• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estate Auction: original owner 92 years old, 200+ Pre-code, Crime and Romance Gold
3 3

164 posts in this topic

Incredible raw vintage comics. Tales of Terror EC annual(?),  Terror Tales, Witchcraft #5 (?) classic painted cover, etc. Seemed to be at least 3 hard core and moneyed :o comics bidders in that room for the estate sale.

Bidding came down to a guy from PA who introduced himself as an auction house consigner named Ozzie., a local doctor, and tabcom.  

The voice of my wife was echoing in my head before the auction began. 'We just bought a house last week and you are going to an auction?'

When I got home and showed her what I won, what did she say, 'Why didn't you buy more.' :frustrated: 

No complaints, happy with the whole experience. 

Edited by tabcom

Wow, just wow! Just look at those glossy beauties being tossed on that piece of plywood like steaks on a grill. And the hungry dogs drooling for the meat. A nice Tales of Terror Annual just tossed on the table like any other book blew my mind. That guy in the white sweat shirt looked like stiff competition. Actually, looked like pretty good deals on those. PCH in that kind of shape outside of a couple pedigrees just rarely turns up. Thanks for the video and shot of the house as well.

Congrats on your load. That Thing is a beauty and getting a copy of Daring Love that nice is near impossible. Hopefully, there was "No love for love books" when you were bidding...

13 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Incredible raw vintage comics. Tales of Terror EC annual(?),  Terror Tales, Witchcraft #5 (?) classic painted cover, etc. Seemed to be at least 3 hard core and moneyed :o comics bidders in that room for the estate sale.

Congratulations, gives the rest of us hope!  Couldn't really tell from the video if there were multiple winners of the auctions?  

6 hours ago, tabcom said:

The voice of my wife was echoing in my head before the auction began. 'We just bought a house last week and you are going to an auction?'

When I got home and showed her what I won, what did she say, 'Why didn't you buy more.' :frustrated: 

No complaints, happy with the whole experience. 

Such an interesting dynamic at an auction like this.  With knowledgeable bidders it seems it could go one of two ways.  Either one guy tries to buy everything and items go for near value or you let the others get a taste and everyone walks away with a good deal.  Think I'd be the pig.  Lol. 

2 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Congratulations, gives the rest of us hope!  Couldn't really tell from the video if there were multiple winners of the auctions?  

Such an interesting dynamic at an auction like this.  With knowledgeable bidders it seems it could go one of two ways.  Either one guy tries to buy everything and items go for near value or you let the others get a taste and everyone walks away with a good deal.  Think I'd be the pig.  Lol. 

With only basically three bidders and no internet action, deals can sometimes be had. It looks like the bidders got some real good deals if those books were as nice as they looked. 

One more thought.  I know from personal experience how demanding CGC can be in naming pedigree collections.  Usually the collection must have scope, depth and condition.  While this collection was only about a longbox  given its age and condition they might require fewer books to grant pedigree status?