• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House of Secrets 92 too hot to handle
5 5

287 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, scooter99 said:

I think more beer drinking will help. 

It might. Also, people need to look around at the world in which they live and get a sense of humor. Just because something offends us doesn't mean we are right. Saying that Wrightson inconsiderately died is a tongue in cheek approach to the death of one of my favorite artists. And really, none of us knew him personally and so why behave like a close relative or friend was maligned? I'm offended on a daily basis. I don't refer to people who offend me as part of the lower GI tract. I may not like it, but I'm an adult and have learned to cope.

Well, my 7.5 HOS #92 came in and it is a nice copy. Just like the picture. Some teensie scuffing along the spine is what kept it down. It is a welcome part of my meager collection now.

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

It might. Also, people need to look around at the world in which they live and get a sense of humor. Just because something offends us doesn't mean we are right. Saying that Wrightson inconsiderately died is a tongue in cheek approach to the death of one of my favorite artists. And really, none of us knew him personally and so why behave like a close relative or friend was maligned? I'm offended on a daily basis. I don't refer to people who offend me as part of the lower GI tract. I may not like it, but I'm an adult and have learned to cope.

Well, my 7.5 HOS #92 came in and it is a nice copy. Just like the picture. Some teensie scuffing along the spine is what kept it down. It is a welcome part of my meager collection now.

My original (tsk) was for the fact that your comment didn't come off as "tongue in cheek". Hard to read into that in just text. However you have explained yourself and I understand. (thumbsu. Been meaning to ask what you traded your original 9.0 copy for?

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

My original (tsk) was for the fact that your comment didn't come off as "tongue in cheek". Hard to read into that in just text. However you have explained yourself and I understand. (thumbsu. Been meaning to ask what you traded your original 9.0 copy for?

Text certainly leaves something to be desired, doesn't it?

I traded my Batman #9 CGC 8.0 ow/w and HOS #92 CGC 9.0 OW for Superman #16 CGC 8.5 ow/w and Superman #23 CGC 8.0 ow/w. It was a good trade AFAIC. But I had no idea HOS #92 would take such a bound in "value", which I think is mostly because of Wrightson's passing. So, from that POV, his death was "inconvenient". I missed that book almost as soon as I mailed it.

5 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Text certainly leaves something to be desired, doesn't it?

I traded my Batman #9 CGC 8.0 ow/w and HOS #92 CGC 9.0 OW for Superman #16 CGC 8.5 ow/w and Superman #23 CGC 8.0 ow/w. It was a good trade AFAIC. But I had no idea HOS #92 would take such a bound in "value", which I think is mostly because of Wrightson's passing. So, from that POV, his death was "inconvenient". I missed that book almost as soon as I mailed it.

HOS 92 has been on a steady rise for the past couple of years. Wrightson's passing just gave it a recent nudge. I think you made good choices with the Supes, especially the 23 with the classic "pissed off" Superman swimming after the Nazis cover. (thumbsu

13 hours ago, Jayman said:

HOS 92 has been on a steady rise for the past couple of years. Wrightson's passing just gave it a recent nudge. I think you made good choices with the Supes, especially the 23 with the classic "pissed off" Superman swimming after the Nazis cover. (thumbsu

Yeah, I know. I have a raw copy and the graded copy of Superman #23. It's a great book. If I had enough money to spend, I wouldn't have to make these choices! LOL!

superman23.jpg

Edited by Randall Ries
picture

On 9/21/2017 at 7:02 AM, Randall Ries said:

...And really, none of us knew him personally and so why behave like a close relative or friend was maligned?

Well, he's may favorite comic artist (considering the entirety of his work) and created my favorite character in Swamp Thing. I got the chance to meet him shortly before his health took its last downward turn, and was bowled over by how nice he was. After the last tumor discovery and subsequent surgery, I followed his progress closely and (like many others) posted words of encouragement when his wife Liz would give us all updates on Bernie's Facebook page. So while he wasn't a personal friend, there was a personal connection.

That's why.

3 hours ago, Vorpal said:

Well, he's may favorite comic artist (considering the entirety of his work) and created my favorite character in Swamp Thing. I got the chance to meet him shortly before his health took its last downward turn, and was bowled over by how nice he was. After the last tumor discovery and subsequent surgery, I followed his progress closely and (like many others) posted words of encouragement when his wife Liz would give us all updates on Bernie's Facebook page. So while he wasn't a personal friend, there was a personal connection.

That's why.

I get that. I bought the Wrightson ST books right off the racks as they came out in the 1970's. Was flabbergasted by the Wrightson/Wein teamup. Redondo took over the artwork and I lost interest. Redondo's work was fine, but the storylines became less gothic and more alien schtick than I wanted to deal with. In the mid eighties, Moore picked up the Saga series and blew my doors off.

I recently picked up signed copies of "Frankenstein Alive Alive!" He had lost none of his artistic style or talent and the are a proud part of my collection. I'd show them to you all, but they are PGX 10.0's and I don't want to butthurt anyone by offering sacrilegious pictures from a rival grading company. But they are beauts!

So, I dug Wrightson a great deal as well. When I say "inconsiderately died", it wasn't out of disrespect, but out of sadness and the knowledge that there would be no more. From a fan POV and illustrating the irony and frustration of the effects of death and endings. I'm pretty sure he didn't die on purpose and it probably wasn't his first choice. Death is - not to be cliche - a part of life. I think he knew that and he may have gotten a chuckle out of my choice of words.

5 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Soon to add Swamp Thing 1 to this.. Was really surprised to see a recent sale of a 9.6 for $1,100... Think I sold my 9.6 for $400 a couple of years ago...

Guess it's a decent fall back if HOS is out of range..

Yeah. I didn't really want an HOS #92 initially. After I collected ST 1-10 in high grade, my OCD said Something's missing. Something's missing. Something's missing. So, I got a 9.0 for $900. Then several years later, I traded it. A year later, my OCD said Something's missing. Something's missing. Something's missing.

2 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Yeah. I didn't really want an HOS #92 initially. After I collected ST 1-10 in high grade, my OCD said Something's missing. Something's missing. Something's missing. So, I got a 9.0 for $900. Then several years later, I traded it. A year later, my OCD said Something's missing. Something's missing. Something's missing.

Man I hate that "somethings missing" feeling. I dont know if its OCD or ESP but when I went for a HoS 92, automatically I went for a Swamp Thing 1 in high grade. Now I have four HoS 92' s all in 9.2\9.4  And two Swamp Thing 1's in 9.4\9.6.

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Man I hate that "somethings missing" feeling. I dont know if its OCD or ESP but when I went for a HoS 92, automatically I went for a Swamp Thing 1 in high grade. Now I have four HoS 92' s all in 9.2\9.4  And two Swamp Thing 1's in 9.4\9.6.

Wow! That's really heavy! HOS #92 went nuts price wise. One of each is all I can have for now. Too many other books that I want before I start doubling up.

7 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Wow! That's really heavy! HOS #92 went nuts price wise. One of each is all I can have for now. Too many other books that I want before I start doubling up.

I started going after them a long time back. I had this "I need to find a 9.6+ in the wild". I could only muster a 9.4 in the last 15 years.

9 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I started going after them a long time back. I had this "I need to find a 9.6+ in the wild". I could only muster a 9.4 in the last 15 years.

Considering most graded copies are cr/ow page quality and the covers are usually smashed, I'd say you did well! Maybe you will share some scans someday.