• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MotorCity Comicon 2017, Saturday photos
1 1

25 posts in this topic

MotorCity Comicon 2017, Saturday photos

Hey all,

I went to MotorCity with my son and my neighbor and his boy and this year I took a bunch of pictures.

Now this is the first topic I have started since the boards have switched, plus the first time trying to post photos. Hopefully I will get this right. I've got a ton of photos to post. I'll start with the line and walk up to the entrance.

I think I'll post nearly every picture I took, so that those of you that could not go can get an idea what it was like.

It was sunny on the walk in. This would change by the time we left in the afternoon.

IMG_0837.thumb.JPG.3dbeb9c288125beeefaced263696d141.JPGIMG_0838.thumb.JPG.30641af1128bff6f30ca17cb617b8dde.JPGIMG_0839.thumb.JPG.62c232a409b74fe379f21f4d8a3709c4.JPGIMG_0840.thumb.JPG.bdd03131c41e9f42dac2ef83fb6a6a89.JPGIMG_0841.thumb.JPG.9cf4f0a6ee2df4c0c23f64afe817beb3.JPGIMG_0842.thumb.JPG.1a7cfcb420f8b5dae049927d27d0f613.JPGIMG_0844.thumb.JPG.81da454efce3bc8b17ad46b8937cbefa.JPGIMG_0845.thumb.JPG.a7b0bb814c70103b6f42f7aa902fec18.JPG

Anyways apologies for the lack of text, but I wanted to get these posted before I have to head out to get some work done.

It took me a while to shrink them down from my camera's 3.2mb size each as I was not sure how this uploading would work, but it went pretty well so I think I got it figured out now.

A quick note about the show. There were a lot of people there, so that is cool, but I wish they had had more space between the isles as it was not easy to check out all of the comics. I was so glad to see so many dealers there, though. I heard that the owners of this place plan on expanding it so that would be good. All in all a fun time.

I was there Saturday as well. Thanks for sharing the pictures! I take maybe 1 or 2.

My daughter and nephew went with me again this year. Everyone had a good time. I went to my usual dealers, Dale Roberts and Bob Storm, and picked up some great books. I got a nice X-Men #266 CGC 9.4 and Giant-Size Dracula #5 among other from Dale. And Bob helped me upgrade my DC Comics Presents #1 to a CGC 9.4. (Amazingly, the one I bought at the drug store in 1978 didn't stay in great shape in my 12 year old hands... lol) I also got some beautiful Marvel Features with Red Sonja (7 run set is complete!), X-Men #282, some great World's Finest Dollar books (more examples of upgrading those well-loved ones I bought back in the day.) I stopped by Catrick and actually did a trade. What was kind of fun about that was that he didn't really have anything on my "list" so I picked up some books out of sheer curiosity. (Kind of like when I was a kid on my first trips to a comic book store.) Got Amazing Adventures #1 and Forever People #1.

I decided to get a signed print from Neal Adams. Even though I have a book signed by him, I wasn't present at the time. Sadly, with Bernie passing, I knew I should get it while I could. Neal was great and I bought a GL #76 print and had him sign it. Saw Frank Cho there and got a Red Sonja signed print.

Overall, it was pretty good this year but I noticed (or didn't have time with 2 kids who were ready to leave... lol) there was a lack of the $2 - $10 books. My usual source, Lange's, ended up bringing t-shirts and $.50 and $1 books. I'm usually able to fill some late 70 and up to mid-80's gaps in my collection when they bring the $2+ boxes. I didn't see many more that brought books like what I was hunting for. (3 Conan Annuals - late 80's and early 90's - and the run of Conan is complete!) Also, agree that the aisles got too tight up near the front.

7 hours ago, ThreeSeas said:

IMG_0862.thumb.JPG.89230330a2e7689b9791df8d471fc8a2.JPG

You shoulds lapped up some of that wolf whizz - I hear it gives you magical powers!  :gossip:

10 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Sweet it was like being there again ! 

Saturdays are much more hectic , thankfully i can take off work to go on Friday-not so crowded

did you find any of your want list comics?

thanks for photo's

Yes, It was a bit crowded, but that was okay.

I did not find some of the comics I was interested in, but that is my fault for not going through every isle. My neighbor has trouble walking and when he was ready to go, we left.

For comics, my tastes right now are Carl Barks' duck comics and Horror comics from the 1970's and before (Tales of the Unexpected,The Witching Hour, Etc.). I had to get a car this year, so it kind of set back my comic buying a little bit. Next year I will be in a better position to do some buying, though.