• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - FANTASTIC FOUR 3 - NICE COPY!

26 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2017 at 3:03 PM, 1Cool said:

Aren't you going to get it graded no matter what we say??

I suspect he hasn't purchased it yet and wants to get opinions on grade so he can make an offer. Smart strategy. If so, I am suspicious about the bottom edge also. It is indeed razor sharp. You usually can't tell if a book is trimmed by comparing it to another book. 

when I look at the two books I see in the slabbed one more space at the top between the edge and the comic code auth label and I see less space between the  *hide out" at the bottom. On the non slabbed one, the reverse appears to be the case. There's more space at the bottom on the one with the really clean edge at the bottom. While I don't have a tape measure on it and I do accept that the covers were not cut with surgical accuracy, it does seem to me that there isn't the evidence to support the notion that the book has been trimmed. Am I way off on this logic?

9 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

when I look at the two books I see in the slabbed one more space at the top between the edge and the comic code auth label and I see less space between the  *hide out" at the bottom. On the non slabbed one, the reverse appears to be the case. There's more space at the bottom on the one with the really clean edge at the bottom. While I don't have a tape measure on it and I do accept that the covers were not cut with surgical accuracy, it does seem to me that there isn't the evidence to support the notion that the book has been trimmed. Am I way off on this logic?

You can't necessarily tell if a book has been trimmed by measuring it.  The fact that the bottom edge is razor sharp is suspect. 

11 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You can't necessarily tell if a book has been trimmed by measuring it.  The fact that the bottom edge is razor sharp is suspect. 

Its good advice to always be on your guard in this hobby.  I'm sure there must be many books in my collection that will turn out to have undisclosed defects.  Always figured I'd make up for the loss with volume.

14 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't disagree about measuring but I do think the print has a definite length when being mocked up for galley in the first place. My point was to compare the total space from the top print and then look at the bottom print to see if it had been lost somewhere. I don't see that comparing the 7.5 and this book which makes me doubt the trimming. If both books appeared the same at the top but not at the bottom and the bottom of the suspect book was shorter on the bottom visually  I would be going in the trim direction.  I just don't see that. It certainly is clean though. So is the right hand part of the front cover when you consider it.  The cover was not particularly well centered and the front color work overlaps on to the spine and around the back a fraction  which would have kept that front right from getting a ton of abrasion.  That in turn would have pushed the back cover out and away from the content and I would have thought more abrasion would occur due to that but it seems very clean as well. Maybe someone hated the FF4 , , read it once and threw it in the closet. 

Nice Book.

Edited by Glassman10
more thoughts