• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House of Secrets 92 too hot to handle
5 5

287 posts in this topic

Ive always been a Swamp Thing fan.  I loved the movie as a kid (didnt see what A Barbeau did for swampy and frankly still dont) and listened to the record and book set (even though the dead clown story was weird to me as a kid). 

So naturally, Its time to add a House of Secrets 92 to the collection.  Holy Carp!  Prices are crazy!  The comparable grades per price are about EVEN with hulk 181.  Now to me, thats waaaayyy out of whack. 

Whats the catalyst? 

2 hours ago, Bobbyusc said:

Ive always been a Swamp Thing fan.  I loved the movie as a kid (didnt see what A Barbeau did for swampy and frankly still dont) and listened to the record and book set (even though the dead clown story was weird to me as a kid). 

So naturally, Its time to add a House of Secrets 92 to the collection.  Holy Carp!  Prices are crazy!  The comparable grades per price are about EVEN with hulk 181.  Now to me, thats waaaayyy out of whack. 

Whats the catalyst? 

I think that book and record set with the dead clown was Man-Thing. His 1st appearance is a heck of a lot cheaper than Swamp-thing.

1 hour ago, boomtown said:

I think that book and record set with the dead clown was Man-Thing. His 1st appearance is a heck of a lot cheaper than Swamp-thing.

Lol, you are right!!  I still have it in the basement somewhere.  It was the least favorite story of the records.  Such a weird story for a young kid

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Very hot book.  Great black cover and origin.

I've been on a quest to find a raw 9.6ish grade for years. I've only come up with two raw 9.4's a graded 9.2(in my sigline). A 9.0\ 9.2 raw. Just a tough book in the Uber high grades.

I think it has the same thing going for it as Batman 227, Amazing Spiderman 28, and Journey into Mystery 89, but to even a much larger extent.  All four books are gorgeous in a very delicate way that makes having a high grade essential for their beauty to really shine.    

Edited by Von Cichlid
Batman, not Detective Comics

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

This book has always been expensive and no one has ever been able to say 100% why.  

My gut says it's a great cover, a quirky character and a helluva artist.  That's all.  

All that, plus just not as common as other Bronze Age keys. Don't get me wrong, compared to lots of even the most unloved Golden Age, it's common of course. But as the bronze keys go, it's fewer than most and one of the toughest in top grade.

If Hulk 181 is the AF #15 of bronze, I think of it as the TTA #27 of Bronze.

When I was working at a comic shop about 20 years ago, we had two copies come into the store. I instantly fell in love with the cover, and ended up putting it on layaway and making payments on it so it would be mine.  I got it graded years later, and ended up selling, and that may still be my single greatest comic selling regret, as I've not been able to find a nicer copy anywhere near the same price. Now it's probably out of my price range for a super nice copy. I'm assuming the ramp up in pricing is related to the Justice League Dark movie (which as of this week is suddenly without a director), but it could also just be a general interest in picking up those second tier bronze keys. It's a beautiful cover, it's Wrightson, it's a first appearance of a character who has been in films, cartoons, toy lines, etc. If anything, it was probably undervalued for a long time.

Don't know what the surprise is.  This book has always been unusually expensive and popular even back in the early '80s when I first left the hobby.  It's one of those blue chip books that everyone holds onto whenever the industry or hobby takes a dip.

9 hours ago, Bronx said:

This book has always been expensive and no one has ever been able to say 100% why.  

My gut says it's a great cover, a quirky character and a helluva artist.  That's all.  

It's the first appearance of Swamp Thing. It's undervalued.

12 hours ago, Bronx said:

That's all??? lol

The way that even extremely minor first appearances have been speculated upon, it's hardly surprising this issue has risen so much, especially with its cool, tough in high grade, black cover as well. Pretty much inevitable.

Not bad for a prototype issue that later got retconned by Alan Moore.

Edited by Ken Aldred

7 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

It's the first appearance of Swamp Thing. It's undervalued.

Swamp Thing is an interesting character but he's no money maker.  It's all about Berni's great art and a classic scary cover.  Few covers come close to the look you feel after watching it.  How can you define a 1950's style piece art that makes you feel like you're watching a Horror flick from the safety of a drive in theatre.    

13 hours ago, Bronx said:

Swamp Thing is an interesting character but he's no money maker.  It's all about Berni's great art and a classic scary cover.  Few covers come close to the look you feel after watching it.  How can you define a 1950's style piece art that makes you feel like you're watching a Horror flick from the safety of a drive in theatre.    

Well, like I said above, he's had two movies, an animated series, a truckload of toys, at least four comic book series, and a spot in an upcoming big film as well. I'd say he's made more than his fair share of money. 

So, for me, it's the character, but it's also that amazing cover, in a perfect marriage, that make it such a great book.

Damn I really need to get another one.

48 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Well, like I said above, he's had two movies, an animated series, a truckload of toys, at least four comic book series, and a spot in an upcoming big film as well. I'd say he's made more than his fair share of money. 

So, for me, it's the character, but it's also that amazing cover, in a perfect marriage, that make it such a great book.

Damn I really need to get another one.

Agree. Swampy was very popular in movies, tv and toys for a while. People tend to forget as time goes by. I'd love to see a new or reboot ST movie come out done as a straight up horror movie! Distance itself from the sci-fi/super hero elements and give us evil Arcane up from Hell with an army of un-men. Throw in Etrigan and I'm there in the theater watching this! (thumbsu

Edited by Jayman