• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Silver Age Long Term Investments (On a Budget)
3 3

134 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, TheSSurfer said:

I mean of course it's not going to generate as much as a 15 or Batman number one has. However if I was to spend $800 on the right comic book and hold onto it for 1015 years who knows how much I'll be able to make back on it. I plan on putting more money into investing on other comics however being said I have $800 now , I'm just trying to see what is out there that would be suggested to use it on instead of something that is just popular for the moment.

I would suggest ASM 50 even a 7.0-7.5 would be a great book as prices on that book are increasing every yr as well as ASM 14 in a 5.0 mid grade. That book slowly gains at a nice rate also. But let's not forget a Bronze Age goodness that's like a AF 15 for that era "Hulk 181" even a 3-4.0 would be a nice pick up also as that book is IMO a sold blue chip book even in mid grades as more and more collectors down the road will always be picking them up plus with the higher grades the lower ones eventually will end up being in the four figures. 

3 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

I would suggest ASM 50 even a 7.0-7.5 would be a great book as prices on that book are increasing every yr as well as ASM 14 in a 5.0 mid grade. That book slowly gains at a nice rate also. But let's not forget a Bronze Age goodness that's like a AF 15 for that era "Hulk 181" even a 3-4.0 would be a nice pick up also as that book is IMO a sold blue chip book even in mid grades as more and more collectors down the road will always be picking them up plus with the higher grades the lower ones eventually will end up being in the four figures. 

Agreed Hulk 181 would be very cool!!

16 hours ago, SC22 said:

I like the early villain Amazing Spider-Man books. The Green Goblin (ASM 14) in my opinion should do well over time and you can get one in your price range.....there are other books as well I am sure other members will chip in.

For an ASM 14, 800.00 will get you a 5.0/5.5 at best, hardly a blue chip investment at that grade. I think a better play is to buy a book where 800 gets you a high grade.

3 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

$800 gets you into range for ASM #122 9.6 WP, ASM #194 9.8, ASM #238 9.8.  All cool covers for display and you won't get hurt owning them.

Excuse me, while I like the idea of an ASM 194 in 9.8 as a good investment, 800.00 will not do it. 

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

For an ASM 14, 800.00 will get you a 5.0/5.5 at best, hardly a blue chip investment at that grade. I think a better play is to buy a book where 800 gets you a high grade.

He wants a cool book that will slowly appreciate in value or at least not lose money ASM14 fits that bill.

Just now, SC22 said:

He wants a cool book that will slowly appreciate in value or at least not lose money ASM14 fits that bill.

Don't get me wrong, I like ASM 14 and it is a cool book. But not 'investment' quality at a 5.0 level. I think there are better choices.

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Don't get me wrong, I like ASM 14 and it is a cool book. But not 'investment' quality at a 5.0 level. I think there are better choices.

That is the point of this topic throw some ideas out there that is what he wants. It does not stop at ASM14 that is just a start off point I gave him. It's not ASM14 or nothing that would be pointless.

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, TheSSurfer said:

I mean of course it's not going to generate as much as a 15 or Batman number one has. However if I was to spend $800 on the right comic book and hold onto it for 1015 years who knows how much I'll be able to make back on it. 

If all goes well, hundreds?  That's the type of investing you think will make a difference in your life? Perhaps you'd benefit more from a different approach to saving and investing.

Buying cool comics with disposable income - I guess it's become an old-fashioned way to collect, huh.

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

If all goes well, hundreds?  That's the type of investing you think will make a difference in your life? Perhaps you'd benefit more from a different approach to saving and investing.

Buying cool comics with disposable income - I guess it's become an old-fashioned way to collect, huh.

If you invest in the right comic, and a high number of comics it will be thousands. I'm not talking about just holding onto one book. You're reading too far into my question. My question is, as long term investment, which comics can I get for $800 that would be money well spent. Meaning I get a book that's  going to GAIN value. Do I have disposable income, no. However do i think if I start with collecting the right books, I can one day cash in? Maybe. You make it seem as if I am trying to strike it big, I'm not. I'm just trying to figure out or get people's opinions on books that would be good buys, and have been known to go up in value each year. Whether it's 50 bucks or 100 bucks a year.

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I was thinking ASM 300 at 9.6, but lots of them are floating around.

3 hours ago, SC22 said:

That is the point of this topic throw some ideas out there that is what he wants. It does not stop at ASM14 that is just a start off point I gave him. It's not ASM14 or nothing that would be pointless.

I like ASM 14 just because Geeen Goblin has always been known to fans or anyone mostly. Kind of like Wolverine. I'm thinking between 181 or ASM14. I was gonna try to go for JIM83 but can't find good priced one.

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If this were a "prefer" type thread, I'd pick Spidey 14 in 5.0 over a Bronze Age book. The 1st Gobby is one cool book.