• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House of Secrets 92 too hot to handle
5 5

287 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Considering most graded copies are cr/ow page quality and the covers are usually smashed, I'd say you did well! Maybe you will share some scans someday.

Here's my best graded, and best raw copies.

houseofsecrets92.jpg

Scan10062-1.jpg

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Here's my best graded, and best raw copies.

houseofsecrets92.jpg

Scan10062-1.jpg

Awesome books. I always meant to get this one eventually, but I guess I've missed the boat a long time ago. 

On 10/17/2017 at 11:28 PM, scooter99 said:

I did my daily perusal of books on dealers websites.  Dale Roberts 9.0 ow/w copy is pending.  He had it listed for a dollar under 3K.  Not sure if he got full price, but it wouldn't surprise me.  En fuego!

That’s good to know. I have a 9.0 copy on ebay for less, with no movement. 

Was at a local show today, Saw a HOS's 92 graded "by that other company" as a 9.2 OW/W, Book was stunning and perfectly centered. I asked "How much is this"? He said "$4500" Finding a lot of raw books even at local shows are over graded and overpriced.   

1 hour ago, SteveMullins said:

Somewhat off topic, but related...how did they explain the different origin story from HOS 92 with the Alan Moore version?  Someone mentioned Moore somehow tied them together?

From wiki:

The creature, called Swamp Thing, was originally conceived as Alec Holland mutating into a vegetable-like creature, a "muck-encrusted mockery of a man". However, under writer Alan Moore, Swamp Thing was reinvented as an elemental entity created upon the death of Alec Holland, having somehow absorbed Holland's memory and personality into itself. He is described as "a plant that thought it was Alec Holland, a plant that was trying its level best to be Alec Holland"[6] with the result that he suffered a temporary identity crisis as he tried to surrender to his plant side after the discovery that he could never be human 'again'

24 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

From wiki:

The creature, called Swamp Thing, was originally conceived as Alec Holland mutating into a vegetable-like creature, a "muck-encrusted mockery of a man". However, under writer Alan Moore, Swamp Thing was reinvented as an elemental entity created upon the death of Alec Holland, having somehow absorbed Holland's memory and personality into itself. He is described as "a plant that thought it was Alec Holland, a plant that was trying its level best to be Alec Holland"[6] with the result that he suffered a temporary identity crisis as he tried to surrender to his plant side after the discovery that he could never be human 'again'

After reading the above, that sounds very familiar...I must have read some of those stories way back when.  In HOS 92 vs the Swamp Thing series...didn't they change the character's name or origin in some way?  Or am I thinking of Man Thing here?  I'm just trying to recall if the HOS 92 story segued right into Swamp Thing #1?  Time to buy some old Swamp Thing books, and get caught up!

The HOS stories did segue into Swamp Thing (Wrightson).   In the early 80's a new series came out, Saga of the Swamp Thing.   Character was the "same" as the HOS/Wrightson character.  Alan Moore came on in issue 20 and wrapped that stuff up.  Issue 21, "The Anatomy Lesson" is where he ret-conned the character and incorporated the earth elemental stuff into it.  

On 9/19/2017 at 6:07 PM, Randall Ries said:

Here is one that Metro is selling. $1600.00. Beyond the corner fold, it looks 9.0 or better. I called about the line going horizontally across the front. Thought it was a scanner error. Not. It's a printing error. Never seen that on another copy.

hou2.1891a.jpg

My personal copy has the same flaw, other than the one posted above, i have never seen that on another copy.

23658927_10210276695900957_908350823559876261_n.jpg

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

The HOS stories did segue into Swamp Thing (Wrightson).   In the early 80's a new series came out, Saga of the Swamp Thing.   Character was the "same" as the HOS/Wrightson character.  Alan Moore came on in issue 20 and wrapped that stuff up.  Issue 21, "The Anatomy Lesson" is where he ret-conned the character and incorporated the earth elemental stuff into it.  

No. Swamp Thing 1 essentially rebooted it. There were differences. It's been a long time, so I don't remember all of it. I think ST 1 was contemporary, while HOS 92 might've been set in the past. Different bad guys with different motives, too, IIRC. Though I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

No. Swamp Thing 1 essentially rebooted it. There were differences. It's been a long time, so I don't remember all of it. I think ST 1 was contemporary, while HOS 92 might've been set in the past. Different bad guys with different motives, too, IIRC. Though I could be wrong.

HOS Swamp Thing was an elemental. ST #1 was Alec Holland. SOTST #20 and #21 explains that NO. ST was NEVER Alec Holland. He is a plant who only THOUGHT he was Alec Holland. Later in the series, it's explained there have been many Swamp Things. They are known as Elementals. Like the one in HOS #92. The earth has always needed Elementals.

The HOS Swamp Thing was Alec Olsen. A one shot story for a concept that Wrightson was thinking about. The second Swamp thing series touched on the Alec Olsen character in one of the later issues as a previous incarnation of the elemental Swamp thing right before the Alec Holland version IIRC. That story tied in the HOS 92 tale into continuity.

It's mind boggling the kind of money this book seems to require. I bought an 8.0 WP at the Stan Lee con in Los Angeles in 10/2016 for 800$ cash. 

When it comes to the investment side of the hobby, this is probably the one and only purchase I've made where I came out ahead.  

Its a great cover for an origin/first apperence of a great character, however, I'm curious what's driving this crazy money.  

What am I missing?

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

It's mind boggling the kind of money this book seems to require. I bought an 8.0 WP at the Stan Lee con in Los Angeles in 10/2016 for 800$ cash. 

When it comes to the investment side of the hobby, this is probably the one and only purchase I've made where I came out ahead.  

Its a great cover for an origin/first apperence of a great character, however, I'm curious what's driving this crazy money.  

What am I missing?

You crack the code to what drives the herd-mind, aka 'mania,' and you'd do very well picking momentum stocks.

images.jpg.cd1f92f2b7e6825cd788d02c69b5ff59.jpg