• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will CGC give yellow label for HERO Initiative sketch covers?

26 posts in this topic

Will CGC give yellow label for HERO Initiative sketch covers?

Im putting in bids for some of the upcoming Wonder Woman HERO initiative sketch covers and wonder if CGC will give yellow label for them.

I woild think so since its a unique cover exclusive to the artists but wanted to check here with the experts.

Did we ever get a definitive answer on this?  Looks like there are conflicting opinions and as this project will be handled differently than the last several rounds, it's tough to say for sure.  Anyone get any type of confirmation from either CGC or Hero Initiative?

8 hours ago, Turtle said:

Did we ever get a definitive answer on this?  Looks like there are conflicting opinions and as this project will be handled differently than the last several rounds, it's tough to say for sure.  Anyone get any type of confirmation from either CGC or Hero Initiative?

I received feedback from a HERO representative (the e-mail where proxy bids were sent) and they replied with this:

BONUS: If you are the winning bidder, at your discretion, CGC, the Certified Guaranty Company, will grade and encapsulate your book under its prestigious Signature Series for FREE. The CGC label will not only state the grade, but it will say who drew and signed the comic, the date that it was signed, that it was signed for the Hero Initiative, and all pertinent key and art comments. This is a $34 to $250 value, and you need pay ONLY $18 for return shipping for EACH book submitted. Your book will be sent DIRECTLY to CGC by the Hero Initiative, and returned to you upon its being graded and encapsulated.

Yes, even the Wonder Woman HERO books will qualify for CGC Signature Series, but you have to specify you want CGC SS Grading the moment you win and pay for the book. I've got a few going in myself from last Saturday's event. 

6 hours ago, Joel Elad said:

Yes, even the Wonder Woman HERO books will qualify for CGC Signature Series, but you have to specify you want CGC SS Grading the moment you win and pay for the book. I've got a few going in myself from last Saturday's event. 

If you don't mind my asking, which ones did you win Joel? I won the Brereton...

Does anyone know why they've opted to not put these on Ebay this time?  Just curious.

13 hours ago, Turtle said:

Does anyone know why they've opted to not put these on Ebay this time?  Just curious.

Pretty sure this is a DC thing.  None of the DC Hero Initiative books are ever put on eBay, as I believe there may have been some sort of spat with eBay.  Maybe someone else knows the official story here.

One of the stipulations that DC gave HERO Initiative, for both the JLA covers and now these covers, is that they do not want to have the originals auctioned off on eBay. I am unsure as to why they said that, but this is a request from DC. It's why those books are auctioned off locally and not on eBay

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, Joel Elad said:

One of the stipulations that DC gave HERO Initiative, for both the JLA covers and now these covers, is that they do not want to have the originals auctioned off on eBay. I am unsure as to why they said that, but this is a request from DC. It's why those books are auctioned off locally and not on eBay. 

Thanks Joel!

2 hours ago, bigcbass said:

I bet Hero Initiative is shooting themselves for this format.  The Phoenix books went super cheap. 

It's not Hero Initiaitve's doing, it's DC that directed Hero not to sell the originals on Ebay. Why is still somewhat unclear but rest assured it's not Hero wanting to do the onsite "auctions."

14 hours ago, bigcbass said:

I bet Hero Initiative is shooting themselves for this format.  The Phoenix books went super cheap. 

Paolo Rivera had a good showing... I was going after that one but max bid was about 1,000 too short, lol.

I'm hoping for better success at Auction #3.

I bid on about 20 of these and this was the only one I won.  The grade is actually decent.  Looked like only about half were 9.8 or 9.6's.  There was one 6.0, thank goodness it wasn't mine!  Not my fav but just glad to have one.

WWHI.jpg.13c1ed02146b32e670b66f42b4e8ee88.jpg

22 hours ago, bigcbass said:

I bid on about 20 of these and this was the only one I won.  The grade is actually decent.  Looked like only about half were 9.8 or 9.6's.  There was one 6.0, thank goodness it wasn't mine!  Not my fav but just glad to have one.

WWHI.jpg.13c1ed02146b32e670b66f42b4e8ee88.jpg

Which one got a 6.0? Mine came back 9.2 and 9.4 (Brereton and Migliari, respectively.)