• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May Auction
1 1

81 posts in this topic

This was such an unusual auction between the new timing and the upcoming Berk auction.  I got stuck in a procedure that should have been 20 minutes and ran 90 and missed out on a few books that went for 60% or so of what they should've.  I ended up with the one book I wanted most, but had to pay about twice what I expected it to fetch.  Wish I would've ended up paying 60% instead!

8 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

The timing of it all was off, just felt weird to see books ending at that time.  I thought at first that the online bidding would end that day then the live auction would begin the following day.

Yeah, I think the catalog should really emphasize the days and times more clearly and prominently, particularly when they deviate from what we're used to as they did this time.  

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, I think the catalog should really emphasize the days and times more clearly and prominently, particularly when they deviate from what we're used to as they did this time.  

Agree, I clicked on the auction an pulled up my tracked lots and they had all closed already.

On 5/20/2017 at 2:11 AM, lou_fine said:
On 5/19/2017 at 7:34 PM, Monkeyman said:

Yesterday the Tec 38 CGC 3.5 went for $35,000. In the last CC auction a 3.0 went for about $50,000.  Crazy how prices can vary!!!!!

Mike

Probably more a case of how the book presents relative to grade and also how grading can vary over the years.  :gossip:

Especially when the Heritage 3.5 copy was graded back in 2012 while the CC 3.0 copy was graded during the extremely tight GA grading time period of summer of 2016.

Virtually everybody that I have communicated with feels the CC 3.0 copy presented much nicer relative to it's assigned CGC 3.0 grade, with absolutely nobody hinting that it might have been overgraded.

In fact, I am aware of some board members here who were bidding on the CC 3.0 graded copy, but had no interest in bidding on the Heritage 3.5 graded copy.  It looks like the final results confirmed that this same sentiment went beyond the boards here.

Looks like bidders and potential buyers are now no longer blindly buying the label, and instead, are looking beyond just the label itself and also astutely buying the book. 

(thumbsu

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Times were a bit unusual this time around.  

A really nice Disney collection was auctioned off.  Snagged a few, missed on many.  Micky Mouse Magazine 9 CGC 8.0 for $4K was a bit of a shocker.  Great book for whoever picked it up.

Those Disney's were gorgeous. Sole purchase was the Tec 8.   Pre Batman Detectives about 1/2 complete. 

13 minutes ago, dannyboy said:

My only pickup from HA.  Put in my max bid on Friday and checked back yesterday and saw I'd been bid up a good bit, but max was still enough to get the win.  I love this book and I love the pedigree so am quite satisfied with this purchase.

Eerie2RiverCity.jpeg

Those Eeries all went for healthy prices.  

7 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

if all these little logistical issues got me my fantastic 5 at such a wonderful price, i hope the next auction starts at 4 a.m.

Well done. Nice book. Great price.

7 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

if all these little logistical issues got me my fantastic 5 at such a wonderful price, i hope the next auction starts at 4 a.m.

Or looking at it another way, you are boring and have no life.

BTW, thanks for bidding on my lot for me while I was out living it up!

Edited by MrBedrock

Just now, Straw-Man said:

what else could explain my choice of best bud.

Aw, that's why I edit stuff!