Heritage May Auction
1 1

66 posts in this topic

This auctioneer is terrible.  She's saying nothing about the books.  They need to get Barry out there.

Edited by nearmint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


:eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$10,157.50 for Batman #44 CGC 8.0.

Edited by nearmint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, nearmint said:

This auctioneer is terrible.  She's saying nothing about the books.  They need to get Barry out there.

Lol.  "Salvage Comics 1" just sold for 11k.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, the Okajima Fighting Yank #8 CGC 8.0 just went for $5975.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The auctioneer is Elyse Luray.  She's been on History Detectives on PBS.  Do you think she is getting lower final prices than someone like Barry who might talk more (and maybe know more) about the books?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alzabar said:

The auctioneer is Elyse Luray.  She's been on History Detectives on PBS.  Do you think she is getting lower final prices than someone like Barry who might talk more (and maybe know more) about the books?

Yes.  At least she could have perused the list in advance so she would know it was Doc Savage comics #1, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicholas Dawes of Antiques Roadshow fame. I'm noticing a theme here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alzabar said:

The auctioneer is Elyse Luray.  She's been on History Detectives on PBS.  Do you think she is getting lower final prices than someone like Barry who might talk more (and maybe know more) about the books?

Definitely.  I wouldn't be happy if I were a consignor.  Barry is excellent at highlighting the positive aspects of a book, whether it's a pedigree, a key, or just a beautiful copy for the grade.  It definitely can generate another bid or two.  Vancouvers rarely come up for sale, and she didn't even mention it.  Cap 37 has a classic Schomburg cover, but his name wasn't mentioned.  I'm not even sure she mentioned that All-Star 8 is the first Wonder Woman.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My impression is that Heritage is working to further set itself apart from the comic auction competition with things like the first Platinum Night and auctioneers who are celebrities in the antiques world.  I don't think that this will make any difference for the core comic collecting community, but it might be an attempt to lure collectors from other categories into the game.  I do agree that with the really important books (e.g All-Star 8) something should be said about how wonderful the book is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Superman 1 (CGC 1.0 OW) didn't need any help from the auctioneer.  $83500 or so with vig.  Sharp book, especially for grade imho.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Wow, the Okajima Fighting Yank #8 CGC 8.0 just went for $5975.

Doesn't surprise me.  Okajima Japanese war covers are going to go high and that was a particularly striking one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday the Tec 38 CGC 3.5 went for $35,000. In the last CC auction a 3.0 went for about $50,000.  Crazy how prices can vary!!!!!

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Definitely.  I wouldn't be happy if I were a consignor.  Barry is excellent at highlighting the positive aspects of a book, whether it's a pedigree, a key, or just a beautiful copy for the grade.  It definitely can generate another bid or two.  Vancouvers rarely come up for sale, and she didn't even mention it.  Cap 37 has a classic Schomburg cover, but his name wasn't mentioned.  I'm not even sure she mentioned that All-Star 8 is the first Wonder Woman.

You are absolutely right.  Sandoval is great and the other auctioneers usually sound like they were just called in from the coffee room with five minutes notice.  No indication they have spent any time prepping for the auction.  Sandoval knows what a book should go for and isn't going to rush to closing if the book is underperforming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alzabar said:

It was a nice 4.0, but is $35K a bit high for an AF 15?

It's insane.  About triple what they were going for in that grade just a couple of years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the census there are 163 other copies in 4.0. It seems likely to me that you could find another one for less than $35K.  That said it is not a book that I follow closely, so maybe that is where the market is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Alzabar said:

According to the census there are 163 other copies in 4.0. It seems likely to me that you could find another one for less than $35K.  That said it is not a book that I follow closely, so maybe that is where the market is now.

I think a lot of people have convinced themselves that this book will never do anything but go up.  Which it will ... until it doesn't.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I think a lot of people have convinced themselves that this book will never do anything but go up.  Which it will ... until it doesn't.  

What happens then? (shrug)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Red Ryder #1 in 9.0 went for about $4000. Whoever bought that book is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person....

...savant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
1 1