• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SNEAK PEEK AT IDW'S KIRBY FF ARTIST'S EDITION

6 posts in this topic

SNEAK PEEK AT IDW'S KIRBY FF ARTIST'S EDITION

Happy Friday!

Apologies for the somewhat OT subject - but it is a book featuring scans of OA, so ....

Had the pleasure of talking with Scott Dunbier about the upcoming Twice Up Kirby Fantastic Four Artist's Edition for SYFYWire ... and got an advance look at some of the great pages in the book. That FF #65 pg 1 Splash -- YOWZA!

Anyway, hope you all enjoy..

Mike

http://www.blastr.com/2017-5-19/idw-artist-edition-jack-kirby-fantastic-four

I just received my copy of World's Greatest Artist's Edition and I just finished picking my jaw up off the ground.  As someone who is relatively new to the hobby and doesn't really get out to conventions, this was the first time I have ever seen an artist's edition or any of Kirby's two-up artwork (ok, a reasonable facsimile) in person.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that seeing this book is a game changer for me.  Let's just say I totally get it now!  Artist's Editions are awesome!  Kirby is awesome!  Two-up art is mind-blowingly awesome! 

I'll likely never own one of these pages myself (although the idea of acquiring one suddenly has become an obsession), but this book is absolutely the next best thing.  I work in book manufacturing and for the last decade have specialized in digital preservation and with all modesty feel like I've done some really nice facsimile/reproduction work, but this thing blows away anything I've ever worked on.  What a spectacular piece of business.  Everything from the high quality of the scans (seriously, it's not easy to reproduce such old, yellowing paper tones like this), to the thick paperstock, to the great binding, to the matte finish on the cover.  It's all top notch.  I've never even read the comics reproduced in this book (I'm working through the original FF right now and am at #30) and have only become to appreciate Kirby in recent years and yet this book is my new favorite thing ever.  Bravo IDW.