• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Silver Age Long Term Investments (On a Budget)
3 3

134 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

You're hard up for a B&B54 argument...I just don't have the fanboy energy.

There is no argument. Anybody can read the book(s) and see the obvious truth.

Enjoy your 2nd appearance B&B60.

Did the astounding Separated Man have one earlier appearance? Huh, I never knew that.

I'll enjoy my 1st appearance B&B54

You don't need to justify your love of Mr. Twister to me.  I also like a few villains who aren't exactly in the top tier.

1 hour ago, Dogsupreme said:

I have to agree that B&B 54 is first TEEN TITANS. Maybe not by name but certainly in spirit. If not for this trial run, there would be no TEEN TITANS. Like SUBMARINER #34-35 was the proto-DEFENDERS. AVENGERS #71 proto-INVADERS. HOUSE OF SECRETS #92 proto-SWAMP THING etc.

Okay... then why do prototypes have a special name that separates them from the real thing?

23 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

There is no argument. Anybody can read the book(s) and see the obvious truth.

Did the astounding Separated Man have one earlier appearance? Huh, I never knew that.

You don't need to justify your love of Mr. Twister to me.  I also like a few villains who aren't exactly in the top tier.

Okay... then why do prototypes have a special name that separates them from the real thing?

I dunno really. It is the perception I suppose. Technically you would be right. BB #60 is first mention of TEEN TITANS on cover. Same goes for Marvel Feature 1 as first DEFENDERS. But the market is different. As collectors we can accept or reject things based on our on bias and the market. I choose to accept BB #54 as 1st TEEN TITANS and will vote with my dollars as opposed to BB #60 which I want but am unwilling to spend the same amount. I may be wrong but it really does not matter until I decide to re-sell it. You decide for yourself.

On 6/2/2017 at 0:39 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Yeh, if people are going to sell Jimmy Olsen #134 as the "1st Darkseid", Tales to Astonish #27 as the "1st Ant-man", etc...then I'm not too worried about that.

I'll have to read through that B&B54 thread debate again. I just don't' get the case for B&B60 outside of "1st Wonder Girl, joins Teen Titans".

Yeah, the case for 60 is all in 54--no formation of a team, no mention of the phrase "Teen Titans." But if we're talking undervalued silver, I'd say 1st Wonder Girl is already a pretty good bet even if you DON'T factor in the fact that it's the first time we see a group called the Teen Titans!

2 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

I dunno really. It is the perception I suppose. Technically you would be right. BB #60 is first mention of TEEN TITANS on cover. Same goes for Marvel Feature 1 as first DEFENDERS. But the market is different. As collectors we can accept or reject things based on our on bias and the market. I choose to accept BB #54 as 1st TEEN TITANS and will vote with my dollars as opposed to BB #60 which I want but am unwilling to spend the same amount. I may be wrong but it really does not matter until I decide to re-sell it. You decide for yourself.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying BB60 is undervalued because it's the first appearance of the Teen Titans. I'm saying it's undervalued because (a) 1st Wonder Girl, and (b) enough people MIGHT some day discover that the current "first appearance" of the Teen Titans doesn't have any appearance of a team called "Teen Titans," in which case, BB60 today might look very undervalued indeed.

17 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

Just to clarify, I'm not saying BB60 is undervalued because it's the first appearance of the Teen Titans. I'm saying it's undervalued because (a) 1st Wonder Girl, and (b) enough people MIGHT some day discover that the current "first appearance" of the Teen Titans doesn't have any appearance of a team called "Teen Titans," in which case, BB60 today might look very undervalued indeed.

I am not sure if BB 60 is exactly "undervalued". It seems to be pretty expensive on EBAY. However, there still might be room for growth, especially on high grade copies. If I were TEEN TITANS collector, this would be in the collection for sure. As far as WONDER GIRL, I seem to recall that she actually first appeared in WONDER WOMAN (as herself in teen form, I think), Now I know this is the DONNA TROY version so there is a difference but I seem to remember that the teen version of WONDER WOMAN was called WONDER GIRL (correct me if I am wrong).

Also, TEEN TITANS #1 is overlooked often and #6 (1st BEAST BOY with TEEN TITANS).

I think the best value is DC PRESENTS #26 (though not silver age). Still VERY affordable (even in high grades) and it will be the one any movie or TV series will be based on.

I've been collecting silver Teen Titans for the better part of a year, and am close to a full run. So take this with whatever authority such an achievement should bestow on me. ;)

1. Do not expect quick, astronomical returns on these books. A lot of the TV/Movie buzz has been priced-in for years, if not decades. These are "Blue Chip" books, and I would expect continued, steady appreciation over the long term. Here are some comparisons between 2003, 2007, and 2016 Overstreet Guide prices for a 9.0:
BB #54 - 2003: $292, 2007: $373, 2016: $900
BB #60 - 2003: $109, 2007: $144, 2016: $612
TT #1 - 2003: $253, 2007: $345, 2016: $564
2. There are other semi-key issues to look at in this run. They are relatively plentiful, and still affordable in high grade. Issues to consider include 6, 22, 23, 25, and 48. 
3. I am amazed by the stories and art in this run, especially once you get into the 10's and beyond. Nick Cardy was a beast! IMHO JLAs from the same era (esp. 1968/69) don't really hold a candle.
4. Don't forget the 3rd appearance in Showcase #59. I dig this groovy 60's cover, baby!

Photo Jun 04, 10 01 53 AM.jpg

Edited by adampasz

I would also mine SHOWCASE as well. LOTS of 1st appearances there at very low prices. Marvel is a little more difficult to pin down during this era. Most of their new characters are Bronze age. However, SGT.FURY #1 is a key Marvel that has not hit crazy prices....yet. I would also consider STRANGE TALES #135 (1st SHIELD) and #151 (1st Steranko Nick Fury) also any STERANKO cover is a must have.

X-MEN Steranko, Adams or Smith runs are also good to look into. AVENGERS #93 is a must have and is getting up there especially in high grade. AVENGERS #69,71 and 83.

On 6/4/2017 at 0:11 PM, adampasz said:

I've been collecting silver Teen Titans for the better part of a year, and am close to a full run. So take this with whatever authority such an achievement should bestow on me. ;)

1. Do not expect quick, astronomical returns on these books. A lot of the TV/Movie buzz has been priced-in for years, if not decades. These are "Blue Chip" books, and I would expect continued, steady appreciation over the long term. Here are some comparisons between 2003, 2007, and 2016 Overstreet Guide prices for a 9.0:
BB #54 - 2003: $292, 2007: $373, 2016: $900
BB #60 - 2003: $109, 2007: $144, 2016: $612
TT #1 - 2003: $253, 2007: $345, 2016: $564
2. There are other semi-key issues to look at in this run. They are relatively plentiful, and still affordable in high grade. Issues to consider include 6, 22, 23, 25, and 48. 
3. I am amazed by the stories and art in this run, especially once you get into the 10's and beyond. Nick Cardy was a beast! IMHO JLAs from the same era (esp. 1968/69) don't really hold a candle.
4. Don't forget the 3rd appearance in Showcase #59. I dig this groovy 60's cover, baby!

Photo Jun 04, 10 01 53 AM.jpg

That's a beautiful Bb 54. It's also on my list to get just got to find decent grade is all. But yes, I want books that appreciate at the values you were listing when giving examples of the books you posted in photo. I'm not expecting it to be like Superman 1 or Batman 1 but a nice little bump over time you know?

On 6/4/2017 at 9:54 AM, Dogsupreme said:

I am not sure if BB 60 is exactly "undervalued". It seems to be pretty expensive on EBAY. However, there still might be room for growth, especially on high grade copies. If I were TEEN TITANS collector, this would be in the collection for sure. As far as WONDER GIRL, I seem to recall that she actually first appeared in WONDER WOMAN (as herself in teen form, I think), Now I know this is the DONNA TROY version so there is a difference but I seem to remember that the teen version of WONDER WOMAN was called WONDER GIRL (correct me if I am wrong).

Also, TEEN TITANS #1 is overlooked often and #6 (1st BEAST BOY with TEEN TITANS).

I think the best value is DC PRESENTS #26 (though not silver age). Still VERY affordable (even in high grades) and it will be the one any movie or TV series will be based on.

I had D.C. comics 26 but after they displayed Cyborg in the trailer, I lost interest. It's like they're trying too hard with him. 

On 5/26/2017 at 4:41 PM, Dreamtoreal1 said:

if you are buying ONE comic and hold it lets say for at least 3-5 years I would go with Fantastic Four #52 (1st black Panther)  7.0 7.5 level. Of course asms14 is also strong but I would choose ASM13 (1ST Mysterio) because with the special effects this could be a great (movie villain on the screen). values can go up %5/10 per year so I think you could have those valued at $1100-$1250 by 2021 (just my opinion/speculation)  so up to %50 gain.

Option B: get a small loan from a family member and or friend and double your investment at $1600 and get a FF52 8.0 or 8.5 Which should bring greater returns

good luck!

Yeah I'm considering FF 52 especially after seeing the trailer. The way they depicted him is awesome! I feel depending on how movies make characters out to be from comics, more people are willing to follow suit of buying that comic. For example Wolverine first app.

On 5/20/2017 at 11:13 AM, Dogsupreme said:

It's actually quite easy if you invested in the right books. Just for fun I pulled my OVERSTREET from 2003 (not quite 10 years ago but it was the most recent one I could find at arm's length). Here are some prices for 6.0 copies of certain key silver age then:

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #14      $480

ACTION #252     $417

DETECTIVE #359     $36

STRANGE TALES #110     $309

WEREWOLF BY NIGHT #32     $27

HULK #181     $210

BATMAN ADVENTURES #12     $3

AMAZING FANTASY #15     $3789

AVENGERS #1      $681

AVENGERS #57     $30

BATMAN #232      $33

BATMAN #251     $21

NEW MUTANTS #98     $5

X-MEN #1     $1737

BRAVE and BOLD #28     $1155

and that's a small sample of if you bought these books in mid-grade condition.

Damn some of them jumped a bit from then. I guess it's good to compare those to today's because the ceiling can be anywhere really especially for AV1 and ASM14

On 5/22/2017 at 1:53 PM, Bronx said:

If you're a DC guy then any Batman Silver Age villain key.  Batman 121, 155, 171, 181, 189.  Great base for a beginners collection, lots of room to grow and will always be in demand.   

Very highly considering these books for future transactions, any minimum grade to buy or not to buy below? 

On 5/26/2017 at 4:41 PM, Dreamtoreal1 said:

if you are buying ONE comic and hold it lets say for at least 3-5 years I would go with Fantastic Four #52 (1st black Panther)  7.0 7.5 level. Of course asms14 is also strong but I would choose ASM13 (1ST Mysterio) because with the special effects this could be a great (movie villain on the screen). values can go up %5/10 per year so I think you could have those valued at $1100-$1250 by 2021 (just my opinion/speculation)  so up to %50 gain.

Option B: get a small loan from a family member and or friend and double your investment at $1600 and get a FF52 8.0 or 8.5 Which should bring greater returns

good luck!

I've head mysterio app and black panther on my radar for a bit. Just gotta decide which is better to go with from those two as well as other characters such as batgirl, green goblin, etc. 

26 minutes ago, TheSSurfer said:

I've head mysterio app and black panther on my radar for a bit. Just gotta decide which is better to go with from those two as well as other characters such as batgirl, green goblin, etc. 

While I personally love ASM 13, I just don't think Mysterio has nearly as much going for him as the Black Panther. The way prices are escalating lately quit thinking and just buy something !

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

While I personally love ASM 13, I just don't think Mysterio has nearly as much going for him as the Black Panther. The way prices are escalating lately quit thinking and just buy something !

lol well I just bought a Hulk 181 at 5.0 with OW pages so yeah haha.

I like Showcase 60.  You can still get a high grade copy for under $1000.  It's the first SA appearance of the Spectre and he's still an important and relevant superhero in DC comics today.  One day he'll show up on tv or in the movies and it will be a good way to participate because his GA More Fun Comics covers are very expensive already.

I think Showcase 55 is a no-brainer with that first SA appearance of Solomon Grundy.  I'm surprised this book is still as affordable as it is today.