• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures of Superman #500 Platinum Edition - Print Number?

15 posts in this topic

Adventures of Superman #500 Platinum Edition - Print Number?

Ok, this is something I've been wondering for a while and for the life of me can't find an official answer via google search. Does anyone know the number of issues that were printed for this particular issue?  I know the Platinum Edition for Superman 75 was 10,000 and the subsequent TPB Platinum Edition print run was 4,500, but have come up dry for an official number on Adventures of Superman #500.

For those who don't know, DC released limited Platinum Editions for both the "death" (Superman 75) and "return" (Adventures 500) of Superman.  1 of each were given to comic shops/dealers as a special incentive for selling said issues, and along with the variant covers/poly-bags lacked a bar code/price. 

Adventures-of-Superman-500_platinum-.jpg

Edited by Bibbo

I've been trying to track down these issues myself for a while. Not sure at all on print run but just judging the price folks are asking for them and the scarcity, I'd imagine relatively low print run on Adventures. 

I'd be surprised if it is less than 10,000.  Adventures of Superman #500 is basically the highest print run of all time.

(X-Men #1 had various covers, so you could say they are "different"... where the white bag Adv. of Superman #500 were all the same.)

Edited by valiantman

41 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I'd be surprised if it is less than 10,000.  Adventures of Superman #500 is basically the highest print run of all time.

(X-Men #1 had various covers, so you could say they are "different"... where the white bag Adv. of Superman #500 were all the same.)

What about the non-enhanced (and non-bagged) AoS 500?

But I would agree that it's not likely to be significantly different than Superman 75.

14 hours ago, valiantman said:

My recollection (strictly anecdotal) was that while Superman 75 was obviously a huge event, retailers were still not entirely prepared for just HOW big it ended up being, so when #500 came up, they overcompensated, big time. So my assumption would be that the 500's would outnumber the 75's considerably. But again, that's just my conjecture.

56 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

My recollection (strictly anecdotal) was that while Superman 75 was obviously a huge event, retailers were still not entirely prepared for just HOW big it ended up being, so when #500 came up, they overcompensated, big time. So my assumption would be that the 500's would outnumber the 75's considerably. But again, that's just my conjecture.

Having lived through it as well, I agree with your recollection.  In my experience, though, I see more platinum 75s than 500s.  I have no explanation for it, just my observations.  It could very well be that the plat 75 catches a -sellers- attention more than the 500. 

I will admit that my recollection of the Adventures of Superman #500 "white bag" was that it was the highest selling book in the highest selling year (1993), but it looks like it was actually 5th behind the 4 "return of the Supermen" die-cut books.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1993.html

Turok #1 (Valiant) being 6th on that list, even though Turok #1 is often complained about more than the first 5 books listed.

The Adventures of Superman #500 no-bag edition was 26th in sales for 1993.

So the consensus seems to be that AOS 500 Platinum Edition likely received a print count larger than 10K.  Still surprised there isn't an official number floating around out there.  Though, each Superman 75 Platinum Edition was numbered on the back, whereas 500 was not numbered at all. 

Edited by Bibbo

I got one from each of my LCS's at the time. So, two, and the stores only got one. Seems more like something that was one per store? Of course, there were a lot of stores back then....