• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns and Romance Comics
2 2

214 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

I just noticed that Marvel did a "Archie" style book called CHILI that is also a red head. Someone at Marvel must really like red heads (I have to admit a bias as well).

Chili_Vol_1_1.jpg

Chili Storm is Millie the Model's best frenemy. This series started during the height of Archie popularity, when the Archies cartoon was so huge and Archie books were at the top of the sales chart. Millie the Model also went to Archie-style art and contents during this period. 

Most people don't realize how long Millie ran - it wasn't cancelled until December, 1973 with #207. Chili was canceled at the same time, with issue #26. 

Last issue of Millie (not my copy):

Millie_the_Model_Vol_1_207.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

22 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I'll pick up westerns I know Gene Colan worked on, but I won't touch his romance stuff.  I have enough on the go, I don't want to open that door.

It's not Marvel, but man, he did some awesome romance work at DC.

Always loved this striking monochrome cover (not my copy):

Girls'_Romances_Vol_1_108.jpg

5 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

finally, a boardie sent me a link to this'un, knowing about my off-register fetish, and i grabbed it--the only non-g.a. book in that little peculiar run of mine.  it is also my only pence book.

annieoakley.jpg

It looks like the black plate got off center.

On 2017-05-19 at 6:13 PM, Dogsupreme said:

Marvel Westerns and Romance Comics

Anyone have any love for the non-hero Marvel comics? I've been picking up Marvel westerns (the "Kid" comics) and romance comics on the cheap but they are incredibly hard to find in high grade.

This book sat in my personal collection. I couldn't resist this gorgeous cover. Turn out it graded highest graded.

Rawhide%20Kid%2026%20CGC%209.4%20OWW%200

22 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i told a fib; i have another pence book, and amazingly coincidental that it, too, is a western [given i have so few].

rk.jpg

Pence copy alert! :headbang:

3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

i told a fib; i have another pence book, and amazingly coincidental that it, too, is a western [given i have so few].

rk.jpg

Interesting. There is a RED RAVEN that appears in the X-MEN as well. These can't be the same can they?

49_94499_0_UncannyXMen44RedRavenRedRaven.jpg

5 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

Interesting. There is a RED RAVEN that appears in the X-MEN as well. These can't be the same can they?

Red Raven has been a name that has been reused several times over the decades.

On 5/20/2017 at 8:27 AM, bronze johnny said:

The Silver Age gets a bad rap thanks to the some who incorrectly think it's all superhero. I see posts questioning why a war book is in Overstreet's top 20 Silver Age keys. Some people can't get beyond the fact that the Silver Age had great Western, Romance, Sci-Fi, Mystery, and War comics. The guys over in Gold brag about how fantastic Golden Age books are, and they are. Silver Age books are awesome too- the Silver Age art of Kirby, Gil Kane, Swan, Infantino, Anderson, Steranko, Adams, Kubert, Grandenetti, Heath, Cardy, Buscema, Ditko, Romita, etc. stands on its own and in many cases- is superior to their Golden Age predecessors. Unfortunately, the focus of the Silver Age forum for a vociferous few is on subjects based on questions about "how much will my Spidey be worth?; what's the best book to invest in? Why hasn't TOS 39 in such and such grade not sell for more? When will Hulk 1 go up in value? Will the movie raise the value of my book? etc.  This is a refreshing thread that identifies the multi-dimensional Silver Age- more than the return of the superhero. Romance and Westerns!! This late SA gem, along with its counterpart, My Love 1, started the last of Marvel's romance books. The sun was setting on the romance genre, but how beautiful that sunset was while it lasted...

IMG_1041.JPG.11ec9100da34674c51c653d902d4cd40.JPG

True all of that!

If you're talking Marvel as in late Atlas, then you had Kirby finishing up the Love Romances run as a fitting personal end to the genre he started just twelve years prior

LoveRomances88f_zps0hzhykw3.jpg

If you're talking Marvel like bronze johnny is with Our Love and My Love, then you've got Romita giving his farewell tour to a genre that gave him his start in the business.  From a long apprenticeship at DC he created the look that would culminate with the iconic hotness of MJ and Gwen that imho were 70% of the success Romita had with Spidey. 

FallinginLove50f_zpsn2ue9jgy.jpg

mylove1nmfc100a_zps14e52426.jpg

I was scrolling through eBay yesterday and came across this book, first time I have ever seen this.

My Avengers collection stops at issue 125.

May have to buy a copy, just because.

142-2.jpg

Edited by marvelmaniac

3 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

True all of that!

If you're talking Marvel as in late Atlas, then you had Kirby finishing up the Love Romances run as a fitting personal end to the genre he started just twelve years prior

LoveRomances88f_zps0hzhykw3.jpg

If you're talking Marvel like bronze johnny is with Our Love and My Love, then you've got Romita giving his farewell tour to a genre that gave him his start in the business.  From a long apprenticeship at DC he created the look that would culminate with the iconic hotness of MJ and Gwen that imho were 70% of the success Romita had with Spidey. 

FallinginLove50f_zpsn2ue9jgy.jpg

mylove1nmfc100a_zps14e52426.jpg

I'm glad you mentioned Kirby and the role he had in starting the Romance Comic Book. Once again, Kirby was a major catalyst in comic book history. It's incredible how much he gave to the comic book. Great books! Love your My Love 1. Here's the other of the last of Marvel's "late" SA romance keys:

IMG_1748.thumb.JPG.a1692fcce1742a5ef4a57eae595333b0.JPG

3 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I was scrolling through eBay yesterday and came across this book, first time I have ever seen this.

My Avengers collection stops at issue 125.

May have to buy a copy, just because.

142-2.jpg

Ha! When you've read it please report back how it goes. I'm keen to know who wins, given how evenly matched the two sides are!

3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Ha! When you've read it please report back how it goes. I'm keen to know who wins, given how evenly matched the two sides are!

At the end of this story, the Two-Gun kid travels to the present day with the Avengers, and ends up living in the present for about 30 issues before a battle with the Collector during the Korvac Saga convinces him he;s out of place and he returns to the 19th century. 

In The Marvels Project, he's later shown as an old man on his death bed in the late 1930's. Having seen the future and knowing what is about to happen to the world, he bequeaths his six-guns and mask to the doctor taking care of him - who is inspired to become Marvel's first Golden Age superhero, The Angel.  

bambambam.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

5 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

I'm glad you mentioned Kirby and the role he had in starting the Romance Comic Book. Once again, Kirby was a major catalyst in comic book history. It's incredible how much he gave to the comic book. Great books! Love your My Love 1. Here's the other of the last of Marvel's "late" SA romance keys:

IMG_1748.thumb.JPG.a1692fcce1742a5ef4a57eae595333b0.JPG

Thanks, john. love your copy too.  Oakland's across the board really didn't disappoint, eh? very consistently high grade.  Interesting how the label notes back in 2005 didn't credit Romita with the cover - when he took the trouble to sign it.  By 2008 the label notes had changed and Romita was given the cover credit.  Years and years drawing covers for DC romance, never allowed to sign off, not that any of the "help" could then.  Contrast that with Colletta at Atlas in the 50's getting his name out there as much as he could.

8 minutes ago, electricprune said:

My favorite Silver Age Western, favorite Western actually.

IMG_1309.JPG

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings @electricprune, but I'm afraid there's a printing error on that copy. It's supposed to look like this :wink:

110.thumb.jpg.2492a5570d1bf095ce8ae1782922ab7f.jpg