• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estate Auction: original owner 92 years old, 200+ Pre-code, Crime and Romance Gold
3 3

164 posts in this topic

On 5/21/2017 at 5:17 PM, tabcom said:

Ran out of memory on the camera. It was for the best, needed to get my bids in. :headbang:

amazing books - Sorry if the vent below is off putting for the thread.

I was annoyed very much by the attitude of the auctioneer, her placing a large soda drink on the half-arsed "table"/piece of rough plywood used to display the items, and the handling of these incredible books. These estate folks probably did more damage to these books than was done in the past 40 years alone.

I just am really not a fan of people who don't understand the value of condition on these items and how their handling shows their lack of respect for the items. Why ALL of these books were not put into some protective bags or even placing a bed sheet or some sort of cloth on the plywood-- UGGH--- I cringed every time they dragged or pushed the books around on the table like they were sorting old phone books or something.

I guess that is the nature of the environment-- as I have watched numerous other videos of these so-called "expert" pickers who handle comics like they are no big deal and telling people how important and valuable they are at the same time. Later videos of the same people address collectors expressing similar annoyance of their lack of care to which they say "well you don't understand-- it was a really long day and we were moving so many books". Here's a thought-- move the books to a new location and then go through them in a respectful way. No one is doubting you found this collection--- jamming them back into the ox to get to the next book which you stumble over even the pronunciation of the title is not impressing me dufus.

Edited by 01TheDude
missing words/spelling errors

Neither the auctioneer nor the consigner (grand-daughter) knew what they had.

It could of been worst.

Instead of the auction being in mid-May, it could have taken place during a humid mid-July Indiana summer.

On 5/22/2017 at 2:52 PM, tabcom said:
On 5/22/2017 at 2:46 PM, Robot Man said:

Good thing, I don't think my heart could take it. Think about this... say 250 books at cover price = $25.00. I think the old man did better with his investment than any body else... I would love to hear what he had to say.

His daughter was happy.

And yet if only she knew.  doh!  :mad:  :censored:

I guess this is where the term "Ignorance is bliss" must apply.  (thumbsu

Hopefully for her own sake, she never finds out. :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine