• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help. Is this legit or not?

25 posts in this topic

IMG_1570.PNG.3ee80b3430787aa0975d6f511e3ec75f.PNGNeed help. Is this legit or not?

Ok, trying to figure this out. Overstreet says Canadian versions of amazing spiderman 238 has no tattooz. People cannibalize fantastic fours for the tattooz and insert into this book to increase value. But this book is a CGC graded SS series 75 cent Canadian version and label says "tattooz inside". So did CGC mess up or is this a counterfeit CGC case and grade. Something doesn't add up unless I completely missed something. Is Overstreet wrong? Please help. 

Edited by DonSal1976

3 hours ago, DonSal1976 said:

IMG_1570.PNG.3ee80b3430787aa0975d6f511e3ec75f.PNGNeed help. Is this legit or not?

Ok, trying to figure this out. Overstreet says Canadian versions of amazing spiderman 238 has no tattooz. People cannibalize fantastic fours for the tattooz and insert into this book to increase value. But this book is a CGC graded SS series 75 cent Canadian version and label says "tattooz inside". So did CGC mess up or is this a counterfeit CGC case and grade. Something doesn't add up unless I completely missed something. Is Overstreet wrong? Please help. 

My ASM #238 Canadian had the tattooz, so, and not for the first time, Overstreet was/is wrong:

can.PNG.465a684c30a361404491570abd2ab3b1.PNG

238can.thumb.jpg.e9b4691d0fba9b0fdafd2edf662c96c4.jpg

238netattooz2.thumb.jpg.8f22fe3e2a827913ed3ef080dd49ef90.jpg

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

My ASM #238 Canadian had the tattooz, so, and not for the first time, Overstreet was/is wrong:

can.PNG.465a684c30a361404491570abd2ab3b1.PNG

238can.thumb.jpg.e9b4691d0fba9b0fdafd2edf662c96c4.jpg

238netattooz2.thumb.jpg.8f22fe3e2a827913ed3ef080dd49ef90.jpg

Many copies had the printing and advertisement but did not contain the little package that had the actual tattoo in it like the picture you are showing. It was attached at the top staple in a little package. Was the tattoo pack originally in yours?

I still have the copy of FF 252 that I acquired from the same collection from my friend, I will check it when I get home to see if it is a Can price variant and if the tattoo is in it I will post a pic.

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Many copies had the printing and advertisement but did not contain the little package that had the actual tattoo in it like the picture you are showing. It was attached at the top staple in a little package. Was the tattoo pack originally in yours?

I still have the copy of FF 252 that I acquired from the same collection from my friend, I will check it when I get home to see if it is a Can price variant and if the tattoo is in it I will post a pic.

Whoops.  Sold now, but I took lots of pics. I'll dig them out and report back later....

38 minutes ago, DonSal1976 said:

Ok, so the simple answer is that Overstreet had an error and some Canadian issues had the tattooz?  Seems reasonable, just wanted to get more info before I decide on whether to bid on this auction. Thank you for the help guys and gals. 

Yes from my personal experience some Canadian versions did contain the tattoos. I had an Amazing Spider-Man 238 Canadian price variant that had tattoos.

To have a copy that did not contain the tattoos and then to have it added would require removal of the top staple to insert the tattoo pack then re-insert the staple.

I think CGC is reasonably good at detecting staple removal/ manipulation ( although I am not 100% sure on this ).

Edited by Artboy99

52 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Whoops.  Sold now, but I took lots of pics. I'll dig them out and report back later....

Bugger. Can't find the other photo's. I did have 3 copies, Direct. Newsstand and Canadian, and I do remember confirming all 3 had the tattooz. So while I can't now say for sure,  I'm as confident as my scrambled brain will allow me to be.

c.PNG.3dd0c1b996f530282654083e24789254.PNG

Edited by Marwood & I
BD'sC

9 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Bugger. Can't find the other photo's. I did have 3 copies, Direct. Newsstand and Canadian, and I do remember confirming all 3 had the tattooz. So while I can't now say for sure,  I'm as confident as my scrambled brain will allow me to be.

c.PNG.3dd0c1b996f530282654083e24789254.PNG

I didn't take any pictures of mine either. I bought a long time friends comic collection in 2010, picked through it to determine what I wanted to keep and then sold most of it over a few months. I am sure the ASM 238 I had was one of the first books I sold from the collection. I did kept 1 of the FF Byrne runs he had for myself, I do not know if the 252 contains the tattoos or not, as I have never opened it!

13 minutes ago, DonSal1976 said:

Another question then. If Canadian copies do AND do not have the tattooz, will a Canadian variant submitted without a tattoo be given a green Qualified label?

If the tattoo was originally in the book and is still in then it will get a blue label.

***edit: If the tattoo is removed, it will be qualified. Just checked GPA is a LOT of incomplete 238's listed, clearly tattoo removal

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

On 5/19/2017 at 3:06 PM, DonSal1976 said:

Ok, so the simple answer is that Overstreet had an error and some Canadian issues had the tattooz?  Seems reasonable, just wanted to get more info before I decide on whether to bid on this auction. Thank you for the help guys and gals. 

I'd say it's a pretty cool item...especially if you like sig series books.  

35 minutes ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Old thread Sunday. Just going through my original FF’s most bought off spinner rack here in Manitoba. My FF 252 does not have the tats

My ASM 238 has the tats and I'm going to be rich once it gets graded. 

2 hours ago, kimik said:

Someone had already removed them.........:baiting:

I don't think this is always so.  I've known so many people that bought off of the stands or had subscriptions directly from Marvel and later discovered no tats.  I suspect some of the envelopes were shipped without.

5 hours ago, kimik said:

Here is my current copy with the Tattooz insert and sample. Every Canadian copy I have owned over the years has had them. 

542201158_cgcAmazingSpider-Man238CDN.thumb.jpg.ebc0fd8b866cef5a51e22ba24d4bad9a.jpg

Same for me, except the copy where the tatooz were removed and it caused a staple pull at the top.