• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Rich Buckler
3 3

38 posts in this topic

Wow I totally missed this, he was at a show in Dallas a couple of years ago and he was genuinely shocked at the number of people that stopped by his booth, in a good way. I talked with him for about 30 minutes, fascinating guy with some great stories about 1970's Marvel.  I should also add a super nice guy. You'll be missed Rich. 

Deathlok is one of, if not my favorite, of the 1970s comic books that came out during my "golden age" when I was twelve.  I met Rich in 1996 at Heroes Convention in Charlotte.  If I recall he was by himself and had time to chat with me.  He signed my Astonishing Tales original art page (#33, page #30) and wished each other well.  I had hoped to see him sometime again, but never had the chance.  Rest well Rich.  Paul~

I completely missed this too.  Admittedly, Buckler was never my favorite artists back in the day, but I always liked him.  Like a lot of things in my youth, I under appreciated him now that I look back.  Definitely RIP.  The industry and community will miss him. 

Having grown up seeing Kirby's early Silver Age Marvel output, I immediately took to Buckler's pencils in the early seventies.  He was clearly influenced by the King's style, and in a good way.

I'm sorry to learn of his passing.

Edited by namisgr

I also enjoyed his 70s Kirby-esque pencils. I can’t recall that he was at any Boston shows in the last decade, but luckily he appeared in RI 4 years ago and got a Deathlok sketch. Although we didn’t talk extensively, he was very pleasant and seemed to be a very nice guy. Hate to see another creator from that era gone. R.I.P.

BucklerDeathlok.jpg~original

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

I also enjoyed his 70s Kirby-esque pencils. I can’t recall that he was at any Boston shows in the last decade, but luckily he appeared in RI 4 years ago and got a Deathlok sketch. Although we didn’t talk extensively, he was very pleasant and seemed to be a very nice guy. Hate to see another creator from that era gone. R.I.P.

BucklerDeathlok.jpg~original

Nice.  Thanks for sharing.  Paul~

I recently read Eerie 29, which had some nice, early art by him...

Eerie+%252329_+20.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred