• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Store Exclusive Variants Thread!
2 2

158 posts in this topic

So there's always posts in all the separate "Celebrate artist X" threads about store exclusives for a certain artist or character. I thought we should have a thread that lists all the store variants announced so that people interested can find it easier.

I'll start by showing a couple that I'm aware of:

KRS Comics: Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-man #1 by Stanley "Artgerm" Lau - Released 6/30/17
KRS%20Peter%20Parker_zpsamykxx5o.png

Unknown Comics: Weapons of Mass Destruction #1 by Stanley "Artgerm" Lau - Released 7/21/17
WOMD%20Unknown_zpsofwxmjki.jpg

This thread is a great idea. There's been a ton of store exclusives lately, most of them pretty damn awesome.

My Fav so far is the KRS Guardians of the Galaxy cover by Natali Sanders

170407072128.jpg?v=1494282870

I love EVERYTHING Natali Sanders does.. i'll throw all my money at an exclusive from her. Kinda feel like Her and Mattina are going to be the next generation of Campbell and Dellotto's. 

1 minute ago, Jonnywadd said:

There have been a ton of store exclusives and definitely some cool ones, but I think they are really starting to steer collectors away from books.  IMO

Depends on the collector IMHO If buying these is the only way to get sick covers by your favorite or a super Hot artist like Natali Sanders then its a no brainer. Even the flippers have been doing well with them.

Sure does depend on the collector.  Collectors may try to collect cover artists work no matter what it is, but from what I've witnessed these store variants have lead people away from certain titles.

9 hours ago, siro123 said:

I love me some artgerm.

I have all his covers so here we go again !

Not retailer exclusive but Astonishing X-Men #1 will have a 1:1000 variant by Artgerm. I love it (Romy) but no way I'm spending that much. :sorry:

The 3 to 4 different variant covers is getting a bit old and expensive. Feels like a massive money grab/rip off if all that has changed is the coloring i.e. sketch, fade, copic, partial color/sketch, virgin cover.

In saying that, there have been some really good ones of late. 

On 5/18/2017 at 4:51 PM, Hickok8AA8 said:

Whoever decides to start breaking up the 3 pack to get the virgin, and selling individually instead, is going to gain major points among the community. $75+ per sale is just not going to sustain itself.

These don't hold value. Not original release value anyway. I just got JL vs. SS #1, Artgerm virgin variant. When it was released in the set of 3, the virgin was going for $60+. I picked up a 9.8 (raw) for $23 shipped. I'm all about the virgins (lol!). I buy for the art, so anything obstructing it is an eye sore imho. 

My current list is (All virgin covers)

PP Spec Spider-Man #1 Artgerm 

GoTG #1 Natalie Sanders 

Venom #6 Mattina Full or partial mask variant 

All-New Wolverine #19 Artgerm 

Captain America #600 DF Ross variant 

I'm on the fence about the Iron Fist #1 Dell'Otto cover... 

On 5/18/2017 at 1:15 PM, Zacreth said:

So there's always posts in all the separate "Celebrate artist X" threads about store exclusives for a certain artist or character. I thought we should have a thread that lists all the store variants announced so that people interested can find it easier.

I'll start by showing a couple that I'm aware of:

KRS Comics: Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-man #1 by Stanley "Artgerm" Lau - Released 6/30/17
KRS%20Peter%20Parker_zpsamykxx5o.png

So Mary Jane Deadppol X-23? That doesn't really scream Peter Parker #1, but who cares, right?!?

41 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

So Mary Jane Deadppol X-23? That doesn't really scream Peter Parker #1, but who cares, right?!?

Um, red costume? nuff said. 

On 5/19/2017 at 8:48 PM, Gunnz said:

These don't hold value. Not original release value anyway. I just got JL vs. SS #1, Artgerm virgin variant. When it was released in the set of 3, the virgin was going for $60+. I picked up a 9.8 (raw) for $23 shipped. I'm all about the virgins (lol!). I buy for the art, so anything obstructing it is an eye sore imho. 

I agree for 90% of them, but there are rare cases where you're not going to get it cheaper months later. If I had the choice to buy just the cover I want and not be forced to buy the 3 pack I would have a different attitude towards store variants. I understand they're just trying to maximize profit and try to cover costs, but it just seems like they're gearing the sales towards speculators and deep pockets. Something along these lines would bring in a lot more of my business:

Regular color cover: $9.99-$14.99

B&W: $19.99-$24.99

Virgin: $39.99-$49.99, limit 1 or 2  per customer

All covers: $64.99-79.99

30 minutes ago, Hickok8AA8 said:

I agree for 90% of them, but there are rare cases where you're not going to get it cheaper months later. If I had the choice to buy just the cover I want and not be forced to buy the 3 pack I would have a different attitude towards store variants. I understand they're just trying to maximize profit and try to cover costs, but it just seems like they're gearing the sales towards speculators and deep pockets. Something along these lines would bring in a lot more of my business:

Regular color cover: $9.99-$14.99

B&W: $19.99-$24.99

Virgin: $39.99-$49.99, limit 1 or 2  per customer

All covers: $64.99-79.99

The cost to produce these sets tho are incredible. Plus if you use Marvel or DC there is a minumum print run you have to commit to.

If you don't sell them as sets you'll be stuck with 2000 copies of cover  A. Thats why they are sold in sets. The only chance you have to make your money back and hopefully a little profit is to sell them this way.

I don't mind paying 75$ for a set of 3 as long as the art and the artist is amazing ie Natali Sanders or Dell'Otto 

59 minutes ago, the authority said:

How much does it cost to produce a set ? 

Order minimums:

Cover A: 3000

Cover B: 1500

Cover C: 1000

Cover D: 1000

I think discount over cover is still ~50% so $2 per $3.99 book.

Plus fee for the artist.

Guessing the set pays for the artist and subsidizes unsold copies of the higher print run covers.

Edited by aerischan