• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Silver Age Long Term Investments (On a Budget)
3 3

134 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2017 at 0:13 PM, Dogsupreme said:

It's actually quite easy if you invested in the right books. Just for fun I pulled my OVERSTREET from 2003 (not quite 10 years ago but it was the most recent one I could find at arm's length). Here are some prices for 6.0 copies of certain key silver age then:

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #14      $480

ACTION #252     $417

DETECTIVE #359     $36

STRANGE TALES #110     $309

WEREWOLF BY NIGHT #32     $27

HULK #181     $210

BATMAN ADVENTURES #12     $3

AMAZING FANTASY #15     $3789

AVENGERS #1      $681

AVENGERS #57     $30

BATMAN #232      $33

BATMAN #251     $21

NEW MUTANTS #98     $5

X-MEN #1     $1737

BRAVE and BOLD #28     $1155

and that's a small sample of if you bought these books in mid-grade condition.

I think what really shows here is that modern 1st appearances like deadpool/harley quinn/batgirl/moon knight etc.. are characters that most people really didn't predict would be as hugely popular as they are.  The bluechips like xmen 1 and af15 were already well established.  

So if you want to strike it rich, figure out who the characters are that nobody cares about today but will be popular in 5 years.  Its all a guessing game and thats why nobody can give a straight answer on what to buy.  Just buy something you really want to own, so if you dont make money 10 years out at least you will have enjoyed owning it.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:44 PM, JTLarsen said:

Yeah, the case for 60 is all in 54--no formation of a team, no mention of the phrase "Teen Titans." But if we're talking undervalued silver, I'd say 1st Wonder Girl is already a pretty good bet even if you DON'T factor in the fact that it's the first time we see a group called the Teen Titans!

What's the first appearance of Ant-man?

On 27/06/2017 at 8:47 PM, piper said:

Is any key flying under the radar these days? :ohnoez:

Heh. I often think this. Right now - courtesy of the MCU - there is a great deal of speculation, some of which is fuelled by investors rather than collectors.

It makes things hard. I'm sure more than a few of "the little guys" have been priced out of their own hobby.

If one could go back to 2005 with a hefty amount in the bank, you would now be sitting pretty.

Instead of  picking one or a  few books at $800 each i'd say don't go for any hot  newer issues. Stay  with older proven risers. Second   i think that the  movies will continue to come which  are  in large part driving prices. Better movies will  drive faster. Surprising  to  me the FF movies didn't hurt prices. Not sure every  character can thrive in the  face of  a bad  movie. 

Most suggestions here  are first appearances. Early DC  in  better  condition  i think are rarer. Titles like My Greatest  Adventure in  better  grade are tough  finds and  somewhat like  (not as tough mind  you) like the  50's Atlas  books. basically i  think there are several  underappreciated  titles. Rip Hunter,  Sea Devils, Mystery  in Space.  Later  books in  the  Marvel universe would be  the short lived Inhumans   title. Recently a 9.6 Inhumans  #1 went for  $215 while a raw FF 45 in what looks  like  a  5 to me went for $213. To me,  thats  lagging  in price.

Anyway i think theres merit to the IMPORTANT book school and  the scattershot approach. Books  like  FF 32 or 34 are  really  low priority books  that while not carrying  value like others of  that age  have none the  less appreciated.  Have fun  and good  luck.

22 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Does FF67 trump Thor 165, in the market? Not in my book....

If you actually read through these two books, there is no doubt where you have the 1st. app. But: in this cover driven CGC reality I totally get it if one decides to go for the Thor 165.

On 6/25/2017 at 9:12 PM, 90sChild said:

So if you want to strike it rich, figure out who the characters are that nobody cares about today but will be popular in 5 years.  

Fantastic Four stories and characters are just too good; eventually somebody has to make a great film series.   DItto for Silver Surfer.  A bit more under the radar but also much more viable than people think would include Sgt. Fury (Nick's grandfather; WW2 and Cold War stories), Howard the Duck.   And the first Marvel hero of all.... Amazing Man.  I mean, Namor.