• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Sweet Baby Jeebus, so much this!

It's the biggest clue that the team guiding the narrative have either run out of ideas, painted themselves in a corner with the ideas already used, or just aren't very good at their job. It's a cheat, a dodge, a shortcut. 

When they take established characters with painstakingly developed manners of decision-making, ethics, and priorities and suddenly make them act as if they've been lobotomized, all towards the purpose of making "X" plot point occur it's not just an insult to fans who've paid attention but also to the quality material that's preceded it. 

Is the Tyrion that gave the speech defending himself at his trial for murder even the same character as the meek, flat character that poses as the Hand of the queen?

That scene was captivating without a sword being drawn, or a drop of blood.

One of the WORST moments from Sunday is 

Spoiler

The death of Qyburn

I mean you spend 4+ seasons building this person up to a machiavellian level schemer who is unbelievably important, gained a huge amount of power etc and then all you do with them is

Spoiler

freaking swat him like a fly down the stairs to have Cleganebowl II.  SO STUPID.  You want to do the "frankenstein's Monster turns on him" FINE, but set him up better.  Have him standing there giving a better speech, see the mountain struggling with it more (trying to fight between what his master wants and his own desire).  Not just a swat of the wrist.  Then even worse is Cersei slipping past them, without nary a glance at Qyburn who has helped her and supported her for years, and played almost for laughs.  

14 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

Hide contents

The death of Qyburn

I mean you spend 4+ seasons building this person up to a machiavellian level schemer who is unbelievably important, gained a huge amount of power etc and then all you do with them is

Hide contents

freaking swat him like a fly down the stairs to have Cleganebowl II.  SO STUPID.  You want to do the "frankenstein's Monster turns on him" FINE, but set him up better.  Have him standing there giving a better speech, see the mountain struggling with it more (trying to fight between what his master wants and his own desire).  Not just a swat of the wrist.  Then even worse is Cersei slipping past them, without nary a glance at Qyburn who has helped her and supported her for years, and played almost for laughs.  

Everything you say here is just more symptoms of everything being rushed.  It's almost as if D & D are saying they need to get this done now and move on to other big money items (Star Wars), before people realize how badly they mismanaged GOT once they moved beyond the books.

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

Reveal hidden contents

The death of Qyburn

Reveal hidden contents

I noted this the other day, What a waste of a character that could have really driven home the point what a deep and rich story GoT had to tell. Including his working with Varys in some secret pact nobody was aware of until the end.

Missed opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I noted this the other day, What a waste of a character that could have really driven home the point what a deep and rich story GoT had to tell. Including his working with Varys in some secret pact nobody was aware of until the end.

Missed opportunity.

What are you talking about?  What secret pact with Varys?

1 minute ago, jaybuck43 said:

What are you talking about?  What secret pact with Varys?

This was a fan theory that had a lot of promise, where THAT FELLOW may be working with Varys and behind-the-scenes had really been working to undermine Cersei.

Not in the books, of course. But the reasoning behind this made sense. Though it meant he had allowed some big wins to occur to gain Team Lannister's trust.

Speaking of things left unresolved, season 7:

Baelish speaking with a young woman who appears to whisper to him: “Your time is up.” Littlefinger hands her a coin, which looks very similar to the currency used by the Faceless Men

I know this led to some wild fan theories but I assume with one episode left we will never find out what this meant or have I missed something from the rest of season 7 related to this? Please enlighten me if I have!

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This was a fan theory that had a lot of promise, where THAT FELLOW may be working with Varys and behind-the-scenes had really been working to undermine Cersei.

Not in the books, of course. But the reasoning behind this made sense. Though it meant he had allowed some big wins to occur to gain Team Lannister's trust.

Varys would/did HATE that fellow.  There is no chance they were working together nor would any fan theory made sense.  Why?

Spoiler

Varys hates magic.  Why?  Because he was sold to a sorcerer in Myr who gave him a potion that paralyzed him but left him with all sensation as they nullified him (that's the technical term for the removal of the testies and sexual organ).  His "bits" were burned in a fire so the sorcerer could talk to some magical voice. Qyburn used magic as part of his tests, that's how he made ZombieMountain.  No way would they work together.

4 minutes ago, bane said:

Speaking of things left unresolved, season 7:

Baelish speaking with a young woman who appears to whisper to him: “Your time is up.” Littlefinger hands her a coin, which looks very similar to the currency used by the Faceless Men

I know this led to some wild fan theories but I assume with one episode left we will never find out what this meant or have I missed something from the rest of season 7 related to this? Please enlighten me if I have!

:gossip: that was resolved.  He's dead and it wasn't the currency used by the Faceless Men.  He was "getting" the scroll written by Sansa that was aimed at turning Arya against Sansa and giving Littlefinger control over her.  Turns out, didn't work.  Bye bye uncle Peter.

2 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

:gossip: that was resolved.  He's dead and it wasn't the currency used by the Faceless Men.  He was "getting" the scroll written by Sansa that was aimed at turning Arya against Sansa and giving Littlefinger control over her.  Turns out, didn't work.  Bye bye uncle Peter.

(thumbsu

19 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

Varys would/did HATE that fellow.  There is no chance they were working together nor would any fan theory made sense.  Why?

Hide contents

Varys hates magic.  Why?  Because he was sold to a sorcerer in Myr who gave him a potion that paralyzed him but left him with all sensation as they nullified him (that's the technical term for the removal of the testies and sexual organ).  His "bits" were burned in a fire so the sorcerer could talk to some magical voice. Qyburn used magic as part of his tests, that's how he made ZombieMountain.  No way would they work together.

Spoiler tags now after pages of open complaints?

:baiting:

Here's the theories, and why they thought Varys was seeing past his hate from his youth. And with that Varys statement 'Men may be fickle, but Birds I always trust' it was assumed that was part of the link.

Spoiler

Mateo12485

Fire and Blood

Joseph Gleason

It seemed well-thought-out, including addressing your concerns.

Edited by Bosco685
one more video

My predictions for the final episode. This is not what I would like to happen but what I think happens:

Spoiler

Jon Snow tries to confront Daenarys after sacking King's Landing but Grey Worm intervenes. They fight to the death. Grey Worm dies and Jon is mortally wounded. Jon Snow dies in Daenarys' arms. Daenarys, left totally alone and wrought with guilt over her actions, now faces a vengeful Arya and certain death. Daenarys will commit suicide (probably poison or jumping off a high point similar to Tommen) before Arya kills her. Drogon is freed. Tyrion and Davos return North to Sansa and Brienne who is possibly pregnant with a Lannister . Arya goes to a different continent, and possibly has Gendry join her. The Iron Throne is abdicated and each kingdom becomes independent.

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Uh-oh. The show may have done it again.

Hide contents

Notice who doesn't have a golden hand at the end of his arm?

Someone needs to photoshop a starbucks cup in there...

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Uh-oh. The show may have done it again.

Hide contents

Notice who doesn't have a golden hand at the end of his arm?

When did this show get sloppy? The makers are so finished, unfortunately they quit 5 episodes ago. 

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And these show-runners are taking on a Star Wars trilogy? Can we get Josh Trank back? At least he has Fonzo coming with Tom Hardy.

I was excited by the star wars announcement at first.  Now it makes me fearful.  What D&D have shown is they are masters at adapting stories when they have strong well developed source material.  Thus the first 4 and arguably 5 seasons of GOT.  They arguably filmed what JRRM claimed was impossible to film, it took talent and a specific skill set.  Then they moved to the outline, and they did OK for awhile, then season 8.  

If they are being given a strong story and finished well sourced -script, there is hope.  If they are in control of everything, beware.

3 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Reveal hidden contents

The death of Qyburn

Hide contents

They didn't have time... with the Jaime/Euron slugfest taking valuable screentime!

Edited by jcjames

What am I missing? Mercenary Captain is on a white hose with bangs. Dragon flies by and wipes out the mercs. We see a picture of the horse, seemingly dead. 

Later, out of what must be tens of thousands of dead people and animals, the now revived horse and Arya team up. 

Death rides a pale horse. Can we get any more cliché?

It took twenty years but Sienfield no longer has the worst wrap up of any popular series.