• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It looks like the-numbers does track Game of Thrones bluray sales.

Gameofthrones_sales01.PNG.3b934ea9f03e99cacca42c94d21fa80b.PNG

Game of Thrones home sales are big business.

I have a feeling HBO does not want Season 8 to have fans with hard feelings. Not sure why, but something tells me this is true. :insane:

Edited by Bosco685

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

Naw, that's the weakest argument for arguing the quality of pretty much anything. 

"Look at how great the Kardashians are, they sell $X worth of junk, or have "X" million followers"

"Look at how great Survivor (or inset insipid reality show that's been on for 10+ years here) is, it's been on for X number of seasons, it must be good."

Ratings, money made, viewers, click, likes, followers, etc. are all ways to dodge using the actual quality of a thing from being the metric when criticisms are lodged against it. It's a way for folks to use peer pressure/popularity in place of objective standards of quality to silence reasonable complaints by deeming them outliers to the tide of public acceptance. 

Captain Marvel was a good movie regardless of the money made at the box office. 

Fans and critics were sorta mixed/negative on it so "great" I think is stretching it. skewering. All you see now on the thread in its defense is its box office numbers. It seems to be the fall back position for a lot of things here.

Just now, zhamlau said:

Fans and critics were sorta mixed/negative on it so "great" I think is stretching it. skewering. All you see now on the thread in its defense is its box office numbers. It seems to be the fall back position for a lot of things here.

How much money did it make? Is a "retreat back into the keep!!" for most things in pop culture, especially when there's a failure, a let down, or harsh criticism. It seems like a defense of the quality of the media in question when it's really calling into question the person criticizing the media for not being part of the "herd". It's circling the wagons of acceptance and inclusion when whether one has "good taste" is in doubt. 

Folks did that with The Last Jedi, and it made it no less a steaming pile of feces. 

Just now, comix4fun said:

How much money did it make? Is a "retreat back into the keep!!" for most things in pop culture, especially when there's a failure, a let down, or harsh criticism. It seems like a defense of the quality of the media in question when it's really calling into question the person criticizing the media for not being part of the "herd". It's circling the wagons of acceptance and inclusion when whether one has "good taste" is in doubt. 

Folks did that with The Last Jedi, and it made it no less a steaming pile of feces. 

Fair enough, I tend to agree with you actually. Just wanted to throw it out there as "food for thought".

You all need to calm down. Someone brought in a psychiatrist to evaluate Dany's behavior.

Janina Scarlet, a clinical psychologist, author, and massive fan of the fantasy genre sides with those who feel let down by Game of Thrones and its most recent episode. This is in part because some viewers felt a certain way about the character and developed a special type of relationship with the fictional character in the fictional world, so when the fiction went a certain way, they were rightfully upset.

"Parasocial relationships can help fans to feel less alone in their mental health struggles, can inspire hope, and create a dialogue about trauma and recovery," Scarlet told CNET. "Seeing a person who came from an abusive childhood, experienced violence, assault and tragedy can inspire many other trauma survivors, especially women, to better understand and process their traumatic experiences as well."

As the story goes, female fans do not often get the chance to identify with strong, independent heroes of their own journey on screen. In the case of Game of Thrones, it appeared the women might actually have a win on their hands in the famuos Khaleesi, who was conquering those who wronged her. Despite her claims of an effort to take what was hers by "blood" and "fire" along the way, the twist in burning Westeros to the ground shocked those who thought they identified with the character.

"For many fans, especially women, who might identify with Daenerys in terms of being a survivor, this sudden change can be both confusing and emotionally distressing," Scarlet said. "Such story arc can appear to take away from agency that many trauma survivors may develop through parasocial relationships."

I know I'm in a minority on this, but I think Dany's turn was hinted at during the entire run, in fact screamed at times.

The reaction to her brother's death, the crucifying of the masters, the burning of the Tully's, the lack of a single instance where she actually heeded somebody's advice.

After losing Jorah, two dragons (her children), and Missandea, she went over the edge.

The problem was in the execution. After the victory of the Night's King we really needed a full season to build up to this next stage, not two episodes. It was rushed.

The same with the Cersei/Jamie issue. I think it was entirely in character for him to return to Cersei at the end, but the way it was executed made it seem to ring falsely.

23 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Marrying your cousin is actually a greater degree of separation than we have seen from this group of degenerates. 

Tywin's wife was his cousin.  So it's pretty common in Westeros.  

5 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Actually...I think this is sort of spot on.

I mostly agree too.

I think people have a hard time separating what just didn't go the way they hoped with bad storytelling.

This was never going to have a happy ending. If you hadn't realized that, you haven't been paying attention.

4 hours ago, marvelcollector said:

I know I'm in a minority on this, but I think Dany's turn was hinted at during the entire run, in fact screamed at times.

Again, I think most people have a problem with it going fro 0 to 60 too fast. Personally, I don't have a problem with her being the villain. There were hints across all the seasons.

To me, it's obvious they just wanted to wrap it up and it was done poorly. They had plenty of time to come up with something good too.

43 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Again, I think most people have a problem with it going fro 0 to 60 too fast. Personally, I don't have a problem with her being the villain. There were hints across all the seasons.

To me, it's obvious they just wanted to wrap it up and it was done poorly. They had plenty of time to come up with something good too.

I have stated that her being the villain was not the issue, and there were some hints, but if they were to stay with the mythology and established pacing of the show she would not just snap. You would have seen her deteriorating over the course of at least one season if not more.

Again though, this wasnt "all the sudden" heel turn. I think she has been becoming unhinged, albeit slowly, since season one. Is there a single season she doesn't engage in getting someone melted down with fire while she looks on coldly (or happily for that matter)? These are not the acts of a stable collected would be leader.

I think just everything came to a head over the weeks leading up to Kings Landing. She lost her children, her friends, he father figure, her would be husband, and every advisor she trusted from the ending point of the Battle of Winterfell. Every good deed she tried to do she felt was rebuffed or drowned out. As we came to the head of the entire journey every person of value in her life was either murdered, tried to murder her, or out right rejected her and her lifes work.

Add that to an established unstable sociopath who is already a charter member of "The burning inconvenient people to screaming crying cinders" social club...you get wholesale slaughter.

Edited by zhamlau

8 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Again though, this wasnt "all the sudden" heel turn. I think she has been becoming unhinged, albeit slowly, since season one. Is there a single season she doesn't engage in getting someone melted down with fire while she looks on coldly (or happily for that matter)? These are not the acts of a stable collected would be leader.

I think just everything came to a head over the weeks leading up to Kings Landing. She lost her children, her friends, he father figure, her would be husband, and every advisor she trusted from the ending point of the Battle of Winterfell. Every good deed she tried to do she felt was rebuffed or drowned out. As we came to the head of the entire journey every person of value in her life was either murdered, tried to murder her, or out right rejected her and her lifes work.

Add that to an established unstable sociopath who is already a charter member of "The burning inconvenient people to screaming crying cinders" social club...you get wholesale slaughter.

Except there is a massive difference between bringing violence against evil (the warlocks of Qarth, the slavers, etc.) and genocide of the innocent. 

I mean would you say that Superman suddenly going on a murder spree would be justified because he was violent towards super villains in the past? 

3 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Except there is a massive difference between bringing violence against evil (the warlocks of Qarth, the slavers, etc.) and genocide of the innocent.  

Well in all fairness, they did cheer on Ned's execution. Maybe Dany was just trying a bit too hard to get Sansa to like her. lol 

I know it is not Dany's plot, but tracing Jamie this seasons illustrates the problems I have this season.

1. He basically does not show up episode,  but we know he is heading North. This is a trip that they have established can take weeks depending on conditions.

2. He finally sees the boy he crippled, and it is brushed off with a head nod, and a few trivial lines of dialog. 

3. They have the Bronn, Jamie, and Tyrion scene where Bronn has also made the improbably fast trip to Winterfeld. He gets into Wintefeld which is on military lockdown no problem. He is easily talked out of killing them based on a promise, and walks away. Why was Bronn even needed this season the plot led nowhere, and did nothing for the story.

4. We have the decent drinking scene where Brienne is knighted. Really a good scene. And a nice payoff for both characters. Brienne is legitimate, and Jamie proves he is redeemed and may be a good person.

5. Jamie fights again on the side of good against his sister's wishes, again showing he is redeemed. But much better fighters die, and with one hand he be all rights should have. Yes plot armor.

6. Forced love scene and fan service with Brienne . Then after proving twice in 2 episodes he is redeemed. Nope he says he is a bad man and runs back to Cersei. 

7. Makes the multiday trip to Kings Landing seemingly overnight.

8. Gets captured. Has final scene with Tyrion. Really the only reason to get him captured. He is released and the army ignors it. Again kinda proves he is redeemed by agreeing to stage the surrender, but still wants to be with Cersei?

9. Makes it to king's Landing , but can't get though the gate. Then magically finds a way into the castle.

10. Eurone magically finds him in the one special cove on the water.

11. Beats Eurone despite being way overmatched and fatally wounded.

12. Despite fatal wound, manages to walk the at least 1 mile back to the Red Keep.

13. Magically finds Cersei.

13. After all that the ceiling gets him.

How all this happens in only 4 episodes where he gets maybe 30 minutes screen time, is unbelievable. Then you add massive shifts in character portrayal. Plus things where the odds of success or plain odd of it happening g are astronomical. It becomes clear that they just wanted to have Jamie hit a set of predetermined plot points in as little time as possible and screw it if it makes any sense or defies logic. They were writing for twists and shock while disregarding everything else already laid out.

15 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Again though, this wasnt "all the sudden" heel turn. I think she has been becoming unhinged, albeit slowly, since season one.

I don't have a problem with the heel turn, although it did seem in earlier seasons they were building Dany up to the savior.  Some people are disappointed that now longer appears to be the case.

What I do have a big problem with is the overall execution.  The show runners built up the Night King to be the big bad.  Then they gave a one or two sentence of his motive, he's killed, the end of that story.  We're now back to human vs human or human +dragon vs human.  That story could have played out A FEW SEASONS ago.  Perhaps you could say what was added in those few seasons was Dany and Jon relationship and something will have to give there in the last episode.  But seriously a few seasons just for that is quite disappointing and doesn't add much payoff to the ending.

15 minutes ago, 234wallst said:

I don't have a problem with the heel turn, although it did seem in earlier seasons they were building Dany up to the savior.  Some people are disappointed that now longer appears to be the case.

What I do have a big problem with is the overall execution.  The show runners built up the Night King to be the big bad.  Then they gave a one or two sentence of his motive, he's killed, the end of that story.  We're now back to human vs human or human +dragon vs human.  That story could have played out A FEW SEASONS ago.  Perhaps you could say what was added in those few seasons was Dany and Jon relationship and something will have to give there in the last episode.  But seriously a few seasons just for that is quite disappointing and doesn't add much payoff to the ending.

The show stresses this is going to be the worst and longest winter in generations.   It could last for several decades.  Rulers are terrified about feeding their people, and the issues may spread further south than ever recorded. Here comes the unstoppable Night King, that slaughtered wildlings to the point the were fleeing south (something that had never happened), he broke the wall which has stood for thousands of years, and he had ripped through forward armies like paper. The dead are going to decimate the living, and Westeros must be united or we die.

Winter is coming is the famous motto of house Stark.

Season 8, yeah winter lasted maybe 2 weeks.

Edited by drotto

The final season of Game of Thrones is proving to be one of the most divisive in pop-culture history, and that's before the final episode has aired. Whatever happens in the final chapter of HBO's hit fantasy drama, the road to get there will be forever be paved with infamy - and apparently one cast member has had enough of the hate.

greyworm.PNG.0b80762189652463c76ff28fe4398490.PNG

Game of Thrones actor Jacob Anderson was being interviewed by some TMZ papparazo (click here), who asked the Grey Worm actor how he felt about fans who are (quite vocally) unhappy with how Game of Thrones' final season is going. His only response:

"That sucks."

It's hard to tell in the video if Anderson is being snarky towards the those complaining about Game of Thrones season 8; if he's generally disappointed that they are disappointed with the result, or perhaps some combination of both.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:36 AM, Catwomancomics said:

Get ready for that bad taste. Everyone that has read the reddit spoilers say it’s coming.

Can anyone PM me where I can find those.