• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Silver Age Long Term Investments (On a Budget)
3 3

134 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

For an ASM 14, 800.00 will get you a 5.0/5.5 at best, hardly a blue chip investment at that grade. I think a better play is to buy a book where 800 gets you a high grade.

ASM 14 is a blue chip book especially a mid grade and good page quality. 

There isn't any high grades that's gonna cover u for 800 unless it's a Spiderman 50 for a 7.0 grade. Or a dead horse mule like a Nm 98 book 

Edited by Kalel38
Wrong spelling

The reality answer is ....none....there is not one comic that exists today that you can buy for $800 and be guaranteed a profit 10-15 years from now...not one. 

There are tons that "might" but approaching strictly from a financial gain perspective is futile

NOW if you like collecting comics, then there will always be some intangible value you are guaranteed to reap...enjoyment! Hard to place a monetary value on that.  

19 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Everyone starts somewhere and it depends on your goals. I bought books in the past for $500...now 10K+. It all depends and sometimes luck..

Just curious, how many years did it take for your books to go from $500 to being worth $10k+?

1 hour ago, VegasJeff said:

Just curious, how many years did it take for your books to go from $500 to being worth $10k+?

It's actually quite easy if you invested in the right books. Just for fun I pulled my OVERSTREET from 2003 (not quite 10 years ago but it was the most recent one I could find at arm's length). Here are some prices for 6.0 copies of certain key silver age then:

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #14      $480

ACTION #252     $417

DETECTIVE #359     $36

STRANGE TALES #110     $309

WEREWOLF BY NIGHT #32     $27

HULK #181     $210

BATMAN ADVENTURES #12     $3

AMAZING FANTASY #15     $3789

AVENGERS #1      $681

AVENGERS #57     $30

BATMAN #232      $33

BATMAN #251     $21

NEW MUTANTS #98     $5

X-MEN #1     $1737

BRAVE and BOLD #28     $1155

and that's a small sample of if you bought these books in mid-grade condition.

Edited by Dogsupreme

Just thinking outside the box here but what about a Lois Lane 106 ? Collectors are always asking for it at conventions. 800 will get a high grade. No superhero play here but very socially relevant. Along the same lines what about some other books with no superheroes but just cool covers or big name artists.  Cool cover books can catch fire.  

Edited by Bomber-Bob

On 20 May 2017 at 0:04 PM, TheSSurfer said:

If you invest in the right comic, and a high number of comics it will be thousands. I'm not talking about just holding onto one book. You're reading too far into my question. My question is, as long term investment, which comics can I get for $800 that would be money well spent. Meaning I get a book that's  going to GAIN value. Do I have disposable income, no. However do i think if I start with collecting the right books, I can one day cash in? Maybe. You make it seem as if I am trying to strike it big, I'm not. I'm just trying to figure out or get people's opinions on books that would be good buys, and have been known to go up in value each year. Whether it's 50 bucks or 100 bucks a year.

Like I mentioned before with say a budget of 800.00 on a piticular book that always makes gains even if it's 10% a yr is more money then a bank will ever give u and that's the fact. For every nook u get thsts a good key issue in the end all the books equal amazing investment one day earned. With that being said my pics would be these. 

ASM 14 5.0-6.0 grade ASM 50 7.0-7.5 grade , Batman 181 7.0, AF 15 loose pages 1-6....pages 1,3,6  I would def grab as they are the corner stone to Spider-Man's origin. Loose pages from the origin in AF 15 is gold in the future.

Edited by Kalel38

With $800, I would recommend a low grade Fantastic Four #1 fr-, as Fox should be able to make a good FF movie within 10 years. Think it is under priced in Overstreet (vf about $30,000) compared to stratospheric auction values of Amaz Fantasy #15 in Cgc 8.5 selling at $140,000. :wishluck:

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

With $800, I would recommend a low grade Fantastic Four #1 fr-, as Fox should be able to make a good FF movie within 10 years. Think it is under priced in Overstreet (vf about $30,000) compared to stratospheric auction values of Amaz Fantasy #15 in Cgc 8.5 selling at $140,000. :wishluck:

I would have included FF1, but I doubt think a copy can be had for $800 anymore :/

11 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

So where is that copy of FF1 for 800 bucks? :roflmao:

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think the OP bought his book, a Hulk 181 in 5.0 so further conversation is moot, unless it's just for the fun of discussion.. 

Good buy!!