• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC UK Price Variants
8 8

236 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2021 at 1:10 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

One thing I find odd about the above is why the Top Sellers books / T&P would advertise the DC US originals when they (T&P) were producing their own UK compendium at the same time, the 'DC Super' books. I've got one of those on order and will post again when it arrives. I've never bought or owned one before so there may be some surprises inside.

Here it is:

878000763_1969SuperDC4.thumb.jpg.5cd32a62e2f3d3dc08ec0d592d8d6070.jpg  996363192_1969SuperDC4BC.thumb.jpg.39e9c1b98d68bdca99c055bca752fec5.jpg

One thing I find intriguing about this is how T&P are actively promoting the US original DC books here on their homegrown UK reprint title. Compare that to the Marvel position where the arrival of the UK Spider-Man Comics Weekly title, for example, pushed the US Amazing Spider-Man title into non-distribution status.

As I've shown in the First Distribution thread, DC and Marvel were always treated very differently in the UK when it came to distribution practices and here is yet another example of that. 

2 minutes ago, yrag9591 said:

I was the underbidder for that batch of annuals. I regret not bidding higher as I would have liked to get the Doom Patrol. But the condition was a bit dodgy. I think this guy was the winner (scroll down slightly): https://themagicrobot.wordpress.com

@themagicrobot

Robot!

You snag them books?

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Did anyone get lucky? I was outbid:

597236670_DDBatman18128_02_21.thumb.PNG.9cb745fa5e09a0c3fa42b1a54f96fcbf.PNG

That was good marketing. I’m sure it wouldn’t have made that much but for the incomplete Batman 181 inside. I don’t think I have ever paid more than £20 for a Double Double.

7 minutes ago, yrag9591 said:

That was good marketing. I’m sure it wouldn’t have made that much but for the incomplete Batman 181 inside. I don’t think I have ever paid more than £20 for a Double Double.

They seem to be gaining popularity though don't they. Whatever you plan on bidding nowadays, double it. Or should that be double double it hm

For posterity, I'll post this Superman #404 in the correct thread along with Get Marwood & I's helpful commentary on this issue.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's a 1985 book you have there and DC UK Price Variants were long gone by then. Under that sticker will be a dual US/UK printed price, with the UK one being 30p. Stickers weren't that uncommon as it goes, although that's quite a late one, and right before the printed price change to 35p - someone clearly wanted an extra early 5p!

Also maybe this post can give this thread a jump start.  It's no surprise I stumbled into the Marvel thread what with this DC thread having a 4 year gap since the last post! 

2128003249_Image(24).thumb.jpg.fdba05f520fb76fdc5e8323bcb78f28d.jpg

2 minutes ago, Warlord said:

For posterity, I'll post this Superman #404 in the correct thread along with Get Marwood & I's helpful commentary on this issue.

Also maybe this post can give this thread a jump start.  It's no surprise I stumbled into the Marvel thread what with this DC thread having a 4 year gap since the last post! 

4 year gap since the last interesting post you mean? :eek:

For completeness, my other comment from the Marvel thread too:

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

There are quite a few copies on eBay as it goes Warlord, so you've actually identified a thing - the apparent wide-spread repricing of that issue by sticker, pre the printed price change. It's not a UKPV though, so you only get a bronze medal for the discovery :bigsmile:

Just now, Warlord said:

Yep, that's must been what I meant.  That first post from 2017 was great.  The rest of the thread?   Meh   :baiting:

It was all down hill after the title really...

This Blackhawk T&P annual did rather well on the Bay:

2083648983_BlackhawkAnnual1.thumb.PNG.8903f8ee6a1a981611c1f40eca3ea280.PNG

1804353696_BlackhawkAnnual2.jpg.4521bfa470f10ebd47c6f80309242f67.jpg

Batgirl might have had something to do with it, but I think it was the 10d T&P stamped Blackhawk myself....

1125906299_BlackhawkAnnual3.thumb.jpg.5cc1dc74c5d3e798998301491a3b9dd2.jpg

701400047_BlackhawkAnnual3(2).jpg.ad0f02a37719e90007d7148ba47c5218.jpg :cloud9:

That Blackhawk Annual only had five out of six comics remaining, which (IMO) would make it nearly worthless if it wasn’t for the Detective 359. Luckily I’ve already got the Blackhawk Annual, but I still need 5/12 of those T&P annuals. It’s a long search!

On 8/6/2021 at 9:51 AM, yrag9591 said:

That Blackhawk Annual only had five out of six comics remaining, which (IMO) would make it nearly worthless if it wasn’t for the Detective 359. Luckily I’ve already got the Blackhawk Annual, but I still need 5/12 of those T&P annuals. It’s a long search!

I think its worthless anyway as they are all trimmed, separated out would grade as poor.

Would be curiosity value only for me as I had never seen it before, I was surprised at the final price though.

On 8/6/2021 at 1:19 PM, Kevin.J said:

I think its worthless anyway as they are all trimmed, separated out would grade as poor.

Would be curiosity value only for me as I had never seen it before, I was surprised at the final price though.

And separating them out would have been a difficult task as they were glued together and to the frontispiece. I suspect that a lot of people tried this which is the reason that so few survived.

On 8/6/2021 at 3:01 PM, Redshade said:

And separating them out would have been a difficult task as they were glued together and to the frontispiece. I suspect that a lot of people tried this which is the reason that so few survived.

Frontispiece... :cloud9:

Another brief 'cut off point' exercise to test and cement the DC UKPV number range...

Capture.PNG.6159df8ad82c255f3047db5ce47b460a.PNG

...and to help explain why some September cover dated titles exist as UKPVs, and some don't...

Capture.thumb.PNG.a2e56cc476057fa9ec45d748e66dd1df.PNG

On 5/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, rakehell said:

Nice indeed. I'm always on the lookout for these. Like little nuggets of buried treasure, they are (occasionally). :banana:

And twas only a tenner too, Daphne.

I say 'only'. That's half an hour's electricity nowadays....