• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC UK Price Variants
8 8

236 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2019 at 11:57 AM, rakehell said:

Alas no. I was watching it though. There were two lots, but both went higher than I hoped - I'd have bid if they stayed a bit lower. Seem quite popular lately don't they. Never know what's inside....

On 3/17/2019 at 9:11 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Alas no. I was watching it though. There were two lots, but both went higher than I hoped - I'd have bid if they stayed a bit lower. Seem quite popular lately don't they. Never know what's inside....

Yeah, I was good up to about 20 quid. They're a fun little gamble if you don't overpay. A couple of those looked in pretty good shape, too.

There's a similar thing that works in the opposite direction. Where someone took a bunch of remaindered Marvel UK titles, rebound them & shipped them off to the states for sale in the now defunct B Dalton book stores.

289292208_marvelcollection.jpg.5482a4b35bac2ddacbd70481a4a26bc5.jpg

I keep trying to bag these when I see them, but they always seem to go for more than I want to pay.

4 minutes ago, rakehell said:

Yeah, I was good up to about 20 quid. They're a fun little gamble if you don't overpay. A couple of those looked in pretty good shape, too.

There's a similar thing that works in the opposite direction. Where someone took a bunch of remaindered Marvel UK titles, rebound them & shipped them off to the states for sale in the now defunct B Dalton book stores.

I keep trying to bag these when I see them, but they always seem to go for more than I want to pay.

Velly nice Mr Rakenhell, velly nice!

Nice colouring on Thor and Iron Man. The cover is almost as uniquely crappy as the Double Doubles isn't it. 

Splendid stuff :)

19 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Velly nice Mr Rakenhell, velly nice!

Nice colouring on Thor and Iron Man. The cover is almost as uniquely crappy as the Double Doubles isn't it. 

Splendid stuff :)

They look like something printed in someone's basement or something.

There was even a sideways bound one, for copies of Titans and Super Spider-man.

marv3.jpg.1e354506c2d3d46c9a37b4b22922091e.jpg

The other interesting thing with these is that they left the covers on.

inside.jpg.9fca1b9b0eae3141097832ca0ad8285e.jpg

These aren't my pictures, btw. I don't have any of these. I wish I'd known about them when I was a kid, living in the states & frequenting B Dalton as I did. Having said that, they would have gone the way of my Atari 2600 & GI Joe figures & other goodies; sold by mother/sisters at garage sales when I was living away from home. :facepalm:

2 hours ago, rakehell said:

Having said that, they would have gone the way of my Atari 2600 & GI Joe figures & other goodies; sold by mother/sisters at garage sales when I was living away from home. :facepalm:

:eek:

Here's a cents copy of Showcase #24. There are no pence copies, alas.

Thorpe & Porter were the distributors in the UK for DC, hence their big ugly 9d pence stamp with it's unfathomable '1' in the top half (see earlier posts):

tandp.thumb.jpg.7bb3b8491aedf2c25747ae93a41302cf.jpg

But what's this! L Miller trying to get in on the act!

236805075_6d9d.thumb.jpg.4a9162f8e039c1f4d1ceb6424b46bb22.jpg

Now if we place our 6d stamp over their 9d stamp......

1214613589_6d9d(2).jpg.efdf426e7200179ae54896c13d898a1b.jpg

9_9

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Cool thread!  Just caught up on it! :banana: 

Cheers liz. Not much left to scrape out of the pence barrel now, alas. But I'm trying! (I'm very trying) :)

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:
3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Cool thread!  Just caught up on it! :banana: 

Cheers liz. Not much left to scrape out of the pence barrel now, alas. But I'm trying! (I'm very trying) :)

I thought I just saw one of those double doubles in the sales area within the last couple days, but now I can't find it...., :sorry: 

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I thought I just saw one of those double doubles in the sales area within the last couple days, but now I can't find it...., :sorry: 

Really? I missed it too. Will have a look about 

On 3/20/2019 at 10:57 AM, rakehell said:

Cool book👍👍

On 4/20/2019 at 5:04 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Cool book👍👍

Yeah. Where else are you going to find a platinum Iron Man and an orange Thor.

Again, wish it was mine. Just saw one of the other issues of this go for about £20 over the weekend. More than I'm comfortable paying.

Here's a price sticker you don't see that often on a DC - the old "Thorpe & Porter" teepee:

1557505853_s-l1600(1).jpg.112227f6b2a2d41855cb62b509e59582.jpg  s-l1600.jpg.752a1a1f8318e2addfb0758d1f3d44bb.jpg

Quite a good logo really - you've got the 'T' and the 'P' and the '9d' on the 'DC'. And the teepee makes an 'A' for the '&', see?  

And of course the teepee is a place for kids to read comics, in the garden. On an adventure.

Whoopee! :)

On 4/24/2019 at 10:59 AM, rakehell said:

Yeah. Where else are you going to find a platinum Iron Man and an orange Thor.

Again, wish it was mine. Just saw one of the other issues of this go for about £20 over the weekend. More than I'm comfortable paying.

Ha! I wonder what fool bought that! lol

Spoiler

:eek:

tmc.thumb.PNG.1a51634ae7a167225eeb9757aa270e22.PNG

On 5/5/2019 at 6:36 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Ha! I wonder what fool bought that! lol

Are those images from your personal files or your research files?

Ever contemplated a thread to track the innards of any of the remaindered books? :baiting:

On 5/13/2019 at 4:20 PM, rakehell said:

Are those images from your personal files or your research files?

Ever contemplated a thread to track the innards of any of the remaindered books? :baiting:

Research Rakehell. I've only got one. I don't think there's much point in tracking the innards, seeing as they're all different. I do have a tendency to scrape the bottom of the comic barrel, I grant you, but that would be through the bottom and into the floor. 

On 5/18/2019 at 11:56 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Research Rakehell. I've only got one. I don't think there's much point in tracking the innards, seeing as they're all different. I do have a tendency to scrape the bottom of the comic barrel, I grant you, but that would be through the bottom and into the floor. 

You're right, of course. I just can't get over the idea that somewhere out there is a Marvel Collection with Captain Britain 8 in it. Or a Double Double with something like Conan 1 or Hulk 102 or something.

Silly, I know, but this is the border between a keen interest and a dangerous (irritating) obsession.

hm

On 5/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, rakehell said:

You're right, of course. I just can't get over the idea that somewhere out there is a Marvel Collection with Captain Britain 8 in it. Or a Double Double with something like Conan 1 or Hulk 102 or something.

Silly, I know, but this is the border between a keen interest and a dangerous (irritating) obsession.

hm

I was close!

20190520_140329.thumb.jpg.ac301dd82cd140870557a3cf072e56b6.jpg

I'll do a little piece on these in my Marvel thread at some point Robert - the info is out there on the web, but they're worth a mention I think (and I'll let you know if I ever see a 'key' hiding in one of these, or the Dc Double Double books (thumbsu)

20 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I'll do a little piece on these in my Marvel thread at some point Robert - the info is out there on the web, but they're worth a mention I think (and I'll let you know if I ever see a 'key' hiding in one of these, or the Dc Double Double books (thumbsu)

Snap. :download:

20 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I was close!

Still possible... :wishluck: