• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Silver Age Long Term Investments (On a Budget)
3 3

134 posts in this topic

On May 19, 2017 at 5:43 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Excuse me, while I like the idea of an ASM 194 in 9.8 as a good investment, 800.00 will not do it. 

I said it will get you in the range.  I just picked up a 194 9.8 WP for $910.

6 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I said it will get you in the range.  I just picked up a 194 9.8 WP for $910.

That was an excellent deal, a steal at current market value, congrats.  I'll still stand by my comment that 800 will not get you an ASM 194 in 9.8 . Of course we can debate the meaning of 'in the range' but that would be tedious and boring. 

10 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That was an excellent deal, a steal at current market value, congrats.  I'll still stand by my comment that 800 will not get you an ASM 194 in 9.8 . Of course we can debate the meaning of 'in the range' but that would be tedious and boring. 

I never said $800 would get you one and YOU ARE RIGHT $800 will not do it.  I know it is more expensive. My point was $800 gets you pretty close.  An extra $290 would have got you and OW/W from ebay just last month. I think you did want to debate what "in the range" means as I never said it would flat out get you one. You got caught up in semantics and wanting to prove someone wrong.

What you could have said was the current average for that book  in 9.8 wp is $1200 or whatever it is currently and then suggested some other book.  You didn't really add anything to the discussion nor really help the OP.

Yep Bob, you got me, I was wrong.

To the OP.  Sorry I suggested ASM $194 because it will be several hundred more for you to get that book. However if you like Iron Man You can get 2 single digit Iron Man's in 9.6 white pages for about $850

6 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

I never said $800 would get you one and YOU ARE RIGHT $800 will not do it.  I know it is more expensive. My point was $800 gets you pretty close.  An extra $290 would have got you and OW/W from ebay just last month. I think you did want to debate what "in the range" means as I never said it would flat out get you one. You got caught up in semantics and wanting to prove someone wrong.

What you could have said was the current average for that book  in 9.8 wp is $1200 or whatever it is currently and then suggested some other book.  You didn't really add anything to the discussion nor really help the OP.

Yep Bob, you got me, I was wrong.

To the OP.  Sorry I suggested ASM $194 because it will be several hundred more for you to get that book. However if you like Iron Man You can get 2 single digit Iron Man's in 9.6 white pages for about $850

If you want to get all *issy about this, fine. All I said was 'Excuse me, while I like the idea of an ASM 194 in 9.8 as a good investment, 800.00 will not do it. '  Why are you taking umbrage to my statement ? I did not attack you, humiliate you, demean you, or even use the word 'wrong' in my statement.  I'm sorry but the assumptions you are making about my statement seem to be taken way out of context. Books escalate in price so quickly these days I just wanted to point out that ASM 194 was getting pricey. No confrontation, not trying to prove you wrong, just a comment.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 hour ago, Dogsupreme said:

Here some of my recommendations:

MY GREATEST ADVENTURE #80

TALES OF SUSPENSE #52, 57

DR.STRANGE #169

STRANGE TALES #135

SGT.FURY and his HOWLING COMMANDOS #1

MARVEL SUPERHEROES #12,13,18

ADVENTURE COMICS #300

SUPERBOY #68

SHOWCASE #30

Absolutely agree with this one...but it's already getting up there in $$$$. You may be able to pull in a CGC 4.5 for $800 at this point.

I spent a few thousand buying keys right before Ironman hit the theatres... and walking dead was at season 1.

ASM 129 $200 - graded at 9.4

2 walking dead 1s - $200 ea.. currently getting slabbed 9.6+

Ironman 55 - $100 9.0 ish

2 FF4 48's 9.0ish at 3-500 ea

timing is everything

1 hour ago, jmagg73 said:

I spent a few thousand buying keys right before Ironman hit the theatres... and walking dead was at season 1.

2 walking dead 1s - $200 ea.. currently getting slabbed 9.6+

Ironman 55 - $100 9.0 ish

2 FF4 48's 9.0ish at 3-500 ea

timing is everything

That's less timing than it is buying undergraded copies.  ASM129 in NM, Ironman55 in VF/NM, and FF48 in VF/NM haven't been going for those prices for a decade or three (for instance, I remember paying something like $675 for an FF48 in that condition in the mid nineties.

Agreed, though, that timing is important.  Once third party grading came along and high grade Silver and Bronze Age comics skyrocketed in value, it took something like a movie or streaming tv show to renew interest in collecting a title and trigger further price increases.

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, jmagg73 said:

In 2007/8 that was still a $1000 book. If you paid $200 that's quite an outlier /exception. 

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

In 2007/8 that was still a $1000 book. If you paid $200 that's quite an outlier /exception. 

Yes was bought on ebay.  From NewEngland Showcase.  Advertised at 8.5 turned out a 9.4 when I got it graded.  He said he usually grades a bit lower.  

25 minutes ago, jmagg73 said:

Yes was bought on ebay.  From NewEngland Showcase.  Advertised at 8.5 turned out a 9.4 when I got it graded.  He said he usually grades a bit lower.  

ahh, then you paid a little under fmv for stated/sold as grade... big diff then paying 200 for an existing 9.4 (though one could argue it was a 9.4 at time of purchase lol )

Timing is indeed everything.  Nearly every key book I bought between 2006-2009 during my intense buying period has been a home run or a grand slam.  JoeyPost knows what I'm talking about.  I focused almost solely on DC silver age keys (especially dark covers) and a couple of indies from the '80s.  They're undoubtedly much more expensive to obtain now but $800 will still find you a delicious DC SA key with lots of room to grow, if you have about 5 years of patience.  If you're a comic book collector looking for potential great returns, you can't be a Marvel fanboy.

Timing is everything in selling, too. Collect what you love AND by all means play the investment game too within your means, but for the ones that are solely about the $$$ for you, always consider your exit time horizon when going in. Don't set it in stone, but consider it, and watch for signs to try to figure out when to sell (at least so you're not too late). Have fun! Timing trendy books is a fun and legitimate part of this hobby. 

On 5/23/2017 at 6:56 PM, Readcomix said:

Timing is everything in selling, too. Collect what you love AND by all means play the investment game too within your means, but for the ones that are solely about the $$$ for you, always consider your exit time horizon when going in. Don't set it in stone, but consider it, and watch for signs to try to figure out when to sell (at least so you're not too late). Have fun! Timing trendy books is a fun and legitimate part of this hobby. 

Timing is of course the hardest part too.  And frustrating when you sell too late or too soon. 

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

Timing is of course the hardest part too.  And frustrating when you sell too late or too soon. 

Absolutely, and easier said than done, but if you let the "too soon" part get in your head it will suck the fun out. Usually, it's much better to be too soon and in the black than too late and stuck with a stack of dead copies. (I've still got the small stack of Elementals #1 to prove it!) I would always have one; my collector's heart considers it a landmark series in superhero evolution. But a dozen? And it's not even psychology of previous investment; some books held too long are just hard to find homes for. Especially a bunch of them.

Like the stock guys say, "Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered." At least when you're playing the timing game of movie/TV spikes and/or modern variant cover timing, it applies. Of course, it's also satisfying to peg and ride a wave. I just try to remind myself that it's not essential to spend the entire ride atop the crest, if that makes sense.

Take the $800 and start a business, then you'll be able to buy all the comics you want.

Of course if you still plan on only buying comics to sit on, you'd be better off buying multiple comics and not putting all your eggs into one basket.

Buy golden age or DC silver age keys while they're still cheap

Edited by Kevin76