• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obscure mistakes
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Was just re-reading ASM #6 and noticed an error I'd missed before. Peter Parker goes to the natural history museum to learn more about lizards, and says

"I figure it won't hurt me to learn all I can about lizards, just in case! So, I might as well start with the biggest ones... the dinosaurs!"

Dinosaurs are obviously not lizards. I understand that the word "dinosaur" means "terrible lizard" but I'm assuming the misnomer was recognized long before the issue was written. Was this just lazy writing / lack of research?

let's hear some other mistakes, even if they're as nitpicking as mine!

Edited by Foley
Changed title

41 minutes ago, Foley said:

ASM #6 Mistake

Was just re-reading ASM #6 and noticed an error I'd missed before. Peter Parker goes to the natural history museum to learn more about lizards, and says

"I figure it won't hurt me to learn all I can about lizards, just in case! So, I might as well start with the biggest ones... the dinosaurs!"

Dinosaurs are obviously not lizards. I understand that the word "dinosaur" means "terrible lizard" but I'm assuming the misnomer was recognized long before the issue was written. Was this just lazy writing / lack of research?

It's not War and Peace Ryan! I don't think that level of factual accuracy would've been uppermost in Stan's mind back then. Remember, he got Peters name wrong in one issue. But I like the fact you spotted it. Could be a good new thread - obscure muck ups. Change the thread title and off we go! xD

4 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

It's not War and Peace Ryan! I don't think that level of factual accuracy would've been uppermost in Stan's mind back then. Remember, he got Peters name wrong in one issue. But I like the fact you spotted it. Could be a good new thread - obscure muck ups. Change the thread title and off we go! xD

True, and good idea! I'll ask for it to be moved to comics general so we're not limited to Silver Age books. 

Edited by Foley

I'm also thinking a lot of people felt dinosaurs were lizards back then or at the very least lizard-like. I remember watching 1,000,000 years BC, which did come out a few years later and they filmed an actual lizard in such a way to make him appear as large as a dinosaur.

12 hours ago, Foley said:

let's hear some other mistakes, even if they're as nitpicking as mine!

As a fully paid up member of the city of Londinium, Englandville, I must take issue (95) with the geographical accuracy of this cover! :preach:

95p.thumb.jpg.a454cb59a082e0a047464a4215351241.jpg.373149d7fd173c7cc50daf16c01c50df.jpg  

Edited by Marwood & I
Obscure spelling mistake ?

1 hour ago, Aman619 said:

What the heck does that price mean?  Looks like a Seinfeld joke taxi driver name tag..

Ha! That would be one of our Englandville shillings @Aman619

You can read all about our lovely currency (in relation to comics) here:

and here:

and here!

But only if you're bored.

There's an early issue of ASM where he is called "Super-Man" in one panel.

Also an early issue of X-Men where ice man freezes milk and makes ice cream, without any other ingredients.

Edited by catman76

On 2017-05-21 at 7:22 AM, namisgr said:

Dinosaurs are considered reptiles.  That they were predecessors of birds is a more recent concept.

Yep.

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:
On 5/21/2017 at 0:22 PM, namisgr said:

Dinosaurs are considered reptiles.  That they were predecessors of birds is a more recent concept.

Yep.

True, they are reptiles, but not lizards. Reptilia is a class that contains the order squamata (lizards, snakes) and the 2 orders of dinosaurs (Saurischia and Ornithischia)

But to call a dinosaurs lizards is just as wrong as calling them snakes. rantrant

29 minutes ago, Foley said:

True, they are reptiles, but not lizards. Reptilia is a class that contains the order squamata (lizards, snakes) and the 2 orders of dinosaurs (Saurischia and Ornithischia)

But to call a dinosaurs lizards is just as wrong as calling them snakes. rantrant

I can't believe that their Master @lizards2 has not yet chimed in with a definitive answer. Liz? Stop painting / crabbing and start explaining the lineage of your people!

4 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

He's in the toilet with the other ghoulies.

Fighting the C.H.U.D.S.

That explains it ?

6 hours ago, Marwood & I said:
6 hours ago, Foley said:

I can't believe that their Master @lizards2 has not yet chimed in with a definitive answer. Liz? Stop painting / crabbing and start explaining the lineage of your people!

Eh.  They're all sexy. (shrug)

What about Fin Fang Foom?

He's a dragon, and has it ever been established whether these are lizards or some other, separate sub-group of reptile, or, like the Tyrannosaurus Rex, maybe genetically related to modern-day chickens? 

I'm confused, which is very easy for me.