• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House of Secrets 92 too hot to handle
5 5

287 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Like I said, it looks a lot better in person.  I was actually thinking 7.0...hm

I was too, at 7.0, it looks like good color and supple pages... :)

On 1/2/2018 at 5:38 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Alright...don't laugh. :taptaptap: I've had this book since 1972...I have no idea what to call the grade, but it does look better in hand than in the scan.  You probably don't want to know what I paid for it...

36832545025_878fd63594_c.jpg

Beautiful colors on your copy. Great job in keeping it so well preserved. (thumbsu

On 2/24/2018 at 11:58 PM, scooter99 said:

That price also includes the ridiculous buyer premium, so take off about 20% from the $4,780 for a sense of the real market value of $3,825.

7 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

That price also includes the ridiculous buyer premium, so take off about 20% from the $4,780 for a sense of the real market value of $3,825.

Not really...that's what someone was willing to pay to get the book. Only a fool wouldn't factor in HA's buyer premium...

27 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Not really...that's what someone was willing to pay to get the book. Only a fool wouldn't factor in HA's buyer premium...

Then maybe he is a fool as he paid way over any previous price to get it because of the buyer premium.  

1 minute ago, Red_Hood said:

Then maybe he is a fool as he paid way over any previous price to get it because of the buyer premium.  

The book is red hot.  The 9.8 on Comiclink sold for 45K yesterday.  That's 21K more than the last gpa sale from 2015. 

1 hour ago, scooter99 said:

The book is red hot.  The 9.8 on Comiclink sold for 45K yesterday.  That's 21K more than the last gpa sale from 2015. 

There's no doubt that this book is red hot!  I'm ok with prices soaring and new records being set.  

I'm not ok with auction houses that charge nose-bleed buyer premiums.  

Wow. A 9.8 HOS #92 is over 2x the cost of a 9.8 IH #181 now. While I can understand the scarcity factor and love Wrightson's artwork, it amazes me at how far this book has run up for featuring a second or third tier character's first appearance.

Edited by kimik

On 3/8/2018 at 3:24 PM, Red_Hood said:

There's no doubt that this book is red hot!  I'm ok with prices soaring and new records being set.  

I'm not ok with auction houses that charge nose-bleed buyer premiums.  

Buyer's Premium tangent: Additionally, the seller sees none of that BP cash. The sellers gets the base price, minus an additional commission, of course.

On 3/12/2018 at 12:36 PM, kimik said:

Wow. A 9.8 HOS #92 is over 2x the cost of a 9.8 IH #181 now. While I can understand the scarcity factor and love Wrightson's artwork, it amazes me at how far this book has run up for featuring a second or third tier character's first appearance.

Horror comics are less about character popularity and more about striking visuals --  especially iconic covers. HOS 92 has that in spades.

I guess I never posted my new copy over here. HOS 92 was one of the first "major" comic purchases I ever made. Back when I was working at my LCS, around 1996, I was 19 years old, and our shop got two copies in, one about GD, and the other around VF. The VF copy was about $175, which may as well have been $17,500 for me at that time, just being right out of school. So I put it on "layaway" and made payments, and finally brought it home. I adored that book. A few years later, I sold it off when I had to get rid of all of my books (looong story) and that one always hurt my heart a bit.

So, I've been flirting with buying another copy for several years, but couldn't find one in the grade and price range that worked best for me. That is, until Lexington Toy & Comic Con last month! I won't say what I pay, except suffice to say it was under current market value, but considerably more than the $175 I paid 22 years ago. But this one is a keeper for me! Not perfect, but right in my wheelhouse.

Photo Mar 11, 7 19 00 PM.jpg

On 2/25/2018 at 5:46 PM, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I just sold my 9.0 on eBay last night for 3k. I think I’m going to regret it long term. I’ll try and get a raw f/vf raw for my collection. 

If you want some advice I have learned the hard way, never sell a key unless you have an undercopy. You always want to stay in the game. Get that raw copy soon before a raw 7.0 is selling for 3K (just joking of course).