   Much more bang for your buck, IMO.   Although, as others have said, the higher grades (in general) appreciate at a better rate. 

I'd also suggest to go for the keys/bigger books first.   Try and get (some of) them out of the way before chasing the "filler" books.    Marvelmania posted this above:

issues 67 - 93 were reprints of the some of the first 66 issues.

Those are books I'd hold off on, personally, and try and get the stuff with original material first. 

Thank you everyone for all the amazing help, answers and recommendations!!! I have learned a lot over the last few days and super excited about collecting.  1-66 is what I'm going for and 94 on up due to everyone's feedback and yes ofcourse come back and get 67-93.  I really want a nice 94 next!!

I wouldn't go crazy for grade on all of these.  Put the money into nice copies of 1-16, 35.  No one judges a silver age X-men collection on the rest.  You can bang out most of the middle issues in presentable 4.5/5.0 for $5-10 each around here.  I would suggest 7.0 or better from 49-66, they're readily available in nice shape.

Pick up 67-93 when you see them for cheap, but wait until the very end to focus on these.  Many collectors don't feel these issues are essential to a run.  If you don't have the steam to find them all later, don't fight it, just sell them off, and your collection will still look great.

Edited by FineCollector

3 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I wouldn't go crazy for grade on all of these.  Put the money into nice copies of 1-16, 35.  No one judges a silver age X-men collection on the rest.  You can bang out most of the middle issues in presentable 4.5/5.0 for $5-10 each around here.  I would suggest 7.0 or better from 49-66, they're readily available in nice shape.

Pick up 67-93 when you see them for cheap, but wait until the very end to focus on these.  Many collectors don't feel these issues are essential to a run.  If you don't have the steam to find them all later, don't fight it, just sell them off, and your collection will still look great.

Disagree a little, but everyone has their own focus. I just my own X-Men collection for more than just 1-16 and 35

I really couldn't live without collecting the 67-93 as par to mu collection, but I am a completionist when it comes to my X-Men collection. However, just take your time and snipe when the time is right.

Here's another opinion.  If you want to collect XMen for fun buy any issues you want.  High or low grade and have fun.  If you think you really want to be able to look back at some point and be "smart" because they are worth more than you paid? Only buy the few keys and first appearances in the run.  They are all most collectors want anymore, where there's a lot of demand that pushes up values continually over time.

high grade copies of run of the mill issues just don't increase in value anymore. 9.4s are stagnant and in many cases sell for far less than the first few copies to appear in the market.

first appearances of major characters have always been a good way to go.  Lately first appearances of ANY character that ever shows up on TV and Movies sees its prices skyrocket.  So you could get lucky seeking Hg copies of obscure (for now) characters and hope for the press release. 

If you can stomach it, start with #1.  The prices for low grade #1's (.5-2.5) are very reasonable compared to other Marvel classic #1's.  You can always go back and fill the run but the #1 will be in much more expensive book with all the movies coming out in the next few years.