• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better to sell a set or single issues?

15 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have a couple sets that i'm considering selling like Hulk 180, 181 & 182 as well as X-Men 101 - 104. I also have some less expensive sets all from the bronze era as well and Im wondering if people have had more success selling sets or individual issues and from a collector standpoint, would you rather buy single issues or sets? 

For your examples I would split them up since the number of people looking for just one issue is a lot higher then people that need the whole set and the price for all three (hulk 180-182) can be outside most people budget.  Now if you have X-Men 131 - 139 or Spiderman 201 - 209 I find the set does very well since the cost is fairly low and people do like buying sets of books if they want to start a collection.  Selling keys by themselves is usually best but then again you could get stuck with the undesirable issues.  Kind of hit or miss. 

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

For your examples I would split them up since the number of people looking for just one issue is a lot higher then people that need the whole set and the price for all three (hulk 180-182) can be outside most people budget.  Now if you have X-Men 131 - 139 or Spiderman 201 - 209 I find the set does very well since the cost is fairly low and people do like buying sets of books if they want to start a collection.  Selling keys by themselves is usually best but then again you could get stuck with the undesirable issues.  Kind of hit or miss. 

That totally makes sense. Thanks! 

5 hours ago, Nate mueller said:

Hey all,

I have a couple sets that i'm considering selling like Hulk 180, 181 & 182 as well as X-Men 101 - 104. I also have some less expensive sets all from the bronze era as well and Im wondering if people have had more success selling sets or individual issues and from a collector standpoint, would you rather buy single issues or sets? 

ALWAYS better to sell single issues . . . always.:sumo:

Not necessarily Bronze Age, but I recently sold two runs of titles that were roughly similar.  Deadpool (the Casey/McGuinness run) #1-26 and Harley Quinn (the Kesel/Dodson run) #1-26.  Both were in NM/M condition, original owner copies.  I sold the Deadpools as a lot, and broke up the HQ individually.  When all was said and done, I think I cleared about $50 on the HQ's, but it was also a lot more work.  The HQ's however, did sell quicker than the DP's.

Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but pretty comparable.  In hindsight, I'd probably sell the HQ's as a lot if I had to do it over again.

It depends. If you have a straight run then I think sets are better if they are issues that are not key or major series. For instance I think you would have better luck selling a set of HUMAN FLY #1-17 rather than selling each issue individually. However, if you had X-MEN #94-100 then it would be better to sell individually. Though I have seen large lots sell extremely well, especially if peppered with some key issues.

On 5/24/2017 at 7:53 AM, tomo said:

Not necessarily Bronze Age, but I recently sold two runs of titles that were roughly similar.  Deadpool (the Casey/McGuinness run) #1-26 and Harley Quinn (the Kesel/Dodson run) #1-26.  Both were in NM/M condition, original owner copies.  I sold the Deadpools as a lot, and broke up the HQ individually.  When all was said and done, I think I cleared about $50 on the HQ's, but it was also a lot more work.  The HQ's however, did sell quicker than the DP's.

Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but pretty comparable.  In hindsight, I'd probably sell the HQ's as a lot if I had to do it over again.

But we're talking about REAL books . . . :baiting:

4 hours ago, divad said:

But we're talking about REAL books . . . :baiting:

Yeah, but selling those allowed me to buy some of these REAL books, so I guess that makes it all right?

On 5/24/2017 at 7:53 AM, tomo said:

You only cleared $50 on the Harley Quinn 1-26 nm/m? Shoot issue 1 is a $75-$100 book by itself.

44 minutes ago, Comicdave said:

You only cleared $50 on the Harley Quinn 1-26 nm/m? Shoot issue 1 is a $75-$100 book by itself.

That should've read "fifty dollars more."  And I did end up getting close to $100 for my #1.

Edited by tomo