• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House of Secrets 92 too hot to handle
5 5

287 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I did. I didn't WANT to, though. I think the prices are bloated and owners are getting on the greed train. Since I have a high grade run of ST 1-10, having HOS #92 makes it complete. I really wish I had kept my 9.0, but someone else is either enjoying it or HOSing (See where I went there?) another prospective buyer/collector. As i mentioned before, someone bought a 9.4 recently for $2k and is now asking $6k. That is greed in my book. I offered $3k and was turned down flat.

I remember that 9.4 sale on the Link.  It must have sold in less than 10 minutes.  I remember seeing it and emailing a friend to see if he had snagged it at that very attractive price.  3 grand is more in line with a 9.2 (or a very nice 8.5 old label) which just sold in CC's last auction.  

11 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Wow!  I actually made a good purchase finally. After 30 years out of the hobby got back in about a year ago.  Went to Stan lee 2016 comic con in Los Angeles and bought an 8.0 WP for $800.  

Maybe I could flip it now for 7 grand or something. 

I'll give you $850! LOL!

10 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

I remember that 9.4 sale on the Link.  It must have sold in less than 10 minutes.  I remember seeing it and emailing a friend to see if he had snagged it at that very attractive price.  3 grand is more in line with a 9.2 (or a very nice 8.5 old label) which just sold in CC's last auction.  

Well, prices started getting out of control after Wrightson inconsiderately passed away. Same with the higher grade ST issues. And now Len Wein is dead. My 7.5 should be worth a cool half mill by the end of the year.

12 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Well, prices started getting out of control after Wrightson inconsiderately passed away. Same with the higher grade ST issues. And now Len Wein is dead. My 7.5 should be worth a cool half mill by the end of the year.

(tsk)

33 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I kick myself for not picking up a copy in the past 8 years.  If I didn't bite the bullet a month ago, I'd never get a nice copy with the way it is moving up. 

56 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Wow!  I actually made a good purchase finally. After 30 years out of the hobby got back in about a year ago.  Went to Stan lee 2016 comic con in Los Angeles and bought an 8.0 WP for $800.  

Maybe I could flip it now for 7 grand or something. 

I am happy for you though either way, it's nice when your rewarded by things we love. Most of my books are long term for the PC, but I saw an HOS vg copy at Half Price Books 2 years ago for minimal $$ as I was just getting back to collecting, i didn't realize what it was. Went home to look it up, went back to purchase, and it was gone. So whatever you decide, I admire the info and inclination to pick it up in the first place. :shy:^^

2 hours ago, scooter99 said:

I kick myself for not picking up a copy in the past 8 years.  If I didn't bite the bullet a month ago, I'd never get a nice copy with the way it is moving up. 

I decided the same thing a year and half ago about AF15, and last month gave away my only copy of HOS92 as a prize in Andy's green eggs grading contest (missing half the splash page and major razor cut on a copy that otherwise looked VG+).  Fought the urge to give into the mania, and just switched hunt for any of several other things that don't present the same possible downside risk.  There's so much great stuff out ther, imo, could see splurging on a copy of Startling 49 or something with that kind of mad money, though my only GA is a few Planets atm.

1 hour ago, grebal said:

I decided the same thing a year and half ago about AF15, and last month gave away my only copy of HOS92 as a prize in Andy's green eggs grading contest (missing half the splash page and major razor cut on a copy that otherwise looked VG+).  Fought the urge to give into the mania, and just switched hunt for any of several other things that don't present the same possible downside risk.  There's so much great stuff out ther, imo, could see splurging on a copy of Startling 49 or something with that kind of mad money, though my only GA is a few Planets atm.

I hear you.  For the past 7 years I've concentrated on Adams books and a few PCH books.  I had a few of Wrightson's sweet covers from the Swamp Thing run, but never the "biggie".  If I didn't pounce on my perfect copy when it became available, I'd never get one. 

Right, Wrightson is awesome and I have all his early Marvel horror including where he drew himself into the book.  Maybe a 9.4+ Hulk 197 isn't insanely priced,  cool cover for Wrightson.  And I think I have all of Adams' marvel work and Bat 227 and the complete Deadman in SA, so I hear you on that too.  And my other dipping the toe into pre-silver age, in past year I picked up a sampling of what I think's included in PCH: Haunt Fear 16, Two Fisted 41 and (probably not) Weird Sci and Sci-Fi.

Edited by grebal

BINed a slabbed 9.0 off eBay six months ago for $650 less than a minute after it was listed. Stared at the price for 10 seconds and figured it was a scam, but bought it anyway. It showed up!

Not sure what the seller was thinking, but pretty easy to pick out my purchase on GPA.

gpa.jpg

Edited by october

1 hour ago, october said:

BINed a slabbed 9.0 off eBay six months ago for $650 less than a minute after it was listed. Stared at the price for 10 seconds and figured it was a scam, but bought it anyway. It showed up!

Not sure what the seller was thinking, but pretty easy to pick out my purchase on GPA.

gpa.jpg

^^

3 hours ago, october said:

gpa.jpg

(worship)  WOW!!!! Always a thrill to set GPA record lows with your purchases...sadly I've set more as a seller! :facepalm:

11 hours ago, october said:

gpa.jpg

Score. (worship)

21 hours ago, october said:

gpa.jpg

Nice to be the outlier on the right side of a transaction! lol