• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Rich Buckler
3 3

38 posts in this topic

J David Spurlock posted this:

Rest In Peace RICH BUCKLER (Feb 6, 1949 —May 9, 2017). 
I'm very sad to report on the loss of my old friend Rich Buckler who, had been quietly battling cancer for a few years. Rich and I met nearly 35 years ago when he took a break from Marvel and DC to spend a couple of years as an editor for Archie Comics' Red Circle superhero line. We worked on a few art projects together and always wanted to do more. We did his book, How To Draw Dynamic Comic Books, together and I occasionally booked him for personal appearances. Though we would keep up via the phone, email and facebook, as well as through his friends Clifford Meth and Joe Goulart, the last time Rich and I saw each other was when this photo was shot -- the two of us with Basil Gogos, at New York Comic Con 2015. 
Rich worked on so much through his career... I first discovered him with his Creepy magazine work in the late '60s then his Marvel debut on Avengers in 1972. He had many great runs including on Fantastic Four inked by Joe Sinnott but may be best remembered for his creation, Deathlok the cyborg. Also, he was the only artist besides Jack Kirby & Carmine Infantino to have US Postage Stamps in BOTH the Marvel and the DC sets. I imagine him chatting-up Jack Kirby, Wally Wood and Salvador Dali now, somewhere in another cosmic dimension. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

May 9th?

Edited by drewincanada

9 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

R.I.P.

to the creator of Deathlok.

3e575e1f8d6960acfad01eceab6654be.jpg

Yup. That's what I remember him for the most.  One of my favourite Bronze Age characters.

Sad news.