• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC UK Price Variants
8 8

236 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've never seen those before, but they're absolutely brilliant.

I'd rather have bound, original copies, rather than the poor reprint quality you often got in typical UK hardcover annuals.

Amazing. We've all been in the game for over 100 years between us and have never seen them!

No, not that game Ken :wink:

US comic book annuals never got distributed to the UK during the period when I started reading comics in the mid 70s, and so the first time I had the opportunity to buy them as imports by mail order, never having seen one, I was totally confused when I received an ordinary, slightly thicker, floppy comic book rather than a large hardcover. 

Definitely a classic hm moment on the learning curve.

4 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Amazing. We've all been in the game for over 100 years between us and have never seen them!

No, not that game Ken :wink:

I can add another 50+ years to the total.

If that GL book went for £113 then trying to track down (and afford) the full set is going to be quite a task and if like the Double Double's the same cover was used with different interiors an almost impossible task to track down all the variants.

Now what is my next project going to be? A full set of these or the quest for the 838 DC pence copies?

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

US comic book annuals never got distributed to the UK during the period when I started reading comics in the mid 70s, and so the first time I had the opportunity to buy them as imports by mail order, never having seen one, I was totally confused when I received an ordinary, slightly thicker, floppy comic book rather than a large hardcover. 

Definitely a classic hm moment on the learning curve.

@Redshade

Here's another!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AQAUMAN-ANNUAL-DC-COMICS-UK-1967-SCARCE-SILVER-AGE-BATMAN-SUPERMAN-INFANTINO/401472708884?hash=item5d79a36114:g:PDsAAOSwiKlZ08f1

s-l1600.jpg

And another!

bh.PNG.2de8a099c8bac02674ea3a57ad66f41b.PNG

And another!

batb.PNG.3c74143fd23f7557ed828c6b5ad81711.PNG

And another!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLASH-COMIC-UK-ANNUAL-THORPE-PORTER-1967-SIX-BOUND-DC-COMICS/263320500998?hash=item3d4f1ffb06:g:pXsAAOSwcj1aCdvl

s-l1600.jpg

2 minutes ago, Redshade said:

I can add another 50+ years to the total.

If that GL book went for £113 then trying to track down (and afford) the full set is going to be quite a task and if like the Double Double's the same cover was used with different interiors an almost impossible task to track down all the variants.

Now what is my next project going to be? A full set of these or the quest for the 838 DC pence copies?

I can actually add 800 years, although a lot of Jedi training went on at the same time.

Look at the others on eBay I just posted - going in the hundreds. Super rare they look. And there's more. But I've got to log off now. Wife's nagging. See you tomorrow boys!

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

I can actually add 800 years, although a lot of Jedi training went on at the same time.

Look at the others on eBay I just posted - going in the hundreds. Super rare they look. And there's more. But I've got to log off now. Wife's nagging. See you tomorrow boys!

Before I go - @Harry Lime - Harry - have you ever seen these mate? Speak tomorrow if you have!

3 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

No, I haven't but they are DC, I wouldn't be looking. :baiting:

Poor DC. Nobody loves them :sorry:

The CBPG site actually has a separate summary page on them which I didn't see at first:

http://www.comicpriceguide.co.uk/lists.php?id=24

9.thumb.PNG.8e9df40653edf56d41d2bb21497107a2.PNG

9a.thumb.PNG.3b4dc3137ca3f27c768b37813b9ad880.PNG

4 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Poor DC. Nobody loves them :sorry:

The CBPG site actually has a separate summary page on them which I didn't see at first:

http://www.comicpriceguide.co.uk/lists.php?id=24

9.thumb.PNG.8e9df40653edf56d41d2bb21497107a2.PNG

9a.thumb.PNG.3b4dc3137ca3f27c768b37813b9ad880.PNG

That's a quest to be sure hunting down all those. Is that where you are Marwood, is that why you rushed off so abruptly yesterday?:baiting:

9 minutes ago, Redshade said:

That's a quest to be sure hunting down all those. Is that where you are Marwood, is that why you rushed off so abruptly yesterday?:baiting:

:whistle:

39 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

I think for 10 squid even I might have been tempted. Congratulations!

There is one Marvel in it Harry :bigsmile:

The other day, I was thinking about All-Star Squadron, and how many pence copies exist. 

It's one.

1.thumb.jpg.6881c85f82ffd5bdc404bd218662fa46.jpg

The reason it's one, is that it has a dual priced number 2:

ass1.PNG.48caeceb23004d4977d7fe7948b05b0c.PNG

When I saved the image, I saved it as ass1. So we have to make do with an ass1 but no number 2.

I like DC pence priced variants.

End of message.

On 1/23/2018 at 9:16 PM, Redshade said:

Thanks for that link Steve I cannot find it, or similar, in the online version which is very unsophisticated in that one has to type in the exact title to get to a page and how can one do that if one doesn't know what's there? The hard copy that one could flick through was the better format I think.

ANYWAY. Since I commented in this thread some months ago I have been on the lookout for these hardbacks and they seem to be as rare as hens' teeth, partly because, I suspect, that a lot of these were broken up by kids trying to release the individual issues and thereby completely ruining them.

Well last week I finally found one, hurrah! Not only that, it is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT title to the ones shown here.

I haven't received it yet so I am rather premature with this reveal.

Watch this space.

Edited by Redshade

Hi. I’m an old-time UK comics collector, and have owned several copies of the above-mentioned hard cover annuals.

Unfortunately I no longer own them, so I can’t offer 100% proof, but I believe there are 12 different annuals in total. They are: the nine that are pictured above, plus Doom Patrol, Mystery In Space and Wonder Woman. I have owned (or seen) the Mystery In Space and Wonder Woman, so I am 100% sure they exist. I am only 99% (!) sure about the Doom Patrol one, but am pretty sure I have seen the cover printed somewhere.

They are indeed all quite scarce. My experience suggests the Showcase one is the commonest and the Doom Patrol is the rarest, but that’s just anecdotal.

A friend of mine owns most of them, and I have told him about this thread so perhaps he will post and give you more information.

Edited by yrag9591

1 hour ago, yrag9591 said:

Hi. I’m an old-time UK comics collector, and have owned several copies of the above-mentioned hard cover annuals.

Unfortunately I no longer own them, so I can’t offer 100% proof, but I believe there are 12 different annuals in total. They are: the nine that are pictured above, plus Doom Patrol, Mystery In Space and Wonder Woman. I have owned (or seen) the Mystery In Space and Wonder Woman, so I am 100% sure they exist. I am only 99% (!) sure about the Doom Patrol one, but am pretty sure I have seen the cover printed somewhere.

They are indeed all quite scarce. My experience suggests the Showcase one is the commonest and the Doom Patrol is the rarest, but that’s just anecdotal.

A friend of mine owns most of them, and I have told him about this thread so perhaps he will post and give you more information.

Hello yrag9591 and welcome to this forum.

This is exciting and invaluable information. I hope your friend will join us and give info about what DC comics are in the books he has.

49 minutes ago, yrag9591 said:

There are 24 different Double Double Comics (24 different covers, that is, but the interiors can be anything).

This has more information, with a comment from me in 2008 that lists all the Double Double Comics and their covers:

https://themagicrobot.wordpress.com/2008/03/17/thorpe-and-porter-double-double-comics/#comments

Thanks for the link, it's always good to find another site.

Marwood & I regret that they are unable to respond in person as they are currently enjoying an all expenses paid tour of the island of Deptford courtesy of cgcmod11. They have however graciously taken time out from their busy schedule to send the following message:

"We have pictures of Mystery in Space and Doom Patrol. Go find us a Wonder Woman". :)