• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

And the preview of next weeks episode puts him in a dangerous situation as they all discuss his past actions.  He will probably find his way out of trouble via Tyrion

Good point.

Oh man. That's who those ladies were talking about when they are 'talking' with Bronn.

There's one scene in the premiere where Bronn is getting into bed with three prostitutes, two of which can't stop talking about the dragon stories they've heard. One of them references a young, redheaded soldier named Eddie, who had been attacked by a dragon at the Battle of the Goldroad.

1 hour ago, bentbryan said:

It wasn’t a big deal if you had no idea what he looked like and didn’t know it was him 2c

But for those who did recognize him - it was a pointless and complete break from the world of Westeros/GOT.

It'd be like breaking into a short hip-hop theme in the middle of the episode, a bland yet striking invasion of the current morass of "culture" into the realm of GOT. 

I was hoping for something a bit . . .more.

With this being the premiere and 1 of only 6 episodes this season, it was a little underwhelming for me. I understand they had to do some exposition, but it felt like a 1 hour logistics meeting with an intermission for the comedy short - 'Jon Snow's Wild Ride'. Instead of 20 brief clips of interaction/reunion amongst all the cast members, I'd have preferred fewer, but more in-depth conversations. For example - Sansa and Tyrion; The Hound & Arya; or Varys and Tyrion discussing the fate of Littlefinger; etc.

I also didn't believe that Sam would get that upset that his father (and brother) had died. This was a man that had ridiculed him basically from birth and forcefully sent him away to the Wall (Join or Die). When Sam & Gilly (and little Sam) returned to his home, it's not like his father had changed or had regretted sending him away nor was he happy that he returned and actually continued to berate him during dinner. I thought that Sam taking the sword was him becoming his own man (he deemed himself worthy of it) and no longer allowing his father to affect him (whether alive or dead). I just wasn't buying the grief (anger?) that he was showing during his conversation with Jon in the crypt.

It felt like they were trying to stuff a little too much into this episode and make sure everyone got some camera time when some of the extraneous scenes (Bronn & the whores) could have been removed without having any affect on the overall story.

22 minutes ago, Antpark said:

With this being the premiere and 1 of only 6 episodes this season, it was a little underwhelming for me. I understand they had to do some exposition, but it felt like a 1 hour logistics meeting with an intermission for the comedy short - 'Jon Snow's Wild Ride'. Instead of 20 brief clips of interaction/reunion amongst all the cast members, I'd have preferred fewer, but more in-depth conversations. For example - Sansa and Tyrion; The Hound & Arya; or Varys and Tyrion discussing the fate of Littlefinger; etc.

I also didn't believe that Sam would get that upset that his father (and brother) had died. This was a man that had ridiculed him basically from birth and forcefully sent him away to the Wall (Join or Die). When Sam & Gilly (and little Sam) returned to his home, it's not like his father had changed or had regretted sending him away nor was he happy that he returned and actually continued to berate him during dinner. I thought that Sam taking the sword was him becoming his own man (he deemed himself worthy of it) and no longer allowing his father to affect him (whether alive or dead). I just wasn't buying the grief (anger?) that he was showing during his conversation with Jon in the crypt.

It felt like they were trying to stuff a little too much into this episode and make sure everyone got some camera time when some of the extraneous scenes (Bronn & the whores) could have been removed without having any affect on the overall story.

All very true. 

And the one conversation I was really waiting for... I'll still have to wait - Jon and Bran discussing Jon's real identity. Little-who? Yeah, kinda left that hanging too. 

But they did very good at moving the story as much as they could. Gratuitous prostitute scene was intentionally gratuitous, almost self-mocking IMO. 

There's still a lot of drama and inter-personal stuff to hash out before the big battle, so I expect #2 to be much more tense and divisive all the while the closing in of the Battle of Winterfell coming next. 

46 minutes ago, Antpark said:

You clearly have a different view on Sam Tarly's character.  He was clearly upset IMO.  He asked Jon if he would've done the same or show mercy. He asked in regards to his father and brother, no just the brother.  IMHO he seemed to take the news of his father like a champ.  The news of his brother is what made him emotional to the point he had  to excuse himself from the conversation.  As he left and walked down the stairs, he almost got ran over by a horse pulling a wagon because he was not able to think or focus  about anything else around him.

1 hour ago, Antpark said:

I think it was a perfect setup. Some of them STILL do not get it. They still want to have their spit spats standing on the railroad tracks with a train coming right for them. I'm thinking we will see some unlikely heroes paired toghether during the crisis. :) 

Edited by fett

On 4/8/2019 at 6:47 AM, Bosco685 said:

The Starks are prepared!

starksareready01.thumb.PNG.676c0581587aeb34fd05751c4c30022f.PNG

I can see the Stark on the left walking around the Queens Mountain now, pokes him, saying "Elia of Dorne. Anything?" :) 

I also thought Sam’s reaction to his father and brothers death was more than I would have expected. I suppose you cant expect him to say “Oh well they were traitors, sh** happens” but I didn’t think it would cause him to question Dany as a queen. She did the right thing. She offered them mercy and didn’t just execute them out right. I wonder what Sam would have done had he been there. But obviously from previous episodes you can tell his father is a real jerk and practically disowned Sam. Move on. 

19 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

I also thought Sam’s reaction to his father and brothers death was more than I would have expected. I suppose you cant expect him to say “Oh well they were traitors, sh** happens” but I didn’t think it would cause him to question Dany as a queen. She did the right thing. She offered them mercy and didn’t just execute them out right. I wonder what Sam would have done had he been there. But obviously from previous episodes you can tell his father is a real jerk and practically disowned Sam. Move on. 

It was his brother that set him off, who Sam considered an honorable person. You can tell how they were close in Season 6 when he was played by Freddie Stroma.

So to find out he died by his father's side (played by Tom Hopper) has to turn Sam's stomach knowing his brother did this in support of their father.

Edited by Bosco685
better second video

5 hours ago, jcjames said:

But for those who did recognize him - it was a pointless and complete break from the world of Westeros/GOT.

It'd be like breaking into a short hip-hop theme in the middle of the episode, a bland yet striking invasion of the current morass of "culture" into the realm of GOT.

So when you first watched GoT, were you confused why Sarah Connor was there (actually, there are two Sarah Connor's in GoT) and whether or not the T800 was the key to defeating the Night King?

Or were you wondering why Queen Gorgo would defile the memory of Leonidas by marrying Robert Baratheon?

44 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It was his brother that set him off, who Sam considered an honorable person. You can tell how they were close in Season 6 when he was played by Freddie Stroma.

So to find out he died by his father's side (played by Tom Hopper) has to turn Sam's stomach knowing his brother did this in support of their father.

Great scene!