• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vancouver (BC) Comic Arts Fest May 20-21, 2017
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Vancouver (BC) Comic Arts Fest May 20-21, 2017

Over 100 comics guests (mostly independent press from Pacific Northwest) at the annual Vancouver, BC Comic Art Festival held at Yaletown Roundhouse running to Sunday May 21, 2017. Saw Pia Guerra (DC's Y: the last Man) selling T rump b/w prints for about $10, Ron Randall selling original published comic art (Dark Horse, DC Hanna-Barbera, some Marvel) pages that average $100 to $450 each, 2 French artists on an international tour. Arn Saba's 'Neil the Horse' compilation was available for signing.

Got a repro of rare Canadian Wow #1 in color for $10 signed by current editor Hope Nicholson, and she was also selling a compilation of Dime Comics b/w $5.

5jgszvD.jpg

FREE admission. Parking downtown about $2 per hour. 2 gymnasium sized halls plus a smaller side hall with locally created video game demos (new to this event). More info here:

featured Comic Festival guests

I picked up a book called "A Wolf in the Wood" by Tory Woollcott, and she did this little doodle for me.

She is from Toronto. Despite that, we roasted Toronto and she put over Vancouver as the superior city.
Toronto is basically a parking lot with a mayor. Just a needlessly large version of Edmonton.

Tory.jpg

Overall I give this show a thumbs up.

PROS:
Free Admission
Lots of space to move around
Artists seem happier at this low key show
I didn't see most of the savages that I see at other Vancouver comic shows
Great Venue, great part of town to be in on a nice sunny day

CONS:
No Keys

flatliner,

Not sure if Van CAF qualifies as a low key show, as weekend attendance is over 10,000. Just less comics vultures than we usually see at HH Con or Van Comic Show. Interesting that Dedemonikaos (spelling?) from ECCC and Pop Reed promotions has taken over as Van CAF director with this show in partnership with Toronto's CAF (to share comics creator guests) :foryou: per their website.