• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns and Romance Comics
2 2

214 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

At the end of this story, the Two-Gun kid travels to the present day with the Avengers, and ends up living in the present for about 30 issues before a battle with the Collector during the Korvac Saga convinces him he;s out of place and he returns to the 19th century. 

In The Marvels Project, he's later shown as an old man on his death bed in the late 1930's. Having seen the future and knowing what is about to happen to the world, he bequeaths his six-guns and mask to the doctor taking care of him - who is inspired to become Marvel's first Golden Age superhero, The Angel.  

bambambam.jpg

One of the things I find appealing about this book from what I have read/heard about the story is these are the "real" western hero's, not impersonators, so to have 5 together at one time is something special, and add in Patsy Walker (before she was a "Super Hero") and you have both the Western and Romance stories  covered in one book.

12 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

One of the things I find appealing about this book from what I have read/heard about the story is these are the "real" western hero's, not impersonators, so to have 5 together at one time is something special, and add in Patsy Walker (before she was a "Super Hero") and you have both the Western and Romance stories  covered in one book.

I bought those issues off the rack back in the day, and they were really fun. A great era for The Avengers!

On 5/26/2017 at 2:41 PM, Dr. Love said:

Thanks, john. love your copy too.  Oakland's across the board really didn't disappoint, eh? very consistently high grade.  Interesting how the label notes back in 2005 didn't credit Romita with the cover - when he took the trouble to sign it.  By 2008 the label notes had changed and Romita was given the cover credit.  Years and years drawing covers for DC romance, never allowed to sign off, not that any of the "help" could then.  Contrast that with Colletta at Atlas in the 50's getting his name out there as much as he could.

The Oaklands are beauties. Curious, was there an Oakland Copy for Our Love Story 13?

Always loved Romita's signature placement on this cover.

On 2017-5-26 at 8:54 AM, Dr. Love said:

True all of that!

If you're talking Marvel as in late Atlas, then you had Kirby finishing up the Love Romances run as a fitting personal end to the genre he started just twelve years prior

LoveRomances88f_zps0hzhykw3.jpg

If you're talking Marvel like bronze johnny is with Our Love and My Love, then you've got Romita giving his farewell tour to a genre that gave him his start in the business.  From a long apprenticeship at DC he created the look that would culminate with the iconic hotness of MJ and Gwen that imho were 70% of the success Romita had with Spidey. 

FallinginLove50f_zpsn2ue9jgy.jpg

mylove1nmfc100a_zps14e52426.jpg

The romance books have some beautiful covers. I was recently at 30th Century Comics looking for pence copies and they had a ton of old romance comics which I went through cover by cover. I kind of ignored them when I was younger but now I'm older, and wiser (?) I see some real quality art in them. I'd happily put a run together now just for the covers.  

Great morning mucking about with comics today - here's a nice group shot:

group.thumb.jpg.5153f3fea5a3925ffac7e5ae5d48cdbd.jpg

I picked up this lovely Gunsmoke Western # 57 (first Two-Gun Kid):

59cf8ecc350de_5710c.thumb.jpg.ad96ba0a0e1ade830aa783d916128520.jpg

There's some more Western pics in my threads here if you're interested:

:headbang:

On 5/26/2017 at 3:49 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I was scrolling through eBay yesterday and came across this book, first time I have ever seen this.

My Avengers collection stops at issue 125.

May have to buy a copy, just because.

142-2.jpg

It almost has a certain Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse feel to it at first glance.... if the darker horses were black and red (they have white and pale covered)

The Lamb of God, or Lion of Judah, (Jesus Christ) opens the first four of the seven seals, which summons forth four beings that ride out on white, red, black, and pale horses. Although some interpretations differ, in most accounts, the four riders are seen as symbolizing Conquest, War, Famine, and Death, respectively.

Four Horsemen