• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about OA Conservation/restoration

3 posts in this topic

I recently visited a local art dealer, about a  custom framing for one of my pieces using archival materials, museum glass etc. During our conversation the owner and I began talking about art restoration and preservation. The catalyst was that they would get art pieces sent to them for re-framing from all over the country, that were mounted using poor materials, etc.

I had a rather old OA piece that has some yellowing glue on it that I showed him via my phone. He said they had the ability to remove that kind of thing, and would document it. 

My question is whether doing that kind of archival restoration or preservation on OA has any impact on its value, if you document what was done? I would rate reproducing word balloons, for example, as something that reduces the value. But, what about reoving foxing, or yellowed paint? Or, remounting original word balloons with archival safe adhesives?

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 5/24/2017 at 10:55 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I recently visited a local art dealer, about a  custom framing for one of my pieces using archival materials, museum glass etc. During our conversation the owner and I began talking about art restoration and preservation. The catalyst was that they would get art pieces sent to them for re-framing from all over the country, that were mounted using poor materials, etc.

I had a rather old OA piece that has some yellowing glue on it that I showed him via my phone. He said they had the ability to remove that kind of thing, and would document it. 

My question is whether doing that kind of archival restoration or preservation on OA has any impact on its value, if you document what was done? I would rate reproducing word balloons, for example, as something that reduces the value. But, what about reoving foxing, or yellowed paint? Or, remounting original word balloons with archival safe adhesives?

A professional restoration will generally improve its value over an unrestored piece which needed help. This is also to personal taste, which varies. I, for example, would not object to a replacement word balloon because, to me, it was intended to be part of the published work. But, I would not want a minor restoration performed unless I knew its current condition was an early step in further serious deterioration. Again, opinions vary.

Edited by Rick2you2