• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House of Secrets 92 too hot to handle
5 5

287 posts in this topic

On November 10, 2017 at 7:31 PM, bronze_rules said:

HOS.jpg.2242ab438c4f55a6374347c0478373d7.jpg

I will add that it is also included in the ( have I said most fantastic) Bernie Wrightson Artist Edition, out now.

Here's a snapshot (next to a copy i have of it).

As an aside, I love your sig line! It's one of the few pieces of OA where I've actually wondered on many an occasion whose hands it's in. Congrats on owning it. (worship)

45 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

As an aside, I love your sig line! It's one of the few pieces of OA where I've actually wondered on many an occasion whose hands it's in. Congrats on owning it. (worship)

Whoops, I didn't even know if anyone could see that anymore, or never heard anything about it. Sorry to let you down :blush: , but that is actually a reproduction I drew. I don't know where the original is either! I drew it using the newsstand cover as a reference.

Just now, bronze_rules said:

Whoops, I didn't even know if anyone could see that anymore, or never heard anything about it. Sorry to let you down :blush: , but that is actually a reproduction I drew. I don't know where the original is either! I drew it using the newsstand cover as a reference.

You're kidding! Well, that's a whole different kind of awesome!  (worship) It shows as a thumbnail and it sure fooled me without looking closely. Nicely done!

Apologies to all for the sidetrack.

The 9.4 on the Link closed for a staggering $8,200 last night.  Not perfectly centered, but even and really a nice looking book.  The 9.2 which didn't have a nice wrap went for under last gpa. 

Books are now being shaken out of collections with the large increase.  Comiclink already has another 9.4 lined up for February auction.  http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?id=1227198

On 11/20/2017 at 1:43 PM, SteveMullins said:

After reading the above, that sounds very familiar...I must have read some of those stories way back when.  In HOS 92 vs the Swamp Thing series...didn't they change the character's name or origin in some way?  Or am I thinking of Man Thing here?  I'm just trying to recall if the HOS 92 story segued right into Swamp Thing #1?  Time to buy some old Swamp Thing books, and get caught up!

On 11/20/2017 at 1:49 PM, chrisco37 said:

The HOS stories did segue into Swamp Thing (Wrightson).   In the early 80's a new series came out, Saga of the Swamp Thing.   Character was the "same" as the HOS/Wrightson character.  Alan Moore came on in issue 20 and wrapped that stuff up.  Issue 21, "The Anatomy Lesson" is where he ret-conned the character and incorporated the earth elemental stuff into it.  

On 11/20/2017 at 3:32 PM, JTLarsen said:

No. Swamp Thing 1 essentially rebooted it. There were differences. It's been a long time, so I don't remember all of it. I think ST 1 was contemporary, while HOS 92 might've been set in the past. Different bad guys with different motives, too, IIRC. Though I could be wrong.

I think you're the only one who wasn't wrong about anything.

On 11/20/2017 at 6:16 PM, Randall Ries said:

HOS Swamp Thing was an elemental. ST #1 was Alec Holland. SOTST #20 and #21 explains that NO. ST was NEVER Alec Holland. He is a plant who only THOUGHT he was Alec Holland. Later in the series, it's explained there have been many Swamp Things. They are known as Elementals. Like the one in HOS #92. The earth has always needed Elementals.

They were both retconned to be earth elementals. Neither was created as such.

On 11/20/2017 at 9:16 PM, Jayman said:

The HOS Swamp Thing was Alec Olsen. A one shot story for a concept that Wrightson was thinking about. The second Swamp thing series touched on the Alec Olsen character in one of the later issues as a previous incarnation of the elemental Swamp thing right before the Alec Holland version IIRC. That story tied in the HOS 92 tale into continuity.

hm Lots of half-remembered partial truths and other inaccuracies in the above posts.

Wein wrote the plot before finding Wrightson to illustrate the story.

HoS 92 was a sales success due to the 8-page story and DC wanted more. Wein and Wrightson didn't want to continue the story, which is why there was well over a year between that issue and Swamp Thing 1.

Swamp Thing wasn't officially connected to HoS 92 until Alan Moore made it so in Saga of the Swamp Thing 33. Obviously the general concept and creators were the same, but they intentionally made the character and stories different and separate.

The original (nameless) swamp monster was the apparently transformed Alex Olsen, returned after being murdered in a rigged lab explosion and buried in the swamp by his jealous best friend.

I got this one back from cgc a couple weeks ago. Ccs pressed it. I put it up on eBay for about a week then ended the listing. Just think I’m gonna regret selling it as I really dig bronze dc horror. I had sold a mid grade copy to a buddy and regretted that sale too! This book seems to be going no where but up so I think I’ll just keep in my collection. The reason I had listed in the first place was because I just bought a house and need a new fridge. I wil just have to figure out another way lol 

B7C22112-CB70-4EC5-BA9E-4AB58A63379C.jpeg

0AF8E964-5F70-486C-AAFF-9DEC41B2990B.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I got this one back from cgc a couple weeks ago. Ccs pressed it. I put it up on eBay for about a week then ended the listing. Just think I’m gonna regret selling it as I really dig bronze dc horror. I had sold a mid grade copy to a buddy and regretted that sale too! This book seems to be going no where but up so I think I’ll just keep in my collection. The reason I had listed in the first place was because I just bought a house and need a new fridge. I wil just have to figure out another way lol 

B7C22112-CB70-4EC5-BA9E-4AB58A63379C.jpeg

0AF8E964-5F70-486C-AAFF-9DEC41B2990B.jpeg

Nice copy...those corners!

On December 1, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Lazyboy said:

I think you're the only one who wasn't wrong about anything.

They were both retconned to be earth elementals. Neither was created as such.

hm Lots of half-remembered partial truths and other inaccuracies in the above posts.

Wein wrote the plot before finding Wrightson to illustrate the story.

HoS 92 was a sales success due to the 8-page story and DC wanted more. Wein and Wrightson didn't want to continue the story, which is why there was well over a year between that issue and Swamp Thing 1.

Swamp Thing wasn't officially connected to HoS 92 until Alan Moore made it so in Saga of the Swamp Thing 33. Obviously the general concept and creators were the same, but they intentionally made the character and stories different and separate.

The original (nameless) swamp monster was the apparently transformed Alex Olsen, returned after being murdered in a rigged lab explosion and buried in the swamp by his jealous best friend.

In between the two, in House of Mystery 195 (Oct 1971) there's a Wrightson-drawn (-script uncredited) story about "moss beings" who are "one with the land" turn a forest fire back on the man who set it in an effort to destroy the moss beings. Has a similar gothic setting/1800's feel to HOS 92 setting. It's fun to follow the threads of an idea through their development. I read the early part of Moore's run when I acquired a chunk, but I've never read the latter portions. Did he ever bring these buys back in some fashion?

22 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Alright...don't laugh. :taptaptap: I've had this book since 1972...I have no idea what to call the grade, but it does look better in hand than in the scan.  You probably don't want to know what I paid for it...

36832545025_878fd63594_c.jpg

I'll give ya 3 times what you paid.

7 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Plus shipping of course.

hm................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ lol

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Alright...don't laugh. :taptaptap: I've had this book since 1972...I have no idea what to call the grade, but it does look better in hand than in the scan.  You probably don't want to know what I paid for it...

36832545025_878fd63594_c.jpg

Fine + barring anything crazy on the back cover?