• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

So much wrong in this episode I don't know where to begin but it will be interesting how they take on Cersi now without an army. I guess there are a lot of the north still that decided not to fight but what motivation do they have to fight now for the Iron Throne? 

While cool scene I will say it was ridiculous for Arya of all people to kill the NK not to mention how did she even get to him? it should have been John. She had no history of battling the NK at all as far as I can remember she never even met him before.

Edited by ianh

1 minute ago, zhamlau said:

But he could have just had him brought to him in safety like he always did. When he was going after them in the cave, he sent his forces first. he didnt go head first into it.

Why not bring him to his enclave and kill him in his own way on his own time?

I guess we saw differently.  The night King was surrounded by White Walkers.  Theon charged at him and died. The path was clear and safe to Bran. Only a skilled assassin who could move quick and quietly could get to the Night King before being detected. Arya was fast enough to get by the White Walkers as you saw the hair moving from the wind as she went running by.

All of Arya's training was for this moment in time.  Melisandre told her in season 3 about the eyes she would close forever. Her sword instructor told her about death in season 1 and to tell him "not today".  When Melisandre brought this to Arya's attention again last night, it all clicked for her.  She knew what she had to do. Arya immediately started running to Bran to save him and close blue eyes forever.

2 minutes ago, ianh said:

So much wrong in this episode I don't know where to begin but it will be interesting how they take on Cersi now without an army. I guess there are a lot of the north still that decided not to fight but what motivation do they have to fight now for the Iron Throne? 

While cool scene I will say it was ridiculous for Arya of all people to kill the NK not to mention how did she even get to him? it should have been John. She had no history of battling the NK at all as far as I can remember she never even met him before.

Let me just say that in a fight between Arya and Jon Snow I would put my money on the girl.

4 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Totally agree. Are we allowed to post theories on this thread? If, so read on...

Reveal hidden contents

The Night King's immunity to fire and ability to ride a dragon must mean he was once a Targaryen. The children of the forest had a purpose for creating the white walkers - keeping humanity in check - but this particular Night King (not the first) proved too hard to control. The final episode will show Bran returning north of the wall thinking he is to be the new Three-Eyed Raven, instead he is taken by the children and made their new Night King.

I wondered that as well. Especially given the symbols the NK left. Very similar to the family sigil

7 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Totally agree. Are we allowed to post theories on this thread? If, so read on...

Hide contents

The Night King's immunity to fire and ability to ride a dragon must mean he was once a Targaryen. The children of the forest had a purpose for creating the white walkers - keeping humanity in check - but this particular Night King (not the first) proved too hard to control. The final episode will show Bran returning north of the wall thinking he is to be the new Three-Eyed Raven, instead he is taken by the children and made their new Night King.

I posted an article about that theory a few pages back, and really like the concept. So I thought we were going to find this out yesterday it was...

Spoiler

Rhaegar Targaryen converted over instead of being dead. Which in the end Bran may even state this as one of his visions.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I would love to know what the premise is behind this deep hate.

Like was posted a few times here, it could be as simple as the Three-Eyed Raven represents protecting humanity. So since the Night King represented the opposite of this, then he would be driven to wipe out such a threat. But just getting a little tickle of the backstory of their war on one another would be cool.

I believe it comes from him being created to fight the first of men.  It's all he has ever known. Sam pointed out that killing the 3 Eyed Raven wipes out the memory of man.

Holy!

Game of Thrones Theory Claims the Night King Is Actually...

Game of Thrones' final season is building up to a pretty epic battle as it is, but a new fan theory could add an even more complicated layer to things. As Reddit user TryinToBeHappy recently suggested, the identity of the ever-mysterious Night King could be tied even more to established Thrones lore -- specifically, as ...

Spoiler

It's a really cool theory. I would love to see the show go down this path.

I've already said how I feel about this episode; everything was executed flawlessly from the dark, doom-filled atmosphere of the battle to the shocking climax. But I would have loved to have seen an undead Hodor make a triumphant and terrifying return to the hold he once called home!

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Holy!

Game of Thrones Theory Claims the Night King Is Actually...

It's a really cool theory. I would love to see the show go down this path.

The night King was created to battle the first of men, way before RT was around. I find this theory fun but impossible to be that person.  Maybe someone else from the same house.

10 minutes ago, jcjames said:

To the criticisms about Arya...

Reveal hidden contents

...getting to the Night King so "easily"....

How many months/years was she training to be a silent assassin? More than anyone else, and more than any White Walker or Night King ever encountered.

What kind of lack of "situational awareness" do White Walkers have? Obviously enough for Samwell Tarley (SAMWELL F'N TARLEY!) to run up behind one and stab in the back with dragon glass. One of the White Walkers watching the Bran/NK encounter just happen to notice a whiff of breeze right before Arya struck. They don't seem all that "aware" of much around them until it's on them or passed them.

Arya's been training for that moment her whole fricking life. How many hand-to-hand combat encounters has the Night King had himself in say, the last 100 years? Probably almost none - he relied on sheer number of dead armies to insulate himself from having to ever go mano-a-mano with anyone with any skills.

Good kill Arya.

Thank you, great post.

2 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

The night King was created to battle the first of men, way before RT was around. I find this theory fun but impossible to be that person.  Maybe someone else from the same house.

I'm almost certain it's someone from the same house. I mean, who else is immune to dragon fire besides Targaryens?

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

Also, has it every been explained as to why Bran didn't turn when the NK touched him? That's all it took those living babies in the forest to turn...

You mean Arya? 

NK didn't physically touch Bran, it was a telepathic vision. 

But NK DID physically touch Arya. 

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

And also...why would the Night King allow himself to be put into such a position? He spends eons planning this, keeps himself safe and lets his animated army do his bidding/take all risks at every point UP UNTIL the end? None of his (possibly literally) 1000 body guards were guarding the door? And he is so inexperienced he falls for the same "haha you didnt see my OTHER HAND" trick that killed his main fighter earlier?

What scene are you referring to here? 

BTW, the NK is 1-for-3 in javelin throws at dragons.

Not the prime example of fighting experience there. (Even Bronn got one on his first shot too). 

Edited by jcjames

47 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Hide contents

Did all of the Children of the Forest die in season 6 while saving Bran as he escaped the cave?

12 minutes ago, jcjames said:

You mean Arya? 

NK didn't physically touch Bran, it was a telepathic vision. 

But NK DID physically touch Arya. 

Good point...wonder if that will get resolved in the next episode.

Also, Bran does have his mark on his arm where he touched him in the vision, though. So, there are still physical reactions to events that happen in visions. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

34 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

Oh, I realize that is the real answer. Especially after we saw that vision.

But if there was some handoff for a given reason (i.e. with each major attack on mankind, there must be a handoff to a new Nightking) I was giving it a go. :nyah:

1 minute ago, I like pie said:

I really think the NKs identity will be touched on before the series end. 

I bet you are right. And again, it could tie back to something more recent concerning the rebellion.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:
2 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I really think the NKs identity will be touched on before the series end. 

I bet you are right. And again, it could tie back to something more recent concerning the rebellion.

And probably tie in heavily to any prequel shows. Much like Star Wars. Reveal the big bad and then dedicate years to telling his backstory. $$$$$$$$