• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May Auction
1 1

81 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, HRCostigan said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think a lot of people have convinced themselves that this book will never do anything but go up.  Which it will ... until it doesn't.  

What happens then? (shrug)

Something ... definitely something.  At least, I think so. hm

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think a lot of people have convinced themselves that this book will never do anything but go up.  Which it will ... until it doesn't.  

I think that is one of the rules in Fizzbin, except on Tuesdays.  :$

4 hours ago, nearmint said:

This auctioneer is terrible.  She's saying nothing about the books.  They need to get Barry out there.

couldn't agree more.  Thought the sale of the Suspense 3 was a joke.  Could have said something about the iconic cover and Schomburg.  The book sold itself but I feel money could have been left on the table for the consigner given how uninformed that bid announcing was.

17 minutes ago, atomised said:
4 hours ago, nearmint said:

This auctioneer is terrible.  She's saying nothing about the books.  They need to get Barry out there.

couldn't agree more.  Thought the sale of the Suspense 3 was a joke.  Could have said something about the iconic cover and Schomburg.  The book sold itself but I feel money could have been left on the table for the consigner given how uninformed that bid announcing was.

I posted this earlier, but (as my wife says!) I repeat myself a lot:  I'm astounded by how little prep most of the non-Sandoval HA auctioneers seem to do for the comic auctions.  Can't they be bothered to, you know, even read their own catalog writeups? :makepoint:

5 hours ago, Alzabar said:

The auctioneer is Elyse Luray.  She's been on History Detectives on PBS.  Do you think she is getting lower final prices than someone like Barry who might talk more (and maybe know more) about the books?

Maybe, but I think the collecting community is well versed on what they are bidding on. She is pretty well versed on collectibles but not a comic book person. My wife and I had lunch with her at the Brimfield Antiques show a few years ago. Very cool lady and passionate about collectibles. Just a little out of her league here. Not hard on the eyes either...

luray_zpsuu67080z.jpg

6 hours ago, Monkeyman said:

Yesterday the Tec 38 CGC 3.5 went for $35,000. In the last CC auction a 3.0 went for about $50,000.  Crazy how prices can vary!!!!!

Mike

Probably more a case of how the book presents relative to grade and also how grading can vary over the years.  :gossip:

Especially when the Heritage 3.5 copy was graded back in 2012 while the CC 3.0 copy was graded during the extremely tight GA grading time period of summer of 2016.

Virtually everybody that I have communicated with feels the CC 3.0 copy presented much nicer relative to it's assigned CGC 3.0 grade, with absolutely nobody hinting that it might have been overgraded.

In fact, I am aware of some board members here who were bidding on the CC 3.0 graded copy, but had no interest in bidding on the Heritage 3.5 graded copy.  It looks like the final results confirmed that this same sentiment went beyond the boards here.

Looks like bidders and potential buyers are now no longer blindly buying the label, and instead, are looking beyond just the label itself and also astutely buying the book.  hm (thumbsu

51 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Sold that copy at sdcc 2 years ago for 25k iirc

I guess that's where the pages got a Light Tan. lol  Oh, that was a good one! :acclaim:

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Maybe, but I think the collecting community is well versed on what they are bidding on. She is pretty well versed on collectibles but not a comic book person. My wife and I had lunch with her at the Brimfield Antiques show a few years ago. Very cool lady and passionate about collectibles. Just a little out of her league here. Not hard on the eyes either...

luray_zpsuu67080z.jpg

Sure, the collecting community is well-versed in what they're bidding on, but talking up the fine points of a book generates enthusiasm and extra bids.  I've seen it many times, and Barry excels at it.

9 hours ago, nearmint said:

Sure, the collecting community is well-versed in what they're bidding on, but talking up the fine points of a book generates enthusiasm and extra bids.  I've seen it many times, and Barry excels at it.

This is true for all auctions, a good auctioneer serves both the consignor as well as the house by generating every incremental bid. I attend tons of auctions for all manner of stuff and I have seen bidding stall and then re-start after some exposition regarding the offered lot. If I consign to a house doing the live format, I want an advocate at the gavel.

Bought nothing this time.  First time in years.

Disaster on Friday which started much earlier than expected.  Since when has Heritage started a Signature auction at midday?   Was out playing cricket with my son when the books I wanted hit the block.

10 minutes ago, 1koko said:

Bought nothing this time.  First time in years.

Disaster on Friday which started much earlier than expected.  Since when has Heritage started a Signature auction at midday?   Was out playing cricket with my son when the books I wanted hit the block.

Times were a bit unusual this time around.  

A really nice Disney collection was auctioned off.  Snagged a few, missed on many.  Micky Mouse Magazine 9 CGC 8.0 for $4K was a bit of a shocker.  Great book for whoever picked it up.