• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you buy it?

12 posts in this topic

Would you buy it?

I like looking through Craigslist and other online sites like it to see if any comics come up for sale. Most of the time its recent stuff but every now and then this comes up.

Would you buy this comic at $5000? What is max you would pay?

00J0J_b3U8zZwUxPK_600x450.jpg

Edited by Dogsupreme

I'd buy it, but only in person. $5000 is only about $1000 under GPA, so with fees, etc it seems possibly legit.  I got a IH 181 9.6, MSL 5 9.4 x 2, etc off kijiji (Canadian equivalent to Craigslist) at well below FMV.

Edited by Tbone911t

18 hours ago, CashMoney said:

To make a long story short, to protect myself (and prove what was actually delivered - e.g., whether an empty box, etc), I recorded via my cell phone me receiving the box from the overnight delivery person, and opening it.  The package contained a busted open CGC case, which was crazy-glued together, and a poorly xeroxed copy of: (i) a GCC 6.0 label, and (ii) a Hulk #1 cover.  In conclusion, my dreams were dashed, I lost $200, and I wasted 2 weeks of my time exchanging texts and chasing something I knew was too good to be true -- just because I wanted to believe (like the X-Files!).  Bottom line -- stay away from CL comic scams.  

Please post your $200 Xeroxed Hulk 1 cover, we'd love to see it.

I think it's good to post these "lessons learned" even though they're embarrassing.  We've got to keep looking out for each other.  Hopefully some good Karma will come your way on your next big comic purchase.

Edited by gadzukes

I experienced this last night with a person from New York Craiglist selling an Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 3.5 for $3500.00. Naturally it seemed fishy but I had to investigate and see if it was legit. We texted back and forth and I said I would only buy the comic in person. He said he was out of town for his cousins graduation and would I like to set up a shipping method. Red Flag right there. I did some more digging and found that the images from his Craiglist listing were swiped from the last AF #15 CGC 3.5 that sold on ebay for around 14K. So that substantiated everything at that point. Always comes back to if its too good to be true it is lol.

Here is the scam artists listing:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bks/6142982389.html

And here is the ebay listing he swiped the pictures from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-Aug-1962-Marvel-CGC-3-5-/142284885590?hash=item2120d70e56:g:W2kAAOSwnDxUpbjc

The cert #'s are the same on both listings

On 5/24/2017 at 3:40 PM, Tbone911t said:

I'd buy it, but only in person. $5000 is only about $1000 under GPA, so with fees, etc it seems possibly legit.  I got a IH 181 9.6, MSL 5 9.4 x 2, etc off kijiji (Canadian equivalent to Craigslist) at well below FMV.

Cool books....:baiting:

My advice stick with people you know. Make good relationships with board members, and only deal with them. I personally have never been scammed with board members, not ever. I stay away from just about everywhere else, no Craigslist,no nothing. I have used eBay,but only with MyComicShop. Who by the way is a board member.2c

On 5/24/2017 at 1:55 PM, CashMoney said:

Word of advice.  Stay away from Craigslist ads that look too good to be true.  I , unfortunately, know this from first-hand experience, which I am sharing here for the edification of each member.

Here's the story.  A few months ago, I saw a Hulk #1 CGC 6.0 for sale on the New York section of Craisglist for $9,000.  I called the guy (who was located in Texas - and posting in NY) to : (1) ask him where he obtained the comic (i.e., purportedly, his grandfather left it to him), and (2) negotiate the price.  I should have known that any fool could sell it on eBay for no reserve and obtain twice as much for the comic, but that little mini-me on my shoulder kept whispering in my ear: "this is it -- I am getting a Mile High deal of a lifetime here that nobody else knows about."

I worked him down to $5,000, and thought I just got the deal of a lifetime.  Of course, he initially asked me to pay him upfront via Google Wallet.  And of course, though I 'm a dreamer, I am only half a fool, so I said "no way", you need to send me the comic first, and then I'll pay you.  When he agreed, I thought, this is a risk free proposition for me, so I have to do this.  

Thereafter, as he stalled sending it for a couple of days, he kept emphasizing how broke he is, and how he needs money for rent, his kid's birthday present, etc.  -- the whole time playing on both my empathy and my emotional attachment to that comic (yes, I am a loser).   I ended up sending him $200 for the postage, because: (a) putting up $200 with the expectation of receiving a $15,000 comic was a gamble I was willing to take, and (b) he was broke, but I wanted the comic fully insured for $10,000.  

To make a long story short, to protect myself (and prove what was actually delivered - e.g., whether an empty box, etc), I recorded via my cell phone me receiving the box from the overnight delivery person, and opening it.  The package contained a busted open CGC case, which was crazy-glued together, and a poorly xeroxed copy of: (i) a GCC 6.0 label, and (ii) a Hulk #1 cover.  In conclusion, my dreams were dashed, I lost $200, and I wasted 2 weeks of my time exchanging texts and chasing something I knew was too good to be true -- just because I wanted to believe (like the X-Files!).  Bottom line -- stay away from CL comic scams.  

To be clear, a Hulk 1 cgc 6.0 at $9K is already a steal. So the fact he would come down on that is hilarious. A 6.0 is like a $30K book, not $15K.

On May 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM, Tbone911t said:

Same here, but only in a very public place. Meeting up with strangers while carrying wads of cash merits levels of caution.