• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Silver Age Long Term Investments (On a Budget)
3 3

134 posts in this topic

Best Silver Age Long Term Investments (On a Budget)

I know most people collect comics for art, stories, or for other reasons. Personally, I like the art and spending money on something that not only do I like the history/ story behind, but something that will only gain value with time.

What are some good silver age comics that you think would be good to invest in for long term? Say you had $800 limit, which book or books for $800 each would you get and hold onto for 10-15 years? Has it shown previous gains each year before this one? 

I like the early villain Amazing Spider-Man books. The Green Goblin (ASM 14) in my opinion should do well over time and you can get one in your price range.....there are other books as well I am sure other members will chip in.

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

In what way is buying $800 worth of comic(s) an 'investment'?

Well, for those starting out, such as myself, I think that's pretty decent for 1 comic book, for a long term investment that is. Everyone has different thoughts on what is expensive or what they can afford. At this time that's what I can get so trying to get thoughts from those experienced or that have been collecting awhile that might know which comics fit the criteria posted.

12 hours ago, SC22 said:

I like the early villain Amazing Spider-Man books. The Green Goblin (ASM 14) in my opinion should do well over time and you can get one in your price range.....there are other books as well I am sure other members will chip in.

I've been eyeing that one a bit, as well as ASM 6 since they are both recognized characters or well known.

21 minutes ago, Dogsupreme said:

Buy what you like is always a good rule. If you are buying for investment then buy stocks.

+1

'Investing' for the long-term in $800 worth of comics is hardly going to generate life-changing returns for you in today's world.  If you've only got a small amount of savings to invest for the long-term, putting that money into a comic book seems inferior as an investment strategy.  Saving more and investing your savings primarily in vehicles that have traditionally built wealth (stocks, bonds, real estate, etc) is much more strongly recommended.  If you've got a bit left over after doing that, having a go at 'investment' comics doesn't seem so bad.

If, on the other hand, comic collecting is a hobby, then buying what you enjoy makes sense.   

Edited by namisgr

37 minutes ago, TheSSurfer said:

I've been eyeing that one a bit, as well as ASM 6 since they are both recognized characters or well known.

Personally I think the Green Goblin is much more known by people in and outside of the hobby. If I had a choice ASM 14 would be it.....but if I was just collecting for the ASM series as a hobby I would buy #6 first.

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

In what way is buying $800 worth of comic(s) an 'investment'?

I understand what you are saying but let the guy make his own choices as far as in what he wants to put his money.....to most of here stocks are so very boring!! I don't think he wants to become rich with a 800$ book just wants to a book he likes that will increase and doe snot really care to much if it 25% or 10% or whatever.

5 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

$800 gets you into range for ASM #122 9.6 WP, ASM #194 9.8, ASM #238 9.8.  All cool covers for display and you won't get hurt owning them.

Good advice and suggestions 

3 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

Buy what you like is always a good rule. If you are buying for investment then buy stocks.

I like a lot of comics and characters, however it does play a part of me to someone make a decent return on it if I'm going to hold onto it for a while.I like a lot of comics and characters, however it does play a part of me to someone make a decent return on it if I'm going to hold onto it for a while.

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

+1

'Investing' for the long-term in $800 worth of comics is hardly going to generate life-changing returns for you in today's world.  If you've only got a small amount of savings to invest for the long-term, putting that money into a comic book seems inferior as an investment strategy.  Saving more and investing your savings primarily in vehicles that have traditionally built wealth (stocks, bonds, real estate, etc) is much more strongly recommended.  If you've got a bit left over after doing that, having a go at 'investment' comics doesn't seem so bad.

If, on the other hand, comic collecting is a hobby, then buying what you enjoy makes sense.   

I mean of course it's not going to generate as much as a 15 or Batman number one has. However if I was to spend $800 on the right comic book and hold onto it for 1015 years who knows how much I'll be able to make back on it. I plan on putting more money into investing on other comics however being said I have $800 now , I'm just trying to see what is out there that would be suggested to use it on instead of something that is just popular for the moment.

2 hours ago, SC22 said:

I understand what you are saying but let the guy make his own choices as far as in what he wants to put his money.....to most of here stocks are so very boring!! I don't think he wants to become rich with a 800$ book just wants to a book he likes that will increase and doe snot really care to much if it 25% or 10% or whatever.

That's exactly what I'm trying to explain. I just want to make sure that if I spend $100 on the comic, that comic isn't going to lose value immediately such as NYX three did or other known comics. I want to make sure that if I'm spending $800 on one comic book, that I'll be able to make that back and then some. Not necessarily become a millionaire LOL.I want to make sure that if I'm spending $800 on one comic book, that I'll be able to make that back and then some. Not necessarily become a millionaire LOL.

Just now, TheSSurfer said:

That's exactly what I'm trying to explain. I just want to make sure that if I spend $100 on the comic, that comic isn't going to lose value immediately such as NYX three did or other known comics. I want to make sure that if I'm spending $800 on one comic book, that I'll be able to make that back and then some. Not necessarily become a millionaire LOL.I want to make sure that if I'm spending $800 on one comic book, that I'll be able to make that back and then some. Not necessarily become a millionaire LOL.

Bingo!!

2 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Everyone starts somewhere and it depends on your goals. I bought books in the past for $500...now 10K+. It all depends and sometimes luck..

Yeah for sure. I've only been doing it for year, and I already have fantastic 448 at a five point no raw and some other key comic books but that's really about it. I just sold some of my other key comic books to make the 800 and now I find it more possible to find a significant or important silver Age comic to obtain, even if it is expensive for a 1.8 or lower

1 minute ago, TheSSurfer said:

Yeah for sure. I've only been doing it for year, and I already have fantastic 448 at a five point no raw and some other key comic books but that's really about it. I just sold some of my other key comic books to make the 800 and now I find it more possible to find a significant or important silver Age comic to obtain, even if it is expensive for a 1.8 or lower

you mean 48 not 448.