• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should signatures command a higher premium based on date?

11 posts in this topic

Example: should super early (70s) stan lee sigs be of more value than current ones?

Or sigs that were taken on creator's birthday or close to his/her unfortunate demise etc...

Good question, but I don't think so.  

A signature is a signature.  Does an early Babe Ruth on a baseball command more than a retired Babe Ruth signature on a baseball?  

I think the quality of the signature and the item it is on is what factors in the desirable rate.  Like a New Mutants 98 that Stan worked on in 1971, he was a writing machine on that one :baiting:

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Example: should super early (70s) stan lee sigs be of more value than current ones?

Or sigs that were taken on creator's birthday or close to his/her unfortunate demise etc...

I'd say no.

-slym

On 5/24/2017 at 5:18 PM, Mercury Man said:

A signature is a signature.  Does an early Babe Ruth on a baseball command more than a retired Babe Ruth signature on a baseball?  

Yes, actually.  Babe Ruth signatures which can be associated with particular dates/teams/championships are worth more than something he signed when he was retired.

On May 24, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Overall I’d say no, but in the case of Stan I could see where somebody might be willing to pay a bit more for a sig that looks like this, as opposed to the sometimes blobby, modern style made with a Sharpie.

ASM8.jpg~original

In some cases, earlier signatures do command a premium.  A period minor league autograph sells for more than a later major league one for many stars. Roberto Alamar signed his name Bobby in the minors. Those signatures are much rarer than the tens of thousands he signed in the bigs. Mattingly used to sign as Donny until 1983/84. I own several TNMT #3s signed and dated by Eastman and Laird, when they were at a convention pushing the book. I'd charge more for them than just a normal #3 that I had signed today.

On the Spidey book, it always bothered me that  Romita couldn't bother writing out 1,000. It must have saved him five minutes, at most.

I remember when Jose Canseco decided signing his name JC would let him sign more per hour.  Promoters put a stop to that thankfully.

34 minutes ago, shadroch said:

On the Spidey book, it always bothered me that  Romita couldn't bother writing out 1,000. It must have saved him five minutes, at most

It bothers me more thinking that Stan probably delegated that task to him lol