• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Observations after a prolonged absence.
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Observations after a prolonged absence.

1. Wow, the boards look different.  Will take some getting used to but I see positive things from it. 

2. I found out what happened to Nik.  :sorry: I was in mourning last night having just told my girlfriend a few days ago why I refuse to sell a "crappy" book I sent to him for slabbing in jest for a grading contest here years ago.  My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.  He affected us all in many good ways.  Solid character which I know the world misses.

3. Glad to see comic collecting is still going strong.  I really haven't been pleased with how Marvel (and to a bit lesser extent, DC) have been feeling anti-consumer with pricing, variants and re-booting but I guess I am not really their target demographic anymore somehow.  What really bugs me is that they do almost nothing to make this much more kid-accessible price-point and story-wise.  There is currently no real or sustainable way to grow the market with the younger generations through their philosophy.  So who are they trying to keep or grab, if loyal readers like me get dumped along the way?  I was reading since the late '70s!  Why do I single out Marvel a bit more?  One name:  Joe Quesada.  Forget David Gabriel.  Joe has really done a lot of damage with his behind the scenes work.  The quality of consistent storytelling has seriously dropped off a cliff under his watch.  I feel the ship is getting out of control.

4. On the other hand the movies are pretty good.  The quality across the board has been rising, even the DC ones (except for Suicide Squad - a real stinker aside from Margot Robbie stealing the show).  Hopefully the bar will continue to get raised and we keep having more fun going to the theaters.

5. I see I don't recognize a lot of posters here.  It's been a while since I last lurked or posted here.  I don't seem to have enough free time for everything anymore.  I need to finish school so I can pretend to work while I browse the boards.  I would like a time machine or at least a remote that stops time.  Thank you in advance if you get me one.

6. Cameos are the first appearances, screw you guys.  :smile:  Now I hear about flashbacks not counting.  C'mon.  First appearance is about timing.  Argue all about what context it is in, but the first time someone appears, no matter what role it plays in the story, that's the first time a reader acknowledges the presence of said person/entity/amoeba.  This needs to be uniform all across the board, too.  Hulk #180 - first appearance.  Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 - first appearance.  Stop the madness!

7. JoeyP is still the man.

8. I'm hungry now.  Are there any cookies in the back or do I have to go to In-and-Out to get something to eat?  I know you don't have those in Florida.  Which is a good reason why I moved.  Humidity, screwballs and lack of In-and-Out?  Nuh uh!

Welcome back! Not that we know eachother, but welcome none the less!

3. I concur that the big 2 are publishing junk these days. I've been off them for about 5 years now. Hoping to come back at some point and find that the Marvel line is great again like I did back in 2007. Then again I liked the first few months of the New 52.

6. I agree that cameos are first appearances. But if I have to choose which one to own, I want the first FULL appearance.

8. I moved from a state that had Whataburger and Jack in the Box, to one that had neither. I don't know what I was thinking.

38 minutes ago, General Zod said:

6. Cameos are the first appearances, screw you guys.  :smile: 

Yes, a first appearance is a first appearance, no matter how brief.

Plus, there seems to be a bigger push recently to acknowledge brief appearances and even ads as more important. :screwy:

40 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Now I hear about flashbacks not counting.

(shrug)

C'mon.  First appearance is about timing.  Argue all about what context it is in, but the first time someone appears, no matter what role it plays in the story, that's the first time a reader acknowledges the presence of said person/entity/amoeba.

So?

This needs to be uniform all across the board, too. 

It can't be, simply because appearances are not all equal, first or not. Many characters first appeared as the focus of a story. Many characters first appeared on one page as a teaser for a future issue, most often on the last page of the story.

If you're talking about prices, it's still all about supply and demand. A first appearance is only one factor affecting only demand.

Hulk #180 - first appearance.  Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 - first appearance.  Stop the madness!

What madness? Is it mad to actually read comics and to want to see a character be relevant to the story?

2 hours ago, ParamagicFF said:

Welcome back! Not that we know eachother, but welcome none the less!

3. I concur that the big 2 are publishing junk these days. I've been off them for about 5 years now. Hoping to come back at some point and find that the Marvel line is great again like I did back in 2007. Then again I liked the first few months of the New 52.

6. I agree that cameos are first appearances. But if I have to choose which one to own, I want the first FULL appearance.

8. I moved from a state that had Whataburger and Jack in the Box, to one that had neither. I don't know what I was thinking.

Thank you! :grin:

Arizona also has those.  The big 3, plus many other good places.  Even Sonic's.

Lazyboy,

I am struggling so hard to get your post accurately quoted and giving up for now.  But:

1) I agree, ads aren't part of storylines and not really appearances.  As for the flashback reference, people are now saying Domino in NM#98 isn't her first appearance because later it's revealed it was a shapeshifter or some other garbage and she "appears" for the first time in a flashback.  Or something like that.  I feel like I dropped acid just trying to make sense of what people have said about it.  This doesn't need to be rocket science. 

2) With all the one-shot type stories out there and some retcon-hopping out there, it's only going to get harder to keep up with (remember "One More Day"? Ugh) "is so-and-so really that person?"  We're getting shape-shifters and copycat vigilantes.  If some writer gets the hair-brained idea to turn Clark Kent into an impostor from day one and insist the new one is the true Superman today, we are going to have problems keeping the sanctity of what constitutes a first appearance even further.

3) I need an energy drink. My ADHD is getting worse these days and I had to re-write my response three times to get my point across.  Clearly, I hope.  Cheers.

15 hours ago, General Zod said:

Lazyboy,

I am struggling so hard to get your post accurately quoted and giving up for now.  But:

1) I agree, ads aren't part of storylines and not really appearances.  As for the flashback reference, people are now saying Domino in NM#98 isn't her first appearance because later it's revealed it was a shapeshifter or some other garbage and she "appears" for the first time in a flashback.  Or something like that.  I feel like I dropped acid just trying to make sense of what people have said about it.  This doesn't need to be rocket science. 

2) With all the one-shot type stories out there and some retcon-hopping out there, it's only going to get harder to keep up with (remember "One More Day"? Ugh) "is so-and-so really that person?"  We're getting shape-shifters and copycat vigilantes.  If some writer gets the hair-brained idea to turn Clark Kent into an impostor from day one and insist the new one is the true Superman today, we are going to have problems keeping the sanctity of what constitutes a first appearance even further.

3) I need an energy drink. My ADHD is getting worse these days and I had to re-write my response three times to get my point across.  Clearly, I hope.  Cheers.

Do collectors delegitimize Atlas's 1950's appearances of Captain America since it was determined to be an imposter in the 70's CA 154 story arc? At the time it was written as Cap stories Commie Smasher until Marvel decided to squeeze it into their present universe.

On a somewhat related note I don't think Strange Tales 114 gets the cred it deserves - 1st silver Cap and a cooler cover

Welcome back, Zod.  Here's a fun argument that came up recently...

When do we celebrate birthdays?

Hulk #180 is like a birth occurring just before midnight, and Hulk #181 is the first full day after.

Which one is the "true" birthday? 

:grin:

8 minutes ago, slym2none said:

If the baby came out before midnight Thursday, then Wednesday is his birthday. No matter what.

-slym

Yes, but so what? Real life is not fiction, even if it may sometimes be stranger than fiction.

On 2017-05-23 at 8:29 PM, General Zod said:

I am struggling so hard to get your post accurately quoted and giving up for now. 

Left click / highlight and then just quote what you've highlighted.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Welcome back, Zod.  Here's a fun argument that came up recently...

When do we celebrate birthdays?

Hulk #180 is like a birth occurring just before midnight, and Hulk #181 is the first full day after.

Which one is the "true" birthday? 

:grin:

Is this a trick question?  lol

16 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

the inmates have overrun the asylum @jsilverjanet

I'm not locked up in here with you-you're locked up in here with me!

On 5/24/2017 at 7:06 AM, 1Cool said:

Not sure if we kneel now or would later be better?

Whenever the mood strikes you.  I don't plan to whip you into obedience right now. :smile:  I did get saluted at the Phoenix Comicon tonight, so I am satiated for now.