• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

I just wanted to say that, in my opinion - having read the books - I thought the series hit it out of the park. The books are great for the wealth of background but plot-wise there were only two relatively major differences I remember and it will be interesting to see where GRRM takes the novels going forward (I'm assuming his notes fueled the plot for seasons 6-8) and I would be surprised if there is any huge divergence from where the series ended other than perhaps following the main characters past the final episode (I really wanted to see a final scene where Bran worgs into Drogon and sees him carrying Daenerys to a cave slowly revealed to be filled with dragon eggs - and the final scene is her letting out a gasp a la Jon Snow as her eyes open wide).

I will always wonder if this has been apart of GRRM's plan all along, as to why the books aren't finished.   Give D&D an outline of where the books are going and how it will end to see if fans like the show ending.  If it work, then write the books the same.  If it doen't satisfy the majority of the mob, then change the ending.

Just now, Black_Adam said:

Rhaegal chose him to be his rider.

In the novella there were also non-Targaryens who were chosen by dragons to be their riders but it was exceedingly rare (with most hopeful applicants ending up as dragon chow).

6 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

I will always wonder if this has been apart of GRRM's plan all along, as to why the books aren't finished.   Give D&D an outline of where the books are going and how it will end to see if fans like the show ending.  If it work, then write the books the same.  If it doen't satisfy the majority of the mob, then change the ending.

It's not. I started reading the books back in 99 or 2000.  He has been very slow writing the books after Book 3.  I'm guessing he just got burned out with the story.  I think he released the first 3 books in under 4 years (and those 3 were the best).

Edited by Xenosmilus

3 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

Yes, he did. That dragon was Rhaegal and not Drogon. So Drogon will only let Daenerys ride it.

And based on Viserion letting him pet him when he was chained in the dungeon I was sure Tyrion was going to be the third rider (until the Night King shot that theory down).

Edited by Black_Adam

5 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

And based on Viserion letting him pet him when he was chained in the dungeon I was sure Tyrion was going to be the third rider (until the Night King shot that theory down).

I still like my ending better :roflmao:

Edited by Xenosmilus

I thought it was a little slow,

Spoiler

but I was glad they finally found a purpose for Bran, and he mentioned that he might find Drogon, so that part at least made use of his powers. I was a little disappointed in Jon Snow's ending.

16 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Hide contents

I was a little disappointed in Jon Snow's ending.

He began as an outcast and ended up as an outcast.

Similar to Jamie and Cersei, they came into the world together and they went out together.

Edited by sacentaur

8 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

A little? 

Nice 1st half hour, and incredibly slow and plodding last hour. 

It's like they read and followed "Everything I ever needed to know about ending a film/show I learned from Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings" when they wrote this episode...Complete with "There and Back Again, A Hobbit's Tale" included. 

They out Jackson'd Jackson in many regards making their wrap up longer than the central events of the episode. 

I wonder if it was Martin's desire to see ALL of the portents, omens, set-ups, prophecies and sneaky back stories of hidden royal lineage amount to a steaming pile of beans on a hot day in the end. If it was, cool. If it wasn't then I hope the checks were fat enough to sooth the burn. 

Thank God that's over with. 

17 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

He began as an outcast and ended up as an outcast.

I think it would have been nice if John gave a little smirk when he was told he was going back to the Wall. Also I'm not sure why Tyrion, Sansa or Arya didn't bring up John's heritage at the end, I'm guessing they thought the people of Westreos were not keen on having another Targaryen King/Queen for Westeros?

Edited by Xenosmilus