• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Catwomancomics said:

The answer is no, it won’t stop people from using that insult.  Those 3 examples are exceptions to how a typical girl fights.

I personally haven’t used that insult in 9 years.  I prefer to insult others by saying “ You fight like a Samwell Tarly”.

And how many White Walkers have you killed?

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:
1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

So if the Night King was immune to dragon fire, does that mean he's a Targaryen?

That was one of the theories, which in seeing this scene reinforced the assumption he was a Targaryen.

I bet they're saving the answer to that for the next series.  SPOILER--probably yes.

28 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I bet they're saving the answer to that for the next series.  SPOILER--probably yes.

I was wondering that. There was some mental exchange that took place between Bran and the Night King. It would be great if in pulling together the War Council we then find out from Bran what it was all about.

7 hours ago, jcjames said:

Why didn't they take some of the dragon glass and embed spikes of it into all of the armor of the warriors instead of (or in addition to) the wooden spikes around the trenches? 

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I thought the same thing. Or even on the Winterfell embattlements line the top with Dragon Glass spikes so when the White Walkers climbed up they died - again.

if you look closely in a few scenes, you can see they did embed Dragon Glass into the embattlements on the top of the walls.  You can see it here when Arya is shooting flaming arrows from one.

DragonGlass.thumb.jpg.cf8852f4a2e3905660d13e8648b63470.jpg

A couple of things...

They had a limited supply of Dragonglass...in the previous episode, there's a scene in the forge when Gendry tells one of his helpers to be be careful with it as there isn't a lot.

Regarding the cavalry charge, it was going to be easier to use them with a clear field. Once the infantry has engaged with the enemy, you can only come at the flanks. Also, a battlefield already littered with corpses, in the dark, would be nigh-on impossible for a horsemen to negotiate.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:49 AM, Bosco685 said:

How does Maisie Williams top this after Episode 3?

Sorry to burst your bubble...

The 2nd one is a fake.

It's at Ashton Gate - home of Bristol City FC (my club) and it's old footage from England scoring on the last World Cup.

It's the new bar in City's new stand - the vid has had many images super-imposed on the giant TV.

Looks cool - but fake.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I still feel like that cavalry charge was such a waste of troops. Especially those troops, which though they can not bring 'shock & awe' to the dead could serve as a massive reserve ready to take advantage of any key openings.

But then we wouldn't have had that intense scene when all those swords went cold. :eek:

Actually, the swords were lit so spectators could see what was going on otherwise we wouldn't have seen sh-t

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 hours ago, Beige said:

Sorry to burst your bubble...

The 2nd one is a fake.

It's at Ashton Gate - home of Bristol City FC (my club) and it's old footage from England scoring on the last World Cup.

It's the new bar in City's new stand - the vid has had many images super-imposed on the giant TV.

Looks cool - but fake.

Why those dirty dogs.... :sumo:

:insane:

The good thing is there are enough real large-group events it is clear how massive GoT fan love is for the show.

8 hours ago, Flaming_Telepath said:

A couple of things...

They had a limited supply of Dragonglass...in the previous episode, there's a scene in the forge when Gendry tells one of his helpers to be be careful with it as there isn't a lot.

Regarding the cavalry charge, it was going to be easier to use them with a clear field. Once the infantry has engaged with the enemy, you can only come at the flanks. Also, a battlefield already littered with corpses, in the dark, would be nigh-on impossible for a horsemen to negotiate.

It's a good point about the limited availability of the Dragonglass, no matter how massive a deposit they had found at Dragonstone's cave.

On the cavalry charge, I have to disagree. There's a reason why military leaders reflect on the 'Charge of the Light Brigade'. The cavalry on old battlefields is the most mobile force a commander can deploy. So you want to use them wisely. Add to this the fire trench that was deployed, and you have some smarter defense that could have occurred.

Some fanatical viewers of the show and books created this massive map based on many reference points. So from this, we can zoom in on Winterfell and its surrounding landscape.

Map of Thrones interactive GoT's map

Winterfell01.thumb.PNG.d5015238efc23e04eb2f71fc7a261354.PNG

From a military perspective, knowing there is limited time to prepare you want to spread out observation posts throughout the local area for timely alerts. Plus, at night to spread the word rapidly back to Winterfell of the oncoming Dead Army they could light small fires back to one another.

Then, spread out the cavalry as a shock force when the time is right. Knowing once the Dead Army cross the river it can strike from two different directions, break it up into two massive reaction forces which will react based on the OP alerts. One force is meant to allow the other to follow up in support of the other since cavalry can move so rapidly.

With the fire trench, rather than one close trench which would be danger-close (so ineffective as a primary defense), you create a wave of trenches to break down the attackers. With as many soldiers at Winterfell gathered together, it could have at least targeted this protection as critical. And knowing a bow can shoot 220 meters (722 feet), use those outer OP's to light FW2 and FW3 not only for breaking up the movement of the Dead Army, but also as an early alert to Winterfell.

Signed, General Armchair!

kidgeneral.PNG.4cb1413a0127d727c661b4b7055a2e87.PNG

Edited by Bosco685

11 hours ago, jcjames said:

Btw... I was able to check off three names from my GOT Bingo dead pool card this week. We have a game going with friends and are watching every week together LOL :grin:

20190430_180132-1.jpg

😀

I saw some videos where people were sharing GoT death pool results throughout the show. But crying while they were watching.

'YEAH. Another one down. Oh, Jorah. I'm going to miss you.' (:

Did Melisandre somehow know Arya was going to end up killing the Night King, with all that talk about shutting brown eyes, green eyes and blue eyes ( this one she looks long at her ) talk.

Edited by Gotham Kid

18 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Did Melisandre somehow know Arya was going to end up killing the Night King, with all that talk about shutting brown eyes, green eyes and blue eyes ( this one she looks long at her ) talk.

It certainly fits the show now.  When season 3 scene was being filmed, I'm not entirely convinced this was the outcome of that conversation.  This scene was based on source material. Fast forward, no more source material.  That being said, this was a genius move to tie it all together.  It works very well and most people didn't see it coming.

Lets talk about Royce,  leader of the Knights of the Vale. Did anyone see him in the episode 3 battle? Is he alive?

In episode 2, just before Daenarys and Sansa kiss and make up in their conversation, Sansa spoke with Royce.  They talked about when to close the front gate.  What most of us missed was the note being exchanged.  Sansa gave Royce a letter/note.  I believe she dispatched him on a secret mission and that's why he wasn't seen in the battle. Sansa is playing the Game of Thrones quite well.  She has learned and is getting very good at it.