• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, TupennyConan said:

Here is my true opinion of GOT, following S8:4

20190508_200440.jpg

Honestly I felt that way about Episode 3. This season is managing to disappoint many (except HBO which is doing great numbers or so they say). 

I don't blame the show writers for the decline in quality.  They did a perfectly fine job adapting the existing books to film.
Considering Martin published the last book in 2011 and they started filming in 2010, I doubt if they realized there wouldn't be another book by 2015 and they'd have to start working outside the books and using outlines.  Martin is a superior writer, no doubt, but he's had as much as 5-6 years between books, while the show runners have averaged a little over a year for each release. 

Point being; if Martin had released book 6 in a timely manner we would of had less seasons of original television content taken from sparse and more sparse outlines, with more seasons consisting of a fine job of adapting finished written material to film.
It's going on 8 years since the last book came out.  That should factor into the criticism, IMO.  After all, the show's supposed to be an adaptation, right?

Edited by Unca Ben

...I suppose they could've postponed the rest of the show until the book(s) were finished (or they had a complete and detailed outline), in order to keep the quality.  I wonder how that would've been received?  (:

Edited by Unca Ben

8 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

I don't blame the show writers for the decline in quality.  They did a perfectly fine job adapting the existing books to film.
Considering Martin published the last book in 2011 and they started filming in 2010, I doubt if they realized there wouldn't be another book by 2015 and they'd have to start working outside the books and using outlines.  Martin is a superior writer, no doubt, but he's had as much as 5-6 years between books, while the show runners have averaged a little over a year for each release. 

Point being; if Martin had released book 6 in a timely manner we would of had less seasons of original television content taken from sparse and more sparse outlines, with more seasons consisting of a fine job of adapting finished written material to film.
It's going on 8 years since the last book came out.  That should factor into the criticism, IMO.  After all, the show's supposed to be an adaptation, right?

Absolutely! The Doubles D’s didn’t sign up to write fan fiction and I’m sure they are eager to get started on their Star Wars project.  To get the most enjoyment out of this last season it seems you have to let certain things go and just allow for the coolness factor. 

I found out 2 weeks ago that work is going to have me on the road and attending functions during the final 2 episodes. Knowing that I will be subjected to spoilers as soon as the episodes have concluded I bit the bullet and read the supposed leaked synopsis of the final 2 episodes that were posted on Reddit and immediately pulled down. Without spoiling it for anyone I am satisfied with the ending and given where we are now seems logical. If anyone wants the short version of how it supposedly goes PM me, I wont even post it here with spoiler tags because it really should be enjoyed as it unfolds, I wish that was how I could do it but my circumstances are different.

6 hours ago, bentbryan said:

Absolutely! The Doubles D’s didn’t sign up to write fan fiction and I’m sure they are eager to get started on their Star Wars project.  To get the most enjoyment out of this last season it seems you have to let certain things go and just allow for the coolness factor. 

I personally noticed a change in "tone" and feeling season 6 when they went off the books.  The first story line I really disliked was the Dorn stuff. I really enjoyed that from the books and they butchered it.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

A reminder how truly twisted The Mountain was even before his zombification.

At 14:14 it’s Qyburn who is a survivor of The Mountain’s slaughter (200 Northmen), I had totally forgotten about that. hm

2 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

At 14:14 it’s Qyburn who is a survivor of The Mountain’s slaughter (200 Northmen), I had totally forgotten about that. hm

I noticed that too.  Then look at the monster he created after the Mountain was poisoned.

8 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

There were scenes I had totally forgotten about. And that middle Mountain actor though 7'1" tall was so much thinner than the first, though a huge fellow.

TheMountain01.jpg.379ca93a2b733985d4ed36ce0be11c60.jpg

• Conan Stevens: 7'1" tall, 320 pounds
  • Ian Whyte: 7'1" tall, 260 pounds
  • Hafthor Julius Bjornsson: 6'9" tall, 425 pounds

No matter what, those are some massive people.

Edited by Bosco685
height correction