• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four # 19 Worth Pressing?

15 posts in this topic

Fantastic Four # 19 Worth Pressing?

Desiring some input here, still getting back into the hobby and considering have a comic or two pressed to see what happens.  My first one up for a possible press and re-grade is a Fantastic Four # 19.  Curious what others think if it will help the grade based on the grader notes.  My gut tells me no as the issues they mention don't seem to be improved with pressing.  Here is the CGC grader's notes/info:

Title:  Fantastic Four
Issue:  19
Issue Date:  10/63
Issue Year:  1963
Publisher:  Marvel Comics
Grade:  9.2
Total Graded At:  13
Page Quality:  WHITE
Grade Date:  12/29/2014
Category:  Universal
Art Comments:  Stan Lee story
Jack Kirby and Ayers art
Jack Kirby and Paul Reinman cover
Key Comments:  1st appearance of Rama-Tut.
Letter from Steve Gerber.
Full page ad for X-Men #1
Grader Notes:  Back Cover Multiple Shadow
Bottom Staple Wear Breaks Color
Spine Lite Stress Lines Breaks Color
Top Staple Recessed

Ditto and considering how they are grading now, I wouldn't be surprised that it will get downgraded for some of the listed grades.

Nothing in the notes even says that there is anything that pressing could help anyways.

xoxo

greggy

No. Did you buy this already slabbed? It may have been pressed already. As Greggy pointed out you may get a downgrade.  I would also be concerned about losing the White Page designation. Leave it alone.

On 5/20/2017 at 9:33 PM, Douglas M. Haus said:

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful

SO getting it signature series (the highest one) by Stan Lee would also be a mistake?

Would you be happy with an 8.5 SS?  ( or lower)

so many things can happen once you crack the book open - including the grading scale being harsher.....  If interested in getting a book signed, why not get a raw one with pressable defects?

On 5/20/2017 at 9:33 PM, Douglas M. Haus said:

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful

SO getting it signature series (the highest one) by Stan Lee would also be a mistake?

It sounds like you are only asking these questions to increase the valuation of the book. In that case, do whatever. If you care about the book, leave it alone.

Thanks for the replies.  Very helpful.  Just want to put it out there that while I do consider investments in comic books, one of my favorite, perhaps my favorite Marvel villain is Rama-Tut/Kang the Conqueror and for me it is also huge to have the creator of that character to place their mark on the creation

On 5/24/2017 at 11:16 PM, Douglas M. Haus said:

Thanks for the replies.  Very helpful.  Just want to put it out there that while I do consider investments in comic books, one of my favorite, perhaps my favorite Marvel villain is Rama-Tut/Kang the Conqueror and for me it is also huge to have the creator of that character to place their mark on the creation

I'll join the chorus and say there's nothing in the grader's notes that indicates that the book has defects that a press would help.  And you would also be rolling the dice on getting a down grade because CGC has gotten tougher on shadows. And the White page designation would also be at risk on a regrade.

That said, though, if you would get a big kick out of having Stan sign your favorite FF issue and the book is meant for your collection (rather than for resale), then I'd go for it and not worry that you might come out the other end with a 9.0 or 8.5 yellow label.