• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

11 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

On a side note, having never read the books, I just ordered the first two from Amazon.  Should be a fun read.

One of my all-time favorite reading experiences was the shock of the red wedding. The way that was written was beautiful, and the shock was well earned. I had read it a few weeks before my wife did, and I remember being there when she read it for the first time. She literally threw the book at the wall she was so pissed. It was quite hilarious. I wish people going back and reading the books now could experience that moment, but unfortunately the surprise just won't be there. 

That said, the books are most definitely worth a read. Enjoy!

11 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

I wonder why there isn't more concern about Martin not providing the show with more source material.  8 years since the last book?  The royalties from the show must be tremendous.

We're waaaaaaay past that. That concern started in seasons 3 and 4 when the show started inventing plot lines. 

The first 3 books were just incredible.  The 4th one was good, but a bit of a slog compared to 1-3.  

2 hours ago, Doc McCoy said:

You have to wonder what impact this may have on the planned prequels/spin-offs.  With this many people unhappy about the handling of the final season, will they be willing to give the new shows a chance?

And will Disney have second thoughts about handing D&D a Star Wars franchise?

Good Point, it seems Rian Johnson was pushed aside due to fan dislike and problems in the basic quality of his work.

1 hour ago, Doc McCoy said:

The Cersei who destroyed the Sept of Baelor would have had an exit strategy from The Red Keep during Dany's siege. The Cersei who almost committed suicide to save herself and her son from failure at the Blackwater never would have cried about dying in her brother/lover's arms. The Cersei who killed Robert Baratheon with a well-placed flask of wine would never have been dense enough to think her Lannister soldiers were so loyal and strong they'd defeat a dragon.

Solid point

8 minutes ago, Antpark said:

Solid point

Also Cersei to that point had reached the top because she was always 2 or 3 steps ahead of everyone else.  She was willing to destroy the city rather than lose it, remember how callous she was about making wildfire and distributing it throughout the city before. So yes she would have had an out, and would not have been so passive when she saw she was losing.  She would have been the one to issue the order to burn it all down, and get me the %#$& out of here. She would have been screaming orders,  cursing left and right, and pacing around that balcony. Not staring in meek resignation.

Edited by drotto

3 hours ago, Doc McCoy said:

You have to wonder what impact this may have on the planned prequels/spin-offs.  With this many people unhappy about the handling of the final season, will they be willing to give the new shows a chance?

And will Disney have second thoughts about handing D&D a Star Wars franchise?

Well, it would concern me if I was producing a film or TV show with this team. The number has now gone up.

That hasn't stopped a ton of fans from signing it. At the time of writing this article, just a few days after the petition was launched, more than 456,800 people signed their names. That's nearly half a million. Just 24 hours ago, there were 190,000, so it's gaining quite a lot of steam.

:whatthe:

But then I went to check it. The number had jumped today.

Remake Game of Thrones Season 8 with competent writers

got_petition01.thumb.PNG.1c61813cfd87b2a1be60c5fcb0c1bbe9.PNG

2 minutes ago, drotto said:
10 minutes ago, Antpark said:

Solid point

Also Cersei to that point had reached the top because she was always 2 or 3 steps ahead of everyone else.  She was willing to destroy the city rather than lose it, remember how callous she was about making wildfire and distributing it throughout the city before. So yes she would have had an out, and would not have been so passive when she saw she was losing.  She would have been the one to issue the order to burn it all down, and get me the out of here. She would have been screaming orders,  cursing left and right, and pacing around that balcony.

Well, she did destroy the city. She felt either her ballista would end Dany/the war, or she would be forced to kill all the civilians inside it and in essence end any chance Dany had to replace her.

There were no orders to swear, there were no back up plans for being surrounded on all sides. This was either total victory or pyrrhic victory/defeat for her enemies.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Well, it would concern me if I was producing a film or TV show with this team. The number has now gone up.

:whatthe:

But then I went to check it. The number had jumped today.

Remake Game of Thrones Season 8 with competent writers

got_petition01.thumb.PNG.1c61813cfd87b2a1be60c5fcb0c1bbe9.PNG

The last episode will be what matters. If more people watch it then the record setting amount last week...no issues....if less...issues.

4 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Well, she did destroy the city. She felt either her ballista would end Dany/the war, or she would be forced to kill all the civilians inside it and in essence end any chance Dany had to replace her.

There were no orders to swear, there were no back up plans for being surrounded on all sides. This was either total victory or pyrrhic victory/defeat for her enemies.

No argument with that, but Cersei is never that quiet, and would have had far more fight in her. So much of the character is based on her believing she is better and if she had been born male would have ruled Westeros without a struggle. She would not have fallen into the arms of Jamie should would have been smug and belligerent to the end.  Cersei never showed meekness unless it was a ploy, she was a master at using false emotions and perceptions to her advantage.

I know it was supposed to convey her knowing she had actually lost and not being able to process that, but it seemed out of character.

Exclusive Game of Thrones Storyboards Reveal Gruesome Plan for Army of the Dead

The show-runners evidently considered including not only Karsi, but also Kristian Nairn’s Hodor and more to pepper the Army of the Dead. But audiences were spared that pain, just as they were spared watching any of the show’s heroes having to fight the reanimated corpses of Lyanna Mormont (Bella Ramsey), Dolorous Edd (Ben Crompton), and other fallen fighters at the Battle of Winterfell.

GOT508_111414_HS__DSC0452%255B1%255D.jpg

15 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Different way to look at this. For all the complaining about this season (rightly or wrongly), the viewership numbers are crushing. This is hands down the most watched season it seems and last Sundays episode was the most viewed in the shows history.

If that's all that matters, isn't this season then a smashing unmitigated success?

https://www.cnet.com/news/game-of-thrones-season-8-torches-another-viewer-record-with-the-bells/

Why would viewership be "all that matter" ?

Unless I am a stockholder, stakeholder, investor, or actor paid on ratings/viewings then viewership might be the last thing I'd look at as something that "matters", much less all that matters. 

Lots and lots of people gawk and pay attention to a fiery crash in Nascar....that doesn't also mean that the driver of the crashed car was THE BEST.

6 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Unless I am a stockholder, stakeholder, investor, or actor paid on ratings/viewings then viewership might be the last thing I'd look at as something that "matters", much less all that matters. 

Lots and lots of people gawk and pay attention to a fiery crash in Nascar....that doesn't also mean that the driver of the crashed car was THE BEST.

I bet that Home Theater sales will hit hard if Season 8 turns out to be much lower than other season sales. Especially if HBO pumps up hard media sets (DVD, bluray), and its forecast is way off from reality.

But we are not there yet.

1 minute ago, Bird said:

That is your weakest analogy ever! 

You should quote what your referencing...like so, so folks know who you're talking to and what about. lol 

28 minutes ago, comix4fun said:
15 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Different way to look at this. For all the complaining about this season (rightly or wrongly), the viewership numbers are crushing. This is hands down the most watched season it seems and last Sundays episode was the most viewed in the shows history.

If that's all that matters, isn't this season then a smashing unmitigated success?

https://www.cnet.com/news/game-of-thrones-season-8-torches-another-viewer-record-with-the-bells/

I guess after all these "look how great Captain Marvel is, you haters" posts ive seen based solely on the fact that it did good box office...I sorta figured that was the standard (or at least one of them).

Edited by zhamlau

Just now, zhamlau said:

I guess after all these "look how great Captain Marvel is, you haters" based solely on the fact that it did good box office...I sorta figured that was the standard (or at least one of them).

Naw, that's the weakest argument for arguing the quality of pretty much anything. 

"Look at how great the Kardashians are, they sell $X worth of junk, or have "X" million followers"

"Look at how great Survivor (or inset insipid reality show that's been on for 10+ years here) is, it's been on for X number of seasons, it must be good."

Ratings, money made, viewers, click, likes, followers, etc. are all ways to dodge using the actual quality of a thing from being the metric when criticisms are lodged against it. It's a way for folks to use peer pressure/popularity in place of objective standards of quality to silence reasonable complaints by deeming them outliers to the tide of public acceptance. 

Captain Marvel was a good movie regardless of the money made at the box office.